VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi to everyone

I have some old tapes from the past, and I will like to convert them to CD, using the PC. My audiotape player, does not have audio out puts (red and white jacks), in order to transfer the audio signal to PC. The audio player has only simple red and black wires, for the speakers. I do not now, if there ill be a solution to transfer the audio signal, in this case. Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well since it doesn't have a headphone jack from your description.
    There are these two options

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102955

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102959
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by craigarta
    Well since it doesn't have a headphone jack from your description.
    Thanks a lot. Actually there is a headphone (never used)... so, what kind of connector I have e use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well than is a really easy one.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kw=mini+to+rca&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&c...wCatId=2032058

I used the samething way back with a tape deck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If both the tape player headphone jack and the PC inputs are stereo, you would probably need a 3.5mm (1/8") male stereo plug to a 3.5mm male stereo plug adapter. Most PCs don't use a RCA Phono plug for input. So something more like this? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103871 You could also probably find cheaper versions of that. It's a fairly common adapter.

Once you get it hooked up you could use a program like the freeware Audacity to capture and filter if wanted. Make sure you enable 'line in' on your PC audio card settings.

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by redwudz
    If both the tape player headphone jack and the PC inputs are stereo, you would probably need a 3.5mm (1/8") male stereo plug to a 3.5mm male stereo plug adapter. Most PCs don't use a RCA Phono plug for input. So something more like this? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103871 You could also probably find cheaper versions of that. It's a fairly common adapter.

Once you get it hooked up you could use a program like the freeware Audacity to capture and filter if wanted. Make sure you enable 'line in' on your PC audio card settings.

Thanks a lot my friend!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redwudz

I would like to ask something about Audacity. Can this software, during the conversation from tape to PC, can separate automatically the song tracks that are in the tape?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you would have to do that manually. If there is silence between the tracks, you should be able to see that on the time line and that should make it easy to find the individual tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by redwudz
    No, you would have to do that manually. If there is silence between the tracks, you should be able to see that on the time line and that should make it easy to find the individual tracks.
    Ok, thanks my friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a dollar tree in your area (or a 99 cents store), they carry those patch cords there. Especially in your situation, there's not going to be much difference between a $50 and a $1 cable*.

*yes, I said it, Audio Snobs. Come and get me!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by redwudz
    Anyway my friend, one more question if you do not mind: May you tell me, if there is any software similar to Audacity, that can separate the track automaticlly by itself during the transfering? Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few programs out there that can be set to detect the 'silence' between tracks and separate them during conversion to digital audio. No experience with these, but if you do a internet search for something like, ' vinyl conversion automatically detect and split tracks ', you should find some listed. You could probably substitute 'cassette' or 'tape' for the word 'vinyl'.

Using a program like Audacity, it's not that hard to locate the 'quiet' between tracks. Then it just involves cutting and saving each out. Most often you will need some filtering also to clean up analog noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TotalRecorder can, but the version that can is about $50 US. Another option is to record and filter with Audacity, saving the output as MP3. Then you can use MP3 DirectCut to find the breaks and automatically chop the file up. Personally, I'd just manually cut them up unless I had hundreds of tapes I was transferring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its not free, but does convert from vinyl to CD, or cassette to CD and also has the ability to automatically split the recording into tracks or manually if the splitting is not accurate enough

It also can reduce the amount of crackles or noise on your original recording without getting to expensive, it even explains how to go about recording to CD so it explains the whole procedure step by step

It can also let you convert your 78's to CD by playing them at a different speed then the software converts that back to the correct speed if you don't have a player capable of playing 78rpm vinyl

http://www.acoustica.com/spinitagain/index.htm
    Quote Quote