VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. An ISO/IEC standard 14496 developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG), the committee that also developed MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. These standards made interactive video on CD-ROM, DVD and Digital Television possible. MPEG-4 is the result of another international effort involving hundreds of researchers and engineers from all over the world. MPEG-4 was finalized in October 1998 and became an International Standard in 1999. The fully backward compatible extensions under the title of MPEG-4 Version 2 were frozen at the end of 1999, to acquire the formal International Standard Status early in 2000. Several extensions were added since and work on some specific work-items is still in progress.

MPEG-4 builds on the proven success of three fields:

Digital television
    Interactive graphics applications (synthetic content)
    Interactive multimedia (World Wide Web, distribution of and access to content)

More information about MPEG-4 can be found at MPEG’s home page
    Quote Quote  
  2. And the point from this post is?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's a glossary entry dude
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think its just an FYI. Its kinda cool to know more about the tools you use to copy movies and music dont you think
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And the point from this post is?
    Aaaaaaaa, so you can know what the definition is?
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  6. oops thats the glossary forum. I have to get used to these forums again. It's been few years since my last post although I registered recently. Errr lost my old user and pass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have Quick Time Pro 6 on PC and It makes a file called MPEG-4... However this won't play on the media player.
    The Medial Player has many types of MPEG-4 from what I unerstand. But none of these will play in the quick time player..
    Why isn't MPEG-4 crossplatform like MPEG-2?

Types of sorta MPEG-4 on windows:
    Microsoft V1 codec, V2, V3 is there more?..comes out .WMV extension
    .ASF or advanced streaming format some kinda mpeg-4
    and .AVI wrapper for DIVX and other forms of MPEG-4
    none of these will play on a MAC unless you install the windows media player, and even then its a challenge!

On MAC MPEG 4 is output export from QUICKTIME PRO 6..but at a maximum frame size of 320x240? is this really so?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    QT can also output other types of video files which are not based on mpeg4 (just to confuse things more) ..
    Quote Quote