VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I recently had a series of old 8mm videos transferred to AVI by a company, no problems quality was great the company I used was www.video-to-dvd.co.uk . Now I fancy editing out the rubbish and assembling clips to give to family members. I bought a new Windows HP Laptop which is man enough to do the job, but software is where I'm struggling, I don't want to spend £100's of pounds as already spend quite a bit. So could anyone recommend some home user friendly software that is compatible with Windows 10? Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't found an editor that doesn't work with Windows 10, if you want simple try AviDemux or Virtualdub, both are free, small learning curves.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have not mentioned what your final delivery format will be (DVD, USB stick, etc), but some of the more popular packages for simpler projects are Adobe Premiere Elements and Sony Movie Studio. I do not use either but you can visit the websites and check for compatibility with Windows 10.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use Premiere Elements. Worth the money, imo...

Windows 10 Home Premium
    Last edited by OneIron; 22nd Jan 2016 at 10:28. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SolveigMM Video Splitter might be worth a look. It isn't free but the Home Edition version isn't expensive. You can try it before buying.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You already have DVD format
    That means file structure is not simple for editing
    You will need to copy/rip the DVDs to you pc hard drive
    Then possibly convert them to another format
    As the vob files might end and start in the middle of a section you want intact
    When you are done with your edits you create / author a new DVD
    DVD editing aka editing vob and info file structure can be done on the hard drive
    But it is not as simple and straight forward as editing a single complete video file
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    You already have DVD format
    That means file structure is not simple for editing
    You will need to copy/rip the DVDs to you pc hard drive
    Then possibly convert them to another format
    As the vob files might end and start in the middle of a section you want intact
    When you are done with your edits you create / author a new DVD
    DVD editing aka editing vob and info file structure can be done on the hard drive
    But it is not as simple and straight forward as editing a single complete video file
    Read the first post again. PhilNorman said the video was delivered to him as an AVI, not a DVD. I checked their website and the video transfer service he used does offer AVI as an option.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops..you are correct
    Avidemux is a good choice and easy to use
    Then he can make DVDs for the family
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Premiere Pro 2.0 has been freeware for some time now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Movie Studio? $49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I treated myself to Adobe premiere in the end as going to be a lengthy project.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by PhilNorman View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I treated myself to Adobe premiere in the end as going to be a lengthy project.
    Assuming you mean Premiere Pro? Wise choice. Trying to do a complex project with simple splitting and joining tools like Avidemux would make it a considerably longer process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah when for Pro as this is going to be a longtime project. We also have a lot of old cine films from the 60/70's to transfer too which I am in the process of having done at their sister company www.cine-to-dvd-transfer.co.uk - so I can prob say good by to my social life for sometime lol
    Quote Quote