VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed that the video files produced by GFE are in limited range, is it possible to make capture full?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know for sure your hardware is using full or limited ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what mediainfo says. I should clarify, gfe is geforce experience.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Amaze View Post
    I should clarify, gfe is geforce experience.
    Ahhh.

- Run the NVIDIA Control panel
    - Video -> Video Color Adjusments (or similar text)
    - Enable 'with NVIDIA settings"
    - Tab Advanced (or similar)
    - Dropdownlist Dynamic Range; select Full (0....255)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, correct Sharc, Mediainfo tells only "after the event" the specs from the "result" … the file.
    what i under stand of it, is that as soon if HDMI in consumer products is in the chain, it's the limited range 16-235/255
    working only with computer/pro video hardware it's full range 0-255, i'm still learning in this area, it's an important thing when making a setup, and doing post work.
    Even the semi pro people have to be very alert with this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by Amaze View Post
    Ahhh.

That didn't change anything. It looks like those settings are for overriding video playback, not recording.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Ahhh.

That didn't change anything. It looks like those settings are for overriding video playback, not recording.
    Could be, but that's also important, most of the time the "limited" setting is the correct one, unless you notice "banding"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Unless you really know what you're doing I recommend sticking with limited range YUV. All commercial and streaming video uses limited range. Your computer and software should be set up to convert limited range YUV to full range RGB for display or filtering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Unless you really know what you're doing I recommend sticking with limited range YUV. All commercial and streaming video uses limited range. Your computer and software should be set up to convert limited range YUV to full range RGB for display or filtering.
    Good subject here ! But by "commercial" you mean consumer ? when you say the conputer should be set to convert limited to full range, this is "only" for playback, i guess.
    Talking about a computer with a computer monitor with HDMI,DVI or DisplayPort, would mean it's a full range color setup for playback. (not a NUC (miniPC) connected to a flatscreen TV, which is a different story… i guess)
    The devil is in the details…..
    I guess there are only few capture cards or expensive ones that capture in full range color, it's the hardware that dictates the setting for full or limited range color..
    correct me if i'm wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You're eyes can't see YUV video. It has to be converted to RGB for you to see it. That is where the conversion from limited range to full range takes place. Limited range YUV is converted to full range RGB. By commercial video I mean Blu-ray disc, DVD disc, broadcast TV, broadcast satellite, Netflix and all the other streaming services, youtube, vimeo, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Unless you really know what you're doing I recommend sticking with limited range YUV. All commercial and streaming video uses limited range. Your computer and software should be set up to convert limited range YUV to full range RGB for display or filtering.
    I see. I assumed because I play in full range I should record that way too.

But if the final destination ie. Youtube, is limited range than I should do the initial recording in limited too?

I still don't know why GFE records in bt.601 though when from my searches hd content should use bt.709.
    So I think I will stick to OBS where I can set bt.709.
    Quote Quote