VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been thinking for quite awhile of getting a Blu-ray Burner to back data up. I noticed this Blu-ray Burner on the Best Buy Canada website:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg-electronics-lg-8x-usb-2-0-external-blu-ray-disc...d53d521a17en02

I hope it is a quality Blu-ray burner. I was thinking of buying this type of media which I hope is of good quality and has lasting durability.

http://www.blankmedia.ca/shop/all-blank-blu-ray/bd-r-verbatim-25g-6x-white-inkjet-hub-...ntable-50-pcs/

Thanks in advance for any advice concerning this matter.

I have a LG 3D Blu-ray player that I bought a couple years ago. I like the idea of backing stuff up to Blu-ray in the event of my portable usb hard drives failing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    I have been thinking for quite awhile of getting a Blu-ray Burner to back data up. I noticed this Blu-ray Burner on the Best Buy Canada website:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg-electronics-lg-8x-usb-2-0-external-blu-ray-disc...d53d521a17en02

I hope it is a quality Blu-ray burner. I was thinking of buying this type of media which I hope is of good quality and has lasting durability.

http://www.blankmedia.ca/shop/all-blank-blu-ray/bd-r-verbatim-25g-6x-white-inkjet-hub-...ntable-50-pcs/

Thanks in advance for any advice concerning this matter.

I have a LG 3D Blu-ray player that I bought a couple years ago. I like the idea of backing stuff up to Blu-ray in the event of my portable usb hard drives failing.
    Slim external burners are not as robust as half-height internal drives. USB 2.0 is not as good an interface as USB 3.0 for external models. USB as the sole power source for a Blu-Ray burner also leaves much to be desired. If you can possibly use an internal Blu-Ray writer, it is a much better way to go.

Verbatim BD-R burns very reliably. Panasonic BD-R also burns well and may have better longevity, but it is expensive as it usually has to be imported from Japan.
    Quote Quote  
  3. usually_quiet: Thank you for this advice. I do have concerns about it being an external drive and powered by USB. However I do like portability aspect and I didn't want to have computer down time leaving the computer at the technician's workshop. I might take a chance on it to see how it goes. I hope I have picked the right blu-ray media. Thank you once again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    usually_quiet: Thank you for this advice. I do have concerns about it being an external drive and powered by USB. However I do like portability aspect and I didn't want to have computer down time leaving the computer at the technician's workshop. I might take a chance on it to see how it goes. I hope I have picked the right blu-ray media. Thank you once again.
    If the PC isn't yours, then I guess you have no choice but to allow an approved technician to do the work.

However, replacing an existing optical drive in a desktop PC is not usually a big deal. Normally the hardest part is removing and later replacing the front bezel on the PC. If this PC belongs to you, consider learning to do it yourself. It might save you some money in the long run.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How would an internal burner cause all this downtime? (Unless I misunderstood.) You don't need special services to replace an internal - it's as easy as clicking it in. Really.

At any rate, I agree with usually_quiet, and will add.

A portable burner is really a concept of convenience and marketing, not one of a great solution. Such burners are not as reliable with data (and sometimes slower and more expensive ceteris paribus). This would apply more with burning to blu-ray where much more sensitivity is required among the smaller grooves. I mean, I like the convenience of not having to gut my PC, and the fact that it's an LG scores it some points IMO, and would love it for a quick burn from, say, a laptop, but personally I can't trust a USB drive for this with important data.

An internal is much more stable. And if you do decide to go internal, I give my thumbs up to LG here. I've been using them for many years, with lots of abuse, from CD, DvD and now to BD, and LGs have dished it well and reliably for me.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. usually_quiet: Perhaps I could install a blu ray burner. I will look at some YouTube videos on the process. I think though I will go with this blu-ray burner to cut my teeth on the technology. I have no usb 3 slots on my computer which is an HP Pavillion P6000 series model p6709c. Thank you for your advice and I suspect that this USB 2.0 won't last long but it might be well worth taking a chance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. PuzZler: You and usually_quiet have given me something to really thing about. Maybe I could install the blu-ray burner. I will have to discuss it with my technician and track down a good internal hard drive. My current DVD burner is getting a bit noisy so it is probably best to replace it soon. Thank you both for your advice. I will just put a link of this thread to the computer technician and see what he can come up with for me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LG and Pioneer internal Blu-Ray burners are both good. Pioneer drives may be slightly better, but are about 1 cm longer than LG drives, or a typical DVD burner. An LG drive might fit better in some compact cases. I have a very tight HTPC case, and my plan was to use my current Pioneer BD writer, but it's too long. An LG drive would fit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Perhaps this is the right Blu-Ray burner to get. It is internal and it is more expensive but the advantage is it looks like all the software for playing Blu-ray discs and possibly designing Blu-ray discs other than just data discs make the price worth it. Here is a link:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7752200&CatId=11693

Here are the specs for my computer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02680680

Thanks in advance for any additional advice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took a look at the user manual, and based on the photos it appears that either an LG or Pioneer drive would fit OK. Both companies make good products.

Regarding the included Cyberlink software, it won't be the latest version and PowerDVD may need a bit of patching via Cyberlink's website. I had similar software with my retail package Pioneer drive and did find PowerDVD helpful. I received PowerDirector (editor) instead of PowerProducer (authoring software). PowerProducer should be more useful.
    Quote Quote  
  11. usually_quiet: Thanks for the additional advice. I will discuss all this with the Computer Technician soon.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think I will give up on getting a Blu ray burner because of several reasons. One being the blank discs I would buy being rarely in stock. Then there is the computer down time and this HTL vs LTL issue:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2310236

Maybe I should just stick with blank DVDs. I buy the Tayo Yuden ones. I did like the capacity of Blu ray but it just seems not worth the bother.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got one of these new on Amazon.co.uk from the MarketPlace for £20.00.
    Buffalo BRXL-PC6U2B-EU USB 2.0 BDXL
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008CNXXM4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It has handled everything I've thrown at it without problem.

Two negative features: the attached USB cable is VERY short (about 10cm); using an extension cable didn't work on my machine, though others have said they were able to use one. Also the CyberLink Blu-ray software that's packaged with it didn't work well.

Let me add that I know I got it for a very good price. I had spent a lot of time looking around before I found it.
    Last edited by jgg; 28th Feb 2016 at 04:40. Reason: Added info.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote