VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi there, im trying to convert or shrink a full bluray to mkv and every program i try is turning my pc right off, makemkv works fine but doesn't shrink the file, but if i put the full bluray in a program or the mkv file to shrink it it just closes right down, avchdcoder tells me there is a problem with the file and doesn't close down but the programs closing down are

Clonebd, dvdfad, handbrake - 2 different version, 0.94 used to work fine, but that is now closing the pc down and ive tried to pc's and different mkv files. Ive dont it loads of times before but some just dont work

Has this ever happened to anyone else and do you know what the problem might be, ive been trying all day and all im getting is a closed down pc
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please provide more information about your computer.
    Like how much ram and processor, operating system ect.

Are your graphics card drivers up to date ??
    And are your computer's dvd drives have the latest firmware.

DVDFab has another setting to try - click common settings - av codec
    and switch everything to software Restart dvdfab and try the disc again.

If your pc keeps shutting down you might check to see if
    It has sufficient cooling or check the thermal paste on the CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It sounds like you have an overheating problem. Run a program like Core Temp to monitor your CPU temperatures.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    Quote Quote  
  4. well im using windows 7, 6meg of ram phenom IIx4 945 processor, graphics uptodate, im using downloaded files or files ive already converted to mkv and want to shrink them down to bd25

i have just downloaded core temp and its running at 53% on all 4 cores. it usually turns off within the first 10/15 mins of starting

Surely your not telling me i can play games without any bother but i cant decrypt/convert a bluray file, without it potentially overheating

im trying dvdfab on the other pc shrinking an mkv to fit a bd25 and the core temp is min 76% and max 96% and that has just stopped aswell
    Last edited by adamf154; 23rd Apr 2017 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    i have just downloaded cool temp
    Core Temp?

Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    and its running at 53% on all 4 cores.
    At idle? What about when encoding?

Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    Surely your not telling me i can play games without any bother but i cant decrypt/convert a bluray file, without it potentially overheating
    Video encoding is much more CPU intensive than most games.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ive already edited my last post with the answers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    im trying dvdfab on the other pc shrinking an mkv to fit a bd25 and the core temp is min 76% and max 96% and that has just stopped aswell
    Yes, you're overheating. Make sure your CPU and case fans are still working. Assuming the are... you can try just blowing all of the dust out of the heat sink and fan. If that doesn't work, remove the heat sink, clean all the old thermal paste out, and apply new thermal paste. If even that doesn't work you may need a bigger/better heat sink/fan.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ok so what heat should it be going at?, yeah ill buy some thermal paste, the cpu's are both 6/7 years old and i think i only put paste on it first time so ill get some for both and try that, and see if it works, well ill not be replacing the heatsink and fan as im close to buying an am3+ board and processor and that will come with its own heatsink and fan and ill still be using this one but not for much that would cause it to overheat
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be sure to clean out your power supply as well as the CPU heat sink fins. I usually aim for once every 3 months (with pets in the house) but most people should do it at least once a year.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely over heating, I had the same problem and with the temps you mention that is too high, As already mentioned, try cleaning and blowing the computer out, also you can leave the side cover off the case and put a fan blowing on it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've ran that CPU in the past. It's a 125W CPU. It needs a fair amount of cooling. I used a Corsair H50 water cooler and never looked back. If it's running at 100% on all cores as it should, it will get hot. Needs to be 60C or less at 100% CPU, IMO.

First clean out the dust in the PC. And consider upgrading the CPU cooler and your case fans.
    You might also replace your CPU thermal compound. It can degrade quickly with a overheating CPU.

The GPU can also add a considerable amount of heat to the case. Try running with the side cover off and with a fan directed into the case as suggested. If that makes a large improvement, then upgrade your CPU cooler and your case fans.

Easy to check.
    Quote Quote