VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I recently came across a set of DVDs in good condition. These are telecined and I can count 3 frames of progressive and 2 frames of interlaced content. However, there are instances where I noticed an interruption of this pattern especially during transitions:

1. Progressive
    2. Progressive
    3. Interlace
    4. Interlace
    5. Progressive
    6. Progressive
    7. Progressive
    8. Interlace
    [Transition]
    9. Interlace
    10. Interlace
    11. Progressive

Due to the nature of the content, some frames are held in 2's or 3's, which entirely throws off whatever detelecine filter I have put on, and I end up with progressive frames becoming interlaced. I am entirely new to handling this sort of media and would like some help in the right direction. I have tried the following:

1. Handbrake - detelecine only (interlaced content still left over)
    2. Handbrake - detelecine and deinterlace (combines some frames)
    3. VirtualDub2 - detelecine reduce frames and manual offset (detelecine goes out of sync with content)
    4. Hybrid VIVTC - detelecine creates artifacts in progressive frames
    5. Hybrid QTGMC - does not detelecine correctly to 24 fps, and creates frankenstein frames that look good but shouldn't exist.

I've done some research and was pointed towards Anime IVTC and have gotten as far as downloading avisynth+ and the plugins. Unfortunately it seems like this is an old project and a lot of the plugins from its documentation are no longer accessible and cannot be downloaded, and I have no idea how to execute it as a script. I guess I'm kind of lost and would love to get some help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oof I just realied I posted this in the wrong sub-forum.
    I meant to post it in the Newbie help section as I'm not too seasoned and I've never used Avisynth before.

I would love some advice on the correct approach to this as I have 14 disks from this series that I want to process. Here's a link to the first file I'm working on and I wonder if anyone has any idea what's going on why inverse telecine is failing on me:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/15hvhbjeOxgSOfBrTf3qM0lG8n5sFZJab
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mykie274143 View Post
    Hi all, I recently came across a set of DVDs in good condition. These are telecined and I can count 3 frames of progressive and 2 frames of interlaced content. However, there are instances where I noticed an interruption of this pattern especially during transitions:

1. Progressive
    2. Progressive
    3. Interlace
    4. Interlace
    5. Progressive
    6. Progressive
    7. Progressive
    8. Interlace
    [Transition]
    9. Interlace
    10. Interlace
    11. Progressive

Due to the nature of the content, some frames are held in 2's or 3's, which entirely throws off whatever detelecine filter I have put on, and I end up with progressive frames becoming interlaced. I am entirely new to handling this sort of media and would like some help in the right direction. I have tried the following:

3. VirtualDub2 - detelecine reduce frames and manual offset (detelecine goes out of sync with content)
    5. Hybrid QTGMC - does not detelecine correctly to 24 fps, and creates frankenstein frames that look good but shouldn't exist.

I've done some research and was pointed towards Anime IVTC and have gotten as far as downloading avisynth+ and the plugins. Unfortunately it seems like this is an old project and a lot of the plugins from its documentation are no longer accessible and cannot be downloaded, and I have no idea how to execute it as a script. I guess I'm kind of lost and would love to get some help
    try with ffmpeg - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/404452-How-to-use-ffmpeg-to-de-telecine-%28de-inte...PAL-to-PAL-25p page 2 post #41
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by mykie274143 View Post

1. Progressive
    2. Progressive
    3. Interlace
    4. Interlace
    5. Progressive
    6. Progressive
    7. Progressive
    8. Interlace
    [Transition]
    9. Interlace
    10. Interlace
    11. Progressive

try with ffmpeg - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/404452-How-to-use-ffmpeg-to-de-telecine-%28de-inte...PAL-to-PAL-25p page 2 post #41
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try to do the ffmpeg route. I noticed there were orphaned fields in my source, which is annoying. I'm wondering if this is due to a bad master, I would prefer to clean them up rather than reconstruct them, considering these frames are cut out in the Region 4 release. I'm realizing the Region 4 release is actually a lot cleaner with the frames being nearly 100% progressive and only the intro and ending sequences containing interlacing, possibly due to how they were worked into the sequence during mastering.
    Quote Quote  
  5. can't access the file, but instead of Hybrid VIVTC i would try Hybrid TIVTC mode 7 or QTGMC+sRestore (or at least tweak the VIVTC settings)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    can't access the file, but instead of Hybrid VIVTC i would try Hybrid TIVTC mode 7 or QTGMC+sRestore (or at least tweak the VIVTC settings)
    I updated the sharing status of the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Clgn6tq0AMSCGUikXFzZgmIdxbeWEwmh/view?usp=sharing
    I'll go ahead and try the settings you mentioned as I'd prefer working from this file if possible Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. got the file: Overwriting the input scan type to 'telecine' and using TIVTC seems to work fine here.
    (seems to container telecined and soft telecined content, so treating it as telecined seems to be a good way to deal with it)
    Last edited by Selur; 8th Nov 2023 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    got the file: Overwriting the input scan type to 'telecine' and using TIVTC seems to work fine here.
    (seems to container telecined and soft telecined content, so treating it as telecined seems to be a good way to deal with it)
    I performed this before and I still get problems. I use the credits as a point of reference, the bright white outline of the names are interlaced, despite the content in the background (constant panning) being perfectly fine. When you preview TIVTC around frame 4367, you'll see the rain drops and the title credits being combed.

[Attachment 74764 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 74765 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Credit fade overlays are added after the main content was produced .

You can add vinverse to treat residual combing without damaging picture too much. You can combine it with TFM pp modes or deactivate pp

You can filter the credits differently if you want, divide up into sections to prevent slightly blurring by vinverse on the main sections, it depends on how picky you are
    Quote Quote  
  10. You're opening a huge can of worms.

In the shot you referenced the background is telecined film (2:3 pulldown) but the titles are overlaid as fully interlaced video -- the fade with each field. You can keep the smooth fades by using a good double frame rate deinterlacer (QTGMC) but the background will have 3:2 repeats. Or you can IVTC to 23.976 fps and have the titles fade less smoothly.

I also saw a few crossfade shots where two moving 3:2 pulldown patterns were blended without the pulldown patterns matching. Again, to keep that smooth you'll need to encode at 60fps.

Beyond that there are tons of issues like this with anime. And tons more when it comes to PAL/NTSC conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You could also remove those with some antialiasing,.. santiag with default values: https://imgsli.com/MjE5Mjgy
    But I agree with pdr: vinverse is probably better suited: https://imgsli.com/MjE5Mjgz

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote