VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Anyway, this evening I'll try to play it with the Intel iGPU on the CPU: we'll see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just noticed one important think, that is somehow related to my previous post. In Nvidia h264 encoding you can't set bitrate to 100.000 kbps nor 99.999 kbps. So they probably knew why.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, that is a consumer encoder, again, thought for delivery formats: no need to go to the highest bitrate possible. In Premiere it goes upto 240Mb/s. In Resolve you have no limit: nothing related to professional video encoding. Besides, that should encode, here we talk about decoding.
    There are tons of professional h.264 videos out there, all with these and higher bitrates: Nvidia knows perfectly it's needed to support those bitrates in decoding. More, even in the same camera GH5, now there is the option to record h.264 All-I at 400Mbit/s!
    BUT these are relatively LOW bitrates in professional! For example a UHD prores 422 file can go at 754 Mbps (imagine at 444...); recording in RAW you need 2xSSD both recording, so it has more than 500MB (byte not bit!)/s, that is more than 4000 Mbit/s!
    So, 150 Mbit/s with modern pc isn't all that problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The difference is content for editing purpose and final product. If you distribute video at 150Mbps, you wasting space of medium or bandwidth. There is reason to keep uncompressed video (editing purpose) But not for distribution. I believe there will be 0 difference at this bitrate between h264 and h265 (with similar settings). Possibly Xvid at this bitrates can be same as well.
    So higher bitrate doesn't mean better quality at this size. If you use this bitrate, you can store about 3-4 minutes to ordinary DVD. Keep them at this bitrate, but do not distribute it at this nonsense bitrate. You can get much lower bitrate without or with not noticeable quality loss.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, who ever think of using these bitrates for delivery purposes??
    But these bitrates are NEEDED not especially for editing, that should be sufficient an All-I frames codec, but especially for retaining the details and color depth precision for the color-correction process. You WILL SEE the difference with lower bitrates in some circumstances.
    In every case, if you have such a file, it should be possible to play it on a normal player. I mean potplayer can really play those files, it's only a problem of some renderer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For editing purpose you don't need real time playback. And I don't believe I will notice color difference in good created video with good setting. It is up to encoding codec, to do it right and up to user set up it right. Such bitrate is probably because Lumix at lower bitrates is unable to record in real time all that details.My guess. But it is recording not playback. You don't need such bitrate to achieve same quality when real time playback. That is all I want to tell you.

Howgh

Bernix
    Quote Quote