VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anonymous1
    Last edited by Anonymous1; 23rd Apr 2016 at 09:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by getaman View Post
    Heyo
    Of all the MOV to AVI converters I have found no one seem to be able to convert to original framerate. The closest I get is 29.97.
    Was something wrong with that result? Was the audio out of synch perhaps?

Please post the text screen from MediaInfo. Maybe it's variable framerate. A short sample might be helpful as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use handbrake and select keep original frame rate
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anonymous1
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by getaman View Post
    Maybe it is variable framerate, but how in the world would I be able to detect that?
    MediaInfo should tell you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. if your files are not too large you could upload a sample here so others can have a look at it,..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anonymous1
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't know if it's the same problem, but I had a bunch of MKVs with a similar problem. According to MediaInfo they were constant frame rate but depending on the program I used to open them it'd report odd frame rates such as 24.834fps instead of 25fps etc. After a bit of investigating (extracting the time codes from the MKV files and looking at them) it appeared there were frames with twice the normal duration (repeated frames, I guess), so ultimately I had to treat them as variable frame rate and convert them to 25fps even though theoretically they were already 25fps.

If you're after a fairly easy to use converter, try AnyVideoConverter. I've always found specifying a frame rate when converting with it converts the video to a constant frame rate pretty reliably. If you still don't have any luck, maybe try resaving the mov files as MKVs with MKVMergeGUI and converting the MKV files instead (don't specify a frame rate when using MKVMergeGUI though or it'll mess with the frame rate if it's really variable).
    Quote Quote  
  9. MediaInfo only checks a few time codes at the beginning of the file and depending if these are vfr or not it reports the stream as vfr or cfr.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Anonymous1
    Quote Quote  
  11. So MediaInfo is not to trust entirely then?
    MediaInfo only reports the headers (+ the first few timecodes), so if the headers are off, so is MediaInfo.

Is there no more trustworthy software to use to check the framerate?
    At least I know of no software which, analyses the whole file and then reports if:
    a. content is vfr or cfr
    b. the content really is interlaced and in what way (no surprise there, especially with mixed content this is not trivial)
    ----
    small question: did you edit this clip somehow?
    (attached the file remuxed to mkv with fps = 30)
    Last edited by Selur; 11th Jul 2013 at 04:21.
    Quote Quote  
  12. As best as I can tell the two samples you uploaded are constant frame rate (it doesn't necessarily mean an entire video would be). I converted them with 2 different programs without a problem (Video To Video Converter and MeGUI). Well I just converted the second one as the first one was quite dark, but it converted without a problem and the output frame rate was the same.

Those are samples of the original video, yes? If so, there's probably no need to actually convert the video. It's mpeg4. I opened the second sample with Video To Video Converter, selected AVI for the output, copy for the video codec, MP3 for the audio codec using the same sampling rate as the original (optional, but the original audio isn't compressed) and the resulting AVI is attached.

If some of the original video is actually variable bitrate I don't think resaving it as an AVI using the above method should be an issue. If you select copy for the video and leave the frame rate on "auto" then the frame rate should remain unaltered.

If some of the original video is variable framerate and you do want to convert the video to shrink it (or for some other reason) I'm not sure why it should be a problem. Some programs have a drop down box which lets you pick one of the standard frame rates but generally if you want something different you can simply type the desired frame rate instead.. Or just leave it on auto.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by hello_hello; 11th Jul 2013 at 08:44.
    Quote Quote  
  13. strange thing is that the camera should record at 30fps, so may be a firmware update helps,..
    Quote Quote