VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am a real novice here but value your input; sorry for the long post

I record on a Sony HD handycam in AVCHD either 16M (FH) 1920x1080 or 9M(HQ); it also has Sd record.
    I have just gone over to a Macbook pro & am missing the ease of the sony dvd producing software.

I want to produce dvds to play on my standard dvd player (& have just started looking at Hdmi streamers to view on my tv, but may not pursue this).
    I am wondering what format, specs etc I should convert the clips into (as I can't utilise hd on a dvd player) while maximising clarity.
    I have produced 1 dvd using imovies9 (as I want a dvd menu giving chapters with descriptions, so I can go to certain clips). However I don't want to do any editing / effects, I just edit on camera.
    I used idvd to burn; the disc is watchable but rather fuzzy.
    I am happy to buy a conversion app (I have considered iskysofti Media Converter Deluxe for Mac? - reviews look good)do I need a different burn app?
    So what format should I convert avchd into to maximise quality (with smaller if poss file size) someone suggested divx?; what size eg ? a x b?

Any other help please; thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might take a look at the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD.
    This has information for the DVD specification, format and structure of DVDs.

Generally with a DVD about 1 -2 hours of video will give you good quality.

Since you are now a Mac user, probably better posted in our Mac Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you redwudz; I will read the what is section; please can you link me to the mac forum

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/17-Mac

You also might find some useful info from the 'Stickies' at the top of that forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks
    Quote Quote