VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by richdvd
    Edit- I tried a few of these bad discs in my Panasonic E50 and they aren't recognized in there either.
    Just as a word of warning, there are a LOT of Panasonic recorders out there right now that refuse to see 8x media. It's almost random. Stock up. The E80/E85 are the ones I hear about most, with 8x media being rejected. TDK, MCC, TY, MXL, list goes on.
    I have used 8x Ridata (RitekG05) and 8x Fuji (TY) without any problems in the E50. I think I may try and exchange this Maxell spindle and see what kinda luck the next spindle will give me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After reading this thread(and others) I've tried several MXLG03 discs in the following: Pioneer 510 recorder,Pioneer 220-S recorder,Malata n996,Vsonic 9200mx,and modded Playstation. So far they play without incident. Buy only the Japanese made Maxells.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK
    After reading this thread(and others) I've tried several MXLG03 discs in the following: Pioneer 510 recorder,Pioneer 220-S recorder,Malata n996,Vsonic 9200mx,and modded Playstation. So far they play without incident. Buy only the Japanese made Maxells.
    Aren't all MXLG03 discs Made in Japan....or does Ritek make some discs for Maxell too?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aren't all MXLG03 discs Made in Japan....or does Ritek make some discs for Maxell too?[/quote]

No. They seem to be outsourcing to Ritek. I've noticed some packages have made in Taiwan on them. Mostly the 100pcs. I suspect all those are Riteks. Shame, I much preferred when they outsourced to Taiyo Yuden.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's simple guys:

Made in Japan on package = GOOD
    Made in Taiwan on package = Not so good.

- Jie
    (1)BenQ 1620 w/ B7u9 w/ MCSE speed patch
    (2)Philips 8631 @ BenQ1620 w/ B7U9 w/ MCSE speed patch

GET MCSE HERE

BenQ Ownz j00
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    richdvd the MXLG03 doesn't work in my PIONEER 220-S recorder. i will start a new thread in the dvd recorder section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ma_Jie
    It's simple guys:

Made in Japan on package = GOOD
    Made in Taiwan on package = Not so good.

- Jie
    On my spindle it doesn't say where it is made....anywhere on the label.
    I have seen a few different looking spindles (as far as the labels go)
    This is what my spindle looks like...

Quote Quote  
  8. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a benq 1620 B7P9, and I have not had a single issue with any of the media that I've tried (verbatim, memorex, fuji, tdk, Verbatim DL, all +media never liked the quality of the dvd-r media). I don't see how people keep bashing this burner. If you use cheap media, to save a few $$ then its your own fault that the burn quality sucks. Used for over 350+burns, 35+DL burns and not one issue, all play fine, scans are fine......I'm very satisfied with this Benq burner.......
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look at the bar code, that is where the put where it was made at. Staples has a sale on spindales of 50 all made in Taiwan.
    May the force be with you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is what my spindle looks like...

That is not 8x MXLRG03.

That is either 4x RITEKG04 (Taiwan), 4x MXLRG02 (Japan), or 4x TYG01 (Japan)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Lordsmurf....mine is the same spindle as that, except it says 8x (not 4x as the pic states)...so my discs are 8x and they are MXLG03.
    I posted the wrong pic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We know that Maxell farms some business over to Ritek...
    Would it be at all possible that Ritek makes these discs (MXLG03)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There have been rumours of Maxell shipping production of its own discs to Taiwan. I can believe it given the results I've gotten from MXLRG03 lately. One thing that is definite is that that MXLRG03 is being made at two different plants/production lines. The inner hub serials on the Apple-branded discs I've used in the past, and the ones on the Maxell-branded retail discs that are in wide circulation now, are COMPLETELY different.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I've burned flawlessly 50+ of those MXLG03 with both my Pioneer A06 and the LG 4060B. NEVER had a coaster with the Maxell made in Japan media!!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also got the 50+ of those MXLG03 from staples for like $18. They would not work 1 out of 3 would burn. Took them back to staples and was told they had five returnes in two days. So I had to get the taiwan ones and they been working great sofar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This discs seem to be problem for quite a few people.
    Quote Quote  
  17. would the 8X Maxell discs work in my Pioneer A05/105 burner? I've looked around this site and so far no one has used that combination yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SilverBlade
    would the 8X Maxell discs work in my Pioneer A05/105 burner? I've looked around this site and so far no one has used that combination yet.
    If you get a good batch...they should.
    Quote Quote  
  19. In the German computer magazine "Computer Bild", issue 1/2005, there was a DVD media test. The best of the 15 different tested -R media was Maxell MXL RG03. They tested with 10 different burners. The BenQ DW 1620 was very bad with -R media. It couldn't burn satisfiable 11 of the 15 tested different -R media. Much better results with +R media: Only 3 bad results out of the 25 different +R media. Similar bad -R results with Philips DVDR-1640. According to this test, MXL RG03 had only problems with the BenQ DW 1620 and the Philips DVDR-1640. No problems with all other tested burners, including Pioneer DVR-107.

I'm sure, it's a burner problem. Not a media problem.

I generally ignore other people's evaluation of media, if they don't use newest firmware, or if they use BenQ or Philips burners (with firmware from up to now) to judge minus media.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's possible that magazine got some of the better MXLRG03, the ones from the original Maxell production line (they have shorter hub serials than the newer discs). I've had problems with the gold-topped MXLRG03 on all my burners (PX-712A, PX-716A, GSA-4163B, SOHW-812S) so it can hardly be a burner problem.
    Quote Quote  
  21. can someone tell me how to read those scans at the beggining of the the thread. Just curious!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by MUK1011
    can someone tell me how to read those scans at the beggining of the the thread. Just curious!!
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=80545
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joeg04
    I'm sure, it's a burner problem. Not a media problem.
    You're wrong.
    As I said before...they were tested in 3 different burners and a standalone recorder.

I generally ignore other people's evaluation of media, if they don't use newest firmware, or if they use BenQ or Philips burners (with firmware from up to now) to judge minus media.
    I have tried various firmware versions on the NEC, Pioneer, and BenQ.
    So, you can't really ignore the fact that it's the discs.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by richdvd
    It would be very helpful, if you would tell exact details. What was the newest firmware version on the Pioneer (which one?) you tried, that gave bad burning results with MXLRG03 media?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would be very helpful, if you would tell exact details. What was the newest firmware version on the Pioneer (which one?) you tried, that gave bad burning results with MXLRG03 media?
    Right now on my 107, I believe it is 1.21
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by richdvd
    Right now on my 107, I believe it is 1.21
    If that is the case, it's likely also a media quality problem.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!