VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've just had a new Medion PC, Pro, with onboard TV tuner card. Looking at the device manager it's a 'Creatix SAA7131 Triple Capture Device'.
    The OS is Vista Home Premium 32bit. When I try to set up the card through the wizard in Cyberlink's TV enhance, which is in the Windows Media Center,it only detects the Analogue TV channels BBC 1 BBC2 ITV CHN 4 CHN 5 etc
    the two aeriels connections on the back are for one normal analogue and Sky does this card need to have a Digital box or something so that I can receive the Digital signals.
    I hope you can be of assistance.
    As I am disabled could you please answer me via myemail address at lmortiss@hotmail.com
    I will also try to keep an eye on the forum.

many thanks

Lloyd Mortiss
    lmortiss
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are getting off air television channels, you must have the TV aerial connected to the correct socket. I doubt the other socket is for Sky, more likely it is a video in so can be used to display and capture the input from a Sky receiver, Freeview box, camcorder, VCR, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having done a bit of Googling, it appeas that your card may be a DVB-T tuner, Freeview in other words. What is the analogue picture quality like? If good, you should be able to get at least some Freeview channels. However, it may well have separate front ends for the tuners so you might need to put the aerial into the other socket and try again. However, as you mention Sky, it might be that the other socket is to be connected to a dish and it is actually a DVB-S tuner.

A bit more info on the exact card and not just the chipset type might help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Richard
    here is the info I hope you require the card as only two connections on it one for a normal ariel and the other is a chrome screw in type thats why I thought it was for sky etc I get fairly goo d pictures on the analogue ariel connection but no freeview and when I install the channels it offers me a analogue or DVB T I tried the latter but the software states there is no card so here are the details hope you can help
    I went to one channel thro Phillips but it is all in german with no facilities to convert to english
    PCI Device Philips SAA7135HL Multimedia Capture Device
    Hardware ID PCI\VEN_1131&DEV_7133&SUBSYS_000D16BE&REV_D1
    Driver Provider Philips Semiconductors
    Driver Description Creatix SAA7131, Triple Capture Device
    Driver Date 08/01/2008
    Driver Version 1.3.4.5

Hope you can help on my previous tower I just connected a desktop DVB via a USB and the software picked everythin up so should I connect a similar type and hope that the Media centre picks this up.
    I await your valuable suggestions.

cheers
    Lloud
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The info you've given doesn't really help as it shows what chipset the card uses and not a lot about the card itself. However, one piece of information gives a clue. The screw in type aerial connection you have is what is known as an F type connector. As you say, always used for connection on Sky systems but increasingly being used on Digital terrestrial as it is vastly superior to the decades old Belling Lee normally found on a TV aerial downlead. You need to get an adapter to convert your existing Belling Lee plug to an F type like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27877&DOY=16m4

The other clue is that the software gives you a choice of analogue or DVB T. DVB is Digital Video Broadcasting, T is terrestrial (Freeview). If it was for Sky it would be DVB S, S standing for satellite.

So, get yourself an adapter, plug the aerial into the F type socket and select DVB T in the software. Assuming you are in an adequately served signal area and with the correct type of aerial, you should get a full set of Freeview channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be that this is the famous TwinDVB Card only seen into Medion PCs??!

It features 1 or 2 sat tuners and 1 for DVB-T or 1 for analogue TV.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello my friend
    so what do I have to do .Do I now conect to the screwin connection? I will have to alter the connection on my aeriel lead then re-install the programme with a fresh scan Format then is to unplug the analogue connection alter the connection from plug in to screw type then connect to other screw in on tv card and hope fro the best.
    let me know asap b/fore I start altering things
    your a star

cheers
    lloyd
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HiYa Richard
    sorry I missread your last article as I had not signed in so please ignore the last message and I'll keep in touch should I have any problems (hope not)
    again your are the tops and also please thanks "chef" for his input .

cheers
    lmortiss
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Again Richard
    I have sent for the adapter but I called into a TV shop and he made me one up I connected but alas no joy it scans but picks no channels at all up pops a window saying check your connections which are all ok so is the adapter I am waiting for somewhat different to the one the Aeriel/Tv guy made me up. I connect via the DVBT so waht could be the problem.
    cheers
    lmortiss
    lloyd
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As an owner of such card, I have noticed the folowing.
    In media center during set up (online libery and clik again on tv setting to run the set up again) you can choose either DVB-t or DVB-s or analoge hence altough the card is posible of receiving all you can choose only one setting, i have dvb-t working on normal connector. then i connected my sat disk on the f connector and did the set up agin for dvb-s and had all the ch on astra 2 working.
    Good luck
    Bruskii
    Quote Quote  
  11. i no this is an old thread but i also have a medion Pc , purchased recently from Tesco

it has a couple of secrets alot of people wouldnt no about

the Blueray standard fitted dvd drive is infact Blue ray AND HDVDV compliant drive , Medion did not supply HDDVD playing software only Blue ray , but if you find power dvd 7.3 or totalmedia or even windvd9 you will be able to play your HDDVD`s no problem , ok its an old format BUt the quality is every bit as good as BR and at £2 or £3 a film , a good way of getting your HD film collection started

another Medion PC secret is the TV card , it actually has onboard HDMI audio output , however this can only be utilised by connection to the motherboard HDMI onboard audio connector , connect the mobo HDMI to the vid card and you have video AND audio

and if you are real clever you can make your own fly leed that splits to the vid card and a coaxial spdif connection from the mobo and have both

sounds technical but to those that can and do , finding these options and hidden facts is always a nice bonus

again sorry for digging up and old thread , i was looking for something on google and found my way in here , which has been a while lol

oh and 1 more thing , it comes with a remote control for Media centre but its not any old remote , its an X10 which means the Pc can be more or less anywhere in the house and the remote works as its RF not Infra red

sorry again for dragging this old thread up , but i was so surprised by all of this , it turned out to be a good buy in the end lol
    Quote Quote