VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I made Bluray Rock Concerts Collections (Dolby 5.1) for personal use in Parties etc....
    I choose about 5 concerts, make a selection of the songs/videos, and Author it using TMPGenc 5. (I cut/select/author all using TMPGenc)
    The Concerts itself are not with the same 5.1 audio level, so I use "Audio Uniform/Standart -12db" option in TMPGenc. It works, but the final sound is a lot compressed.
    Is there any other way to do it with better audio results???
    Any help is welcome.

Thanks

Antonio
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For pratical reasons, I convert the Bluray Collections to mkv, using Make Mkv!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Guys,
    No replies!!
    I tried normalization using Mkv2ac3, works, but the result is not audible.
    BS Fag, works , but convert to 2 channel (not acceptable).
    Volume Normalize Master, the program does no Work (gives error)

Thanks

Antonio
    Quote Quote  
  4. AC3 may introduce dynamics processing depends on encoder settings - definitely you should be aware of Dolby DRC metadata.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know about the tools you are using, but just know a little bit about general audio editing, and -12db is a HUUUUUGE reduction that would result in a super compressed signal if it is in fact a compressor that sets a hard or soft limit at -12db. Are you able to adjust these parameters to say -3db?

Normalizing with stereo files is simple to do but I'm not sure what additional witchcraft is needed with 5.1 tracks.

Do you care about the video at all or is your primary objective to end up with normalized audio only filles? (ex. 5.1 AC3).
    Last edited by greymalkin; 21st Jul 2018 at 20:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by greymalkin View Post
    I don't know about the tools you are using, but just know a little bit about general audio editing, and -12db is a HUUUUUGE reduction that would result in a super compressed signal if it is in fact a compressor that sets a hard or soft limit at -12db. Are you able to adjust these parameters to say -3db?

Normalizing with stereo files is simple to do but I'm not sure what additional witchcraft is needed with 5.1 tracks.

Do you care about the video at all or is your primary objective to end up with normalized audio only filles? (ex. 5.1 AC3).
    -12dBFS is conservative but justified in live broadcast principle - also this is only 2 bit quality loss and as such 14 bit it is still very decent quality from consumer perspective (especially with proper dithering and noise shaping).
    Normalization for multichannel is very complex and probably best idea is to normalize center, left and right but remaining channels should be untouched (or normalized only to some peak safe value) - normally with modern audio codecs accuracy (and quality of encoders) such operations are quite safe (most of audio codecs offer at least 20bit accuracy this 16 bit audio has some 20 - 24dB safe headroom)
    Quote Quote