VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to make FFMPEGX able to encode a VOB with a Variable framerate. I just bought a new DVD(National Lampoons European Vacation) and it has a variable framerate. Could someone tell me how to make my vob to vcd with the variable fremerate, OR could Major add in another feature on FFMPEGX 0.4d. Thanks

Qshartle
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just so I am clear on this, are you asking for variable frame rate, or variable bit rate?

If variable bit rate, the standard VCD only allows constant bit rate.
    However, XVCD will allow anything your player can handle.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im going to make the guess that hes sayin its a variable frame rate video, and from what i have discerned ffmepgx doesnt do well with ones that are really severe- thas why i encode the mpeg-2->mpeg-2 in QT or mpeg-2->DV in QT because they are the only ways i've found to get a source file with variable frame rate to a constant 29.97, after that i run it through ffmpegx or mediapipe/mediapowertool to get it to vcd or svcd.
    Quote Quote  
  4. bilestyle
    I understand QT is the best (only) decoder that handles variable in, with constaint out. Though Makira is real close to duplicating that.

Is the output of mpeg2enc in either ffmpegX or MediaPipe variable frame rate? If set to ntsc 29.97 output? If set to ntsc 29.97 pulldown output?

Three answers required.

RNC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bilestyle
    thas why i encode the mpeg-2->mpeg-2 in QT
    If you're using ffmpegX to encode to mpeg-2, you could be interested in trying to add a ".mov" extension to your VOB file. That way ffmpegX will use Quicktime to decode and scale it (you should also uncheck "Bicubic scaling" and "VOB Letterbox").
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will it work with VCD though?
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by qshartle
    Will it work with VCD though?
    Not now, but should work soon.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just rented **MyCousinWeddingMovie** and im going to see if that works.
    Hopefully the new FFmpegX will be able to have smooth mpeg's and variable framerate.

Thanks

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  9. Again, use mpeg-2. mpeg-1 is still not stable enough.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info/edit
    ill try but it will take forever since i have a g3.

Qshartle
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ross
    bilestyle
    I understand QT is the best (only) decoder that handles variable in, with constaint out. Though Makira is real close to duplicating that.

Is the output of mpeg2enc in either ffmpegX or MediaPipe variable frame rate? If set to ntsc 29.97 output? If set to ntsc 29.97 pulldown output?

Three answers required.

RNC
    it appears that with mpeg2enc (from my understanding) will only output one framerate. When you select 3:2 pulldown you need to select 23.976 as your frame rate and set -I 0 in mpe2enc (progressive motino), selecting 3:2 pulldown is supposed to replicate the whole phenomenon (i believe) that causes the bulk of problems with frame rates shifting between 29.97 and 23.976, but from what makira tells me, the only way he knows to fix the problem is run the audio and video through at the same time to keep the decoder aware of which framerate to reference while encoding... he has posted a link in the mediapipe link forums that can explain everything better than i think i ever could: http://www.bretl.com/mpeghtml/timebuf.HTM

hopefully that site can help a little bit more than i can.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by major
    Originally Posted by bilestyle
    thas why i encode the mpeg-2->mpeg-2 in QT
    If you're using ffmpegX to encode to mpeg-2, you could be interested in trying to add a ".mov" extension to your VOB file. That way ffmpegX will use Quicktime to decode and scale it (you should also uncheck "Bicubic scaling" and "VOB Letterbox").
    major, so it will use qt to decode if u add the .mov extension? that is interesting, i've attempted to trick mediapipe into using qt to decode and scale, but never ffmpegx, ill try that out now and let you know my results
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    major---

i have to ask you, how did you script to get qt to decode the video? qt wont decode this video unless you trick it by adding the black frame before using to to decode/encode to mpeg-2...i think that trick worked properly, but i forgot to remove some of the post processing options so it deleted my output file, but when i previewed it at the finish it was the proper length.. ingenious idea... that will actually make it so i can do the full process in ffmpegx instead of my much longer ways... thanks for the tip keep up the good work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. There is code in ffmpegX calling the Quicktime carbon routines to decode when the filename ends in ".mov" (only when target format is MPEG-2, but I'll extend this to other formats soon). If you export the sound to WAV with the same name and in the same folder before starting the video encoding, ffmpegX will also pick it automatically and mux with the video to make a SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeh i added the keep elementary streams and echoed to the command line to see what u sent to movtoy4m to better understand what happens.. its crazy that JUST adding the .mov to the end of a vob file will allow movtoy4m to pipe the output to mpeg2enc -- so it appears the problem must be fixed BEFORE it hits mpeg2enc to get a framerate to be stabilized at 29.97 or 25... very interesting..... i'll definitely have to use this idea/concept when working in new ideas to mediapowertool... thanks alot major great work.
    Quote Quote