VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I realized after posting this thread that the topic ended up not being exactly what I meant to ask, but did not figure out how to edit the topic title. Basically, I want to know if someone can confirm if both (or which) of the following instances that would work OK:

1. A PAL VCR, playing a PAL VHS tape, connected with standard RCA cables to a standalone NTSC DVD recorder - would the DVD recorder be able to receive the PAL signals and record them into a NTSC DVD?

2. A PAL VCR with the capabilities of playing back NTSC tapes, playing a NTSC tape, connected with standard RCA cables to a standalone PAL DVD recorder - would the DVD recorder be able to receive the converted NTSC signals and record them into a PAL DVD?
    I know back in the VHS days, I tried connecting a PAL VCR with NTSC-playback support to another PAL VCR and attempted to record the converted NTSC signals into PAL signals on the other VCR, but it would not work. So I was wondering if it's different when using a digital recording device (in this case a PAL DVD recorder).
    Last edited by guy24s; 28th Jul 2017 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Neither. At least if you want color.

Option 1. No signal
    Option 2. Black & White Picture. The output from that NTSC tape is neither PAL or NTSC. It is called PAL60.

And you are wrong in your basic assumption. That PAL DVD Recorder is still an analogue device at the point of signal input.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for replying and clearing it out for me.
    Quote Quote