VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Anyone know what setting is better ? Thanks very much
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on the frame size and your playback devices. For example, DVD doesn't support 50p at all. Blu-ray supports 50p at 1280x720 but not at 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And if you accept that the 50 is 'frames', (I do) then there's no such thing as 50i. You mean to say 25i (25 interlaced frames per second). I can't stand where the meaning gets switched from frames to fields depending on who's using it. It makes for no end of confusion (maybe even in the mind of DuBsTaR) and I see it here all the time. It makes no difference if some camera setting calls it 50i; you don't get to just make up and change terms on the whim of some bozo in the advertising department.

Rant over. I know, it's a losing battle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the term 50i was invented by marketing droids who wanted there camera to sound better than all the 25i cameras. 50i is just the new name for 25i -- 25 interlaced frames per second, viewed as 50 fields per second.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    And if you accept that the 50 is 'frames', (I do) then there's no such thing as 50i. You mean to say 25i (25 interlaced frames per second). I can't stand where the meaning gets switched from frames to fields depending on who's using it. It makes for no end of confusion (maybe even in the mind of DuBsTaR) and I see it here all the time. It makes no difference if some camera setting calls it 50i; you don't get to just make up and change terms on the whim of some bozo in the advertising department.

Rant over. I know, it's a losing battle.
    I fully understand where you're coming from, but the problem with this approach (requiring it to reference FRAMES vs. fields) is that "25i" has more in common temporaly with 50p than it does with 25p. So for some, it actually makes sense to call it 50i.
    I know I have been one to vacillate between the 2.

The only way to fully clear this up would be to always designate BOTH rates in every mention: say 1920x1080 @ 50Fp50f, or something like that. It might could also clarify when one is using PsF.

Things are probably going to have to change a little given upcoming changes in Colorspaces & Dynamic Range, so why not fix a couple of problems all at once?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I fully understand where you're coming from, but the problem with this approach (requiring it to reference FRAMES vs. fields) is that "25i" has more in common temporaly with 50p than it does with 25p.
    Not necessarily. What about the 99% of movies on PAL DVD made up of progressive frames but encoded as interlaced? That's 50i too? Yeah, I know, you're referring to fields taken from two different points in time, not the same point in time. But, even so, 25i is way more descriptive of those DVDs than is 50i. If the number always refers to frames there's no confusion, although you may have to say whether the content is progressive or interlaced. You'd have to do it under this 'new' naming convention as well and in this context 50i makes no sense at all. And if 50 refers to fields, well, there's no such thing as an interlaced field.

The system worked before; it's broken now. Nothing had to be explained before; now it does.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The only way to fully clear this up would be to always designate BOTH rates in every mention:
    The situation was perfectly clear before people started using 50i. Then number is the frame rate, the letter p or i indicates whether it is progressive or interlaced. Unfortunately, the cat is out of the bag.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just curious: what about PsF?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Cheers guys
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!