VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to install Media Player Classic on my other PC and it told me that I needed to update DirectX so I updated DirectX to the June 2010 release and installed MPC-HC. When I tried to open the player, it blue screened my pc saying a fatal error had occurred and Windows shut down to protect my computer.

I reset my computer to a time before I did the DirectX update and tried again. This time I updated DirectX from the Microsoft website and reinstalled MPC-HC v1.5.2 and ticked the box to open the player once installed. Again, it blue screened my pc and I had to restart.

Computer Specs...

Intel DG965WH motherboard
    Intel E6500 CPU
    2GB G-Skill DDR2 800 memory
    ATI 2600HD graphics card
    Windows XP

It only blue screens when trying to open MPC-HC.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 14th Feb 2011 at 14:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Installed an older version of MPC-HC and everything is fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the update. If you don't mind, would you post back what version you downgraded to? A surprising number of people find posts like yours via web searches and the version that worked for you would be good to have in the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem and error. The new production version v1.5.0.2827 blue screens on one of my systems.

The old production version that does NOT blue-screens for me is v1.3.1249.0, I did not try any of the versions after v1.3.1249.0 up to 1.5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your hardware/system(s) doesn't like something about the newer EVR video mode selections, which MPC-HC now seems to try to default to. Did you run the DirectX Web Installer to make sure all of the DirectX9 components were up-to-date?

If you've got MPC-HC set to save its settings to an .ini file (does HC still do that?), I wonder if deleting the INI would reset the newer versions of MPC-HC to a (non-EVR) default video mode.

Actually, though, you might try setting the video mode to whatever you prefer in the version of MPC-HC that works for you, and then manually updating it to the latest version by downloading either the portable version or the latest beta, and copying the relevant files over your existing MPC-HC installation.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The version that blue screened on me was v1.5.0.2827. Could've sworn I downloaded from here but I don't see it now. The version that worked for me was 1.4.2499.

The version that I am using on this machine is 1.4.2499 also. I could try and upgrade this one to see if it has the same issues but I think I'll pass. Seems like most of the stuff I've updated the past year has had problems.

On the other PC that had the problem, it was a clean install of XP that I hadn't gotten around to install MPC-HC on yet. It had just the basic programs and drivers that I needed to get it up and running after installing an E6500 CPU on the Intel board.

I updated DirectX from the MS site with the web installer. The older version of MPC-HC has the EVR settings in it also so I don't see why that would be a problem. I've tried it on this PC, even though it is not supposed to be supported by XP.

The video card that is in the other PC was in this one until I upgraded the other one and I bought an EVGA 460GS for this one.

There is probably a bug in the newer versions (1.5.0 and 1.5.1) but I won't know until I try and update this one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the main problem is that the installers seem to be trying to switch the user to the EVR modes, by default. I didn't have any such mode set, myself, but the last time I tried the installer, it set it to one of those modes, anyway - and I received the message about needing to update DirectX.

I don't have any problems with the latest versions - but I'm not using XP, as you are, and I can't remember if I even have one of those modes set. So, I can't rule out any bugs, either.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed version 1.5.0.2827 on this PC with no problems. I saved my settings when I uninstalled version 1.4.2499 so that might be why. I'll uninstall 1.4.2499 on the other PC, saving the settings and see if installing the new version still causes a blue screen or if you were correct and the default settings are causing the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the newer installers' attempted defaults, anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still can't get the newer versions to run on the other PC. I upgraded the video card drivers but that didn't help. I also cleaned the registry after uninstalling which had a lot of MPC stuff but no help. I guess it's just incompatible with my setup on that machine. Media Player Classic Home Cinema 1.4.2499 runs fine though.

Here is the blue screen message that I get...

:c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    Windows Subsystem Process terminated unexpectedly with a staus of
    0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x0052ed04).
    The system has been shut down
    Quote Quote