VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to know if updating the drivers for your sound card is as important as drivers for your video card? I keep my video card drivers up-to-date but the sound card is a different story since I don't know if they exist or should be updated for that matter.

I have a factory provided sound card right now and I believe it is from Avance Logic Inc. But if you do update the sound card drivers, where do you go because the Avance Logic site isn't really easy to understand and I don't know which one I am supposed to download for my system.

This isn't really crucial but I wanted to know what you guys think about it.

HP wasn't very helpful either. LOL!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My rule with drivers is to never update until i have an issue. Had too many cases of a new driver making no improvements to anything, but causing problems elsewhere. Biggest example of this was my old capture card. Installing -any- newer driver than the bundled one caused it to stop working. even installing a newer version of DirectX stopped it working!

If it aint broke.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't fix it....thanks for the advice!
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am still running a very old Win98 release on my kids computer for that very reason.

Talk about an unexpected issue. I downloaded the DirectX SDK, and now occasionally, my TMPGEnc throws an ASSERT. I fear somehow I have register a debug version componant. But, that's OK. I'm not even going to attempt to fix that until I have a more severe problem.
    Just what is this reality thing anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I updated a lot of my drivers when I changed from 98 to XP, but I would not change the drivers just for the sake of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the sound is fine, then don't fix it.

Microsoft have been recommending a sound card driver update for sometime on my computer and I ignored it.

I am also getting the same recommendation for the modem, again I ignored it. Better for me to keep using Compaq's modem driver, not Microsoft's.

These updates from Microsoft isn't always the best and in some cases makes it worse. They aren't important or critical anyway.
    Quote Quote