VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a captured stream which I converted from .ts to mp4 and smaller size.

Unfortunately the pieces ends rather abruptly and I'd at least like to have it fade out.

What is a current freeware tool to do so? Foto2Avi is one program I've seen a title for but know nothing of it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Unfortunately the pieces ends rather abruptly and I'd at least like to have it fade out.

What is a current freeware tool to do so?
    AviSynth:

FadeIO0(45)

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Fade
    Quote Quote  
  3. .... I don't understand the code in the link but AVISynth will load an mp4?

I really only stand a thing like a fade where you would either mark it with an index hairline marker like and audio program or select the start and end frame for fade.

I'd like to put an act break marker in it as well and make a part one and apart two.

AviSynth and Virtualdub are always confusing to keep straight.

Does the code you offer install in AVISynth as a script? Or is it a command?
    Quote Quote  
  4. which I converted from .ts to mp4
    How?

FFMPEG has a fade filter that could be used in the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am familiar with the program name FFMpeg as well but do not recall ever having actively used it.

Does the filter then determine where the end is and select a number of frames to fade?

Virtual Dub as I recall can make a cut/separation to make a part one and part two.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    .... I don't understand the code in the link but AVISynth will load an mp4?
    Yes, I use FFVideoSource on MP4s to open them.
    Does the filter then determine where the end is and select a number of frames to fade?
    It easily determines the end (and/or the start) and you select the number of frames to fade. In my earlier example I chose 45 (not quite 2 seconds for a 23.976fps video) and faded both in and out in the single command.

I'd like to put an act break marker in it as well and make a part one and apart two.
    The Trim command can easily split videos:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Trim

Does the code you offer install in AVISynth as a script? Or is it a command?
    It was a single command within a larger script which would also include a source command (the line in the script that opens the video). You should probably go to the AviSynth site and begin reading if you're interested in using a very good freeware solution to the problem mentioned in your first post. There's a serious learning curve but for those of us using it regularly and for those doing a lot of work with video, it's well worth it. Or forget I ever mentioned it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I looked at the introduction to AVI Synth. Imagine my disappointment to see the first word of introduction: "Basically." If I never ever Ever hear or see the word again it will be too soon.
    Basically immediately demeans and condescends to the listener so no, I won't be learning AVI Synth.

thank you for your time as always.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    ...so no, I won't be learning AVI Synth.
    Hehe, no matter how powerful or useful it might be, because you object to a the use of a certain word in a description you don't want to try and learn it? I've read lots of reasons for people refusing to learn it, but that's a new one on me.

You have to understand that many, if not most, of the people developing it and writing the pages on the site don't have English as their first language and aren't as aware of its nuances or as precise in its use as you might wish them to be. Heck, I daresay even most Americans and Brits wouldn't find anything objectionable. I don't use the word myself, not because I find its use implies arrogance but because it's hackneyed. I'm sure no one was consciously being demeaning or condescending.

Also, I believe anyone, once they're approved, can make edits or additions to the pages. Maybe you'd like to volunteer to clean up the English? I think you only have to create an account. I don't know for sure but I know most of the people involved and could help if you want permission to get rid of any words or phrases or clean up the writing in other ways.

My own belief is that anyone spending a lot of time working with video for one reason or another but without the thousands of dollars to spend on high end software can really benefit from a solid knowledge of AviSynth. For my own projects I couldn't live without it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @loninappleton, so then you're basically screwed out of a lot of things, huh? I guess the whole "xxx for Dummies" series is right out then. Imagine my disappointment.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try AviUtl, at least it is a GUI NLE program that doesn't force you to write script.
    Drag-N-Drop your MP4 onto the timeline, then add the "Fade" effect, zeroing the Fade-in value and adjust the Fade-out value.

For basic introduction of the program, see:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360967-AviUtl-video-tutorial?p=2288628#post2288628
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides/aviutl-newbie-guide-non-official-in-english-id1276

For advanced usage tips:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366724-Aviutl-Tips-Tricks-and-Support-thread
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  11. @manono

(Sigh) Alright I have relented and calmed down. I've mentioned elsewhere here on VH how I see red when that happens. Today I could not even find that particular introduction. But the problem is no fluke.

This intro was brief and had a starting place.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/avisyntha.html

Please suggest another which might be more formal and complete if you will. I have made many guides for many things. What I'd like to have is a step by step procedure.

The goal on this MP4 job is to
    1.) make a part one and part two

2.) have part two fade to black

3.) and I've seen where rolling credit text can be
    added. On the credit roll it can simply say "The End"
    on a slow crawl.

This last I saw in some other AVI Synth script via a google search.
    Quote Quote  
  12. FFVideoSource("Movie.mp4")
    #Trim(0,99999)#Part one, if there are 100000 frames you want to save
    Trim(100000,0)#Part 2
    FadeOut0(45)#Fade out the end of part 2 over 45 frames

I don't know how to make a scrolling 'The End'. You could add a bunch of black at the end. Repeating the last frame however many times you like with a Loop command is one way and then adding the text via AviSynth's Subtitle filter. Someone else can show you how to scroll it.

To use FFVideoSource you need the ffms2.dll and ffmsindex.exe. You'll also need the Haili Media Splitter. It's all explained in the included ffms2-avisynth.html. And remember, the use of AviSynth always requires a full reencode. You can't just split your MP4. If that's all you want to do (without other filtering) there are other programs for that.

https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2

I only handle video in my scripts but you can also include the audio (like when you want to split both audio and video).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. I was looking around for end credit things and this is one of them:

https://compactvideo.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/scrolling-end-credits-using-avisynth/

The link has some sort of animate and repeat command plus subtitle commands for the text from my brief read of it.

There was one in VH as well.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/325690-Create-scrolling-text-effect-for-Movie-Credi...-and-png-image

And I wonder how deeply Doom9 is into Avi Synth.

But I know nothing of writing code. Or what a PNG image is. It's interesting to know the technique exists.

I have to go over the replies made so far.

It would be good if (without the troublesome introductions) the steps would be laid out in this thread one at a time: all the Halli splitters and whatnot to get AVI Synth going. But I think I have much of that already-- perhaps not organized the right way for AVI Synth. Then there's exactly how to patch in script code and how any of it functioned together.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    And I wonder how deeply Doom9 is into Avi Synth.
    Much more than is this site. After all, they have two complete sub-forums devoted to it and the majority of the developers work out of there.
    Or what a PNG image is.
    It's just another kind of picture, like JPG or BMP.
    It would be good if (without the troublesome introductions) the steps would be laid out in this thread one at a time:
    Not I. Maybe someone else has the patience. Do some reading, some experimenting, and when you come across specific problems ask specific questions. Always include the complete script that's not working and a video sample if the script doesn't do what you think it's supposed to do to a specific video or you have questions about how to handle it.
    Then there's exactly how to patch in script code and how any of it functioned together.
    That's what the introductory pages of the AviSynth site are for. Or, if you prefer elegant language in your tutorials, read the docs included in the DGMPGDec package. If you intend working with DVDs or MPGs of any kind, you'll need it anyway. Donald Graft (neuron2) wrote the tutorials and he's the best in the business.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    But I know nothing of writing code.
    I'm on YOUR side on this one.
    People here just knee-jerk blurt out "just do it in avisynth", or worse.....just post a script as an answer.
    It's ridiculous. They know damn well that most people have no idea what Avisynth even is....let alone know
    what to do with a script.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It's ridiculous. They know damn well that most people have no idea what Avisynth even is....let alone know
    what to do with a script.
    Then provide him with a different free solution for what he wants to do - cut an MP4, do some fades and add a scrolling line of text to a black screen at the end - only the beginning, I'm sure. MaverickTse suggested his freeware AviUtil, but it ain't exactly easy to learn either.

He's around here a lot so obviously he has a serious video hobby going on. What would you suggest? Sony Vegas? Hardly. Virtual Dub? Maybe for some of what he wants to do. If he's really serious about his hobby, he'll make an effort to learn AviSynth. In my second post in this thread I said, "There's a serious learning curve", so it's not like I'm sugarcoating it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have caught up re-reading here. Other problem have kept me from this.

On the work machine I have where most of the video tools are, I have currently only one reference
    to AVI synth buried in MEGUI which I never got going.

From the beginning then, get AVI Synth in it's own directory and add in what is needed from the
    program to function.

BTW I am still using the help from past VH threads with my audio, DVD content splitting in DVD Shrink etc.
    This is just something very new and strange even though it's been around for ages. VH provides a tremendous service which I have only sampled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Then provide him with a different free solution for what he wants to do - cut an MP4, do some fades and add a scrolling line of text to a black screen at the end
    That's NOT what he wanted to do when the first, knee-jerk USE AVISYNTH!!!!!!! showed up.....yours by the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @()*#@JKL:SD) AVISynth

...oops, sorry. My knee just jerked and knocked the keyboard over.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm on YOUR side on this one.
    Me too. If you want to learn scripting, go for it!
    If you want to get a simple job done quickly use an NLE. It's what they were created for.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What would you suggest? Sony Vegas? Hardly. Virtual Dub? Maybe for some of what he wants to do.
    Why not Sony Vegas movie Studio? If he can do the job in less than 15 days (and all indications are he's quite capable of it) it's free and easy.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I have a captured stream which I converted from .ts to mp4 and smaller size.
    And lower quality. Amazing, how people think video encoding is like WinZip.

What is a current freeware tool to do so? Foto2Avi is one program I've seen a title for but know nothing of it.
    Did you read the description for Foto2Avi? https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Foto2Avi
    Transitions (Flippage,Swirl), Basic Effects (Brightness/Noise/Fade in/Fade out), Advanced Effects (Distort, Ripple), Animations, Subtitles, Logos
    It re-encodes the video, but I don't think you'll get a .ts or mp4 out of it.

Vegas Movie Studio is a decent app for it, as suggested, and I see it selling for like less than $30. Get something for smart-rendering like TMPGenc Smart Renderer and leave it as .ts with the same quality as the original. Or re-encode it to mp4 with Movie Studio if you want, but encoding from lossy .ts to lossy mp4 is, well, lossy. I assume you know what that means. Downside to whichever app you use: you'll have to get into the user guide.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    That's NOT what he wanted to do when the first, knee-jerk USE AVISYNTH!!!!!!! showed up.....yours by the way.
    Yes, he added some other things he wanted to do afterwards. So what? He didn't qualify his requirements other than by saying it had to be free. He didn't say it had to be easy. And I wasn't being a 'fanboy' even though I think anyone getting seriously into video filtering and restoring should take the time to learn it. In my second post, after mentioning it takes some learning, I also said:
    Or forget I ever mentioned it.
    I couldn't care less what he uses. He can take or leave the suggestion. I provided an answer that fit what he wanted to do. Once again, where's your solution? Mouth off all you want but at least come up with an answer that fits his requirements.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Mouth off all you want but at least come up with an answer that fits his requirements.
    Me personally I would just demux and fade out the audio. To me the abrupt audio cutoff is the annoying part.
    Load the video/clip into Audacity, fade out the ending, SAVE AS same specs of the original, remux it back together with AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  25. What's an NLE? Do I have to be sent to the wiki or urban slang dictionary?

I got an AVI Synth download but that's all. It's program directory doesn't show any .exe file. I also used the
    search box in case it put it in a subdirectory but no luck there either.

This is all becoming tedious.

I will look at the NLE prog.s
    Quote Quote  
  26. NLE = Non-linear editing.

A (the) freeware one (as req in post #1) is suggested in post #10. It can handle fading as well as a credit text (post#11). Several fancy examples of possible text credits are given in https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366724-Aviutl-Tips-Tricks-and-Support-thread/page11 (#321 for example).

And you should probably use your original .ts as source instead of a converted MP4 and only convert to MP4 when finished editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I sent you a PM message ... describing some ideas on how to do what your trying to do ...
    You could look at videos on Youtube on how to use ... AVI Synth ... kind of reminds me of the class I took last year ... Comp 6 .... visual basic ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXByaCFgIHc

This is what I use for video / audio ... fade in and out ... if I'm fading audio ... I separate the streams and use Cool Edit Pro 1.2 to fade the audio ... and then multiplex the streams back ...

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/TMPGEnc-Xpress
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is some useful info ... Adobe Audition 3 ... it is now free ... get it while you can ... directly from Adobe servers .... Adobe Audition ... replaced ... Cool Edit Pro .... I use both

Here is webpage where I found out ... you will need to register with Adobe and then you can look at what they are no longer giving a darn about ... Adobe Audition 3
    and Adobe Photo Shop CS2 ... included

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?17810-Audition-3-now-for-free-legally!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    What's an NLE? Do I have to be sent to the wiki or urban slang dictionary?

I got an AVI Synth download but that's all. It's program directory doesn't show any .exe file. I also used the
    search box in case it put it in a subdirectory but no luck there either.

This is all becoming tedious.

I will look at the NLE prog.s
    Didn't I post some instructions for opening a video and creating an AVISynth script with MeGUI for you? Probably a while ago.
    If you'd given that a spin you could be copying AVISynth script suggestions posted here and pasting them into MeGUI's script creator, then using the preview button to see the results.

If you use the File/Open menu and let MeGUI guide you through the steps it should end up opening the Script Creator where you'd apply cropping and resizing etc (if desired) just as you would with any other encoder GUI. No AVISynth knowledge required. From the you can modify a script manually before getting MeGUI to save it for encoding. Copying something like FadeIO0(45) and pasting it into the end of a script it as easy as errr....... copying and pasting.
    Quote Quote  
  30. @hello_hello

Good to hear from you again. Yes I have a hard time sorting out what was said and is being
    said as well. It's true I wanted to learn the MeGUI and other things but became distracted.

I will return to the thread when I make more progress.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!