VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is Block Noise?

I'm doing capture thru firewire (as avi) and I notice these rectangular blocks in the video especially when there's alot of motion. I assume this is "block noise" right?

I'm using TMPGenc to convert to mpeg. What's the best way to reduce block noise in TMPGenc? From reading other posts I see people recommending that VBR is best for reducing block noise (and checking "soften block noise" checkbox - what are the best settings for the "intra block and Non-intra block" boxes?)

Patrick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yep, thats block noise, when you see this, it is in the converted mpeg not the captured avi, right?
    you don't say what your final output mpeg has been converted for - dvd/vcd/svcd.
    if it's vcd then block noise is common in fast motion scenes, although there are filters that soften them
    either way you probably need to raise your bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's in the converted mpeg. The final output is going to DVD - first thru showbiz for editing then thru "TMPGenc DVD Author" for authoring.

Last night I tried a few special settings in TMPGenc Plus intended for elimination of block noise on a 90min tape. When I went to sleep it showed it had 10hrs to go. Woke up this morning and it showed it had 9.5hrs to go. In other words, as of this morning, TMPGenc was going to spend 17hrs encoding a 90min tape from avi to mpeg2 (My PC is only an Athalon 1.2Ghz but 17hrs is still rediculous ).

Patrick

Originally Posted by curryman
    yep, thats block noise, when you see this, it is in the converted mpeg not the captured avi, right?
    you don't say what your final output mpeg has been converted for - dvd/vcd/svcd.
    if it's vcd then block noise is common in fast motion scenes, although there are filters that soften them
    either way you probably need to raise your bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some poeple say they like to capture S-Video with DV. S-Video will give it a software look.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some poeple say they like to capture S-Video with DV. S-Video will give it a software look.
    Never knew that, will give it a go, got some film which seems to sharp after conversion i'll see if it improves it
    Quote Quote  
  6. "curryman" if S-Video is still to sharp you can try composite
    Quote Quote