VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm converting some music videos found on a movie dvd with virtualdub and xvid 2-pass. It's all good, great results. But when I'm using the built-in crop fuction from virtualdub the final video contains a black translucid border in the right corner of the video.

How can I resolve this?

--------------------
    Tools used:
    vdub 1.9.8 and 1.8.8
    xvid from k-lite codec pack
    Quote Quote  
  2. You have a playback problem. Use a mod8 or mod16 frame size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get it...
    Playback or Width/Height encondig?
    For playback I tested the videos in MPC-HC / Mplayer / VLC, all these have the black border...
    for encondig used 696x296, multiple of 8... but not 16...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some codecs don't like frame sizes that are not multiples of 16 or 8 or 4. When you play files with frame sizes that the decoder doesn't like you may get a border with junk at the edge of the window (or even worse problems). This often happens when you use one codec to create the video and another to play it back (for example, Xvid to encode, Divx to play back).

696x296 are both mod8 so I wouldn't expect many decoders to have problems with them. By " a black translucid border in the right corner" I assume you mean the right edge? Or do you literally mean a corner? If you open the video with VirtualDub do you see the problem there? Does it appear in a player window? Only when full screen? Can you post a small sample?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK...

For enconding, frame size on multiple of 16 solved the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, you right jagabo...
    not right corner, the right edge
    opened the file with virtualdub and the black border persists... (the old one)
    the new files are ok.

Thanks for all the help, jagabo.
    Quote Quote