VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have footage from a dashcam that I need (Ill let you guess why)
    Out of the 6 files on it, only the first plays. All the others do not play, I have tried VLC, I have tried AVI repair tools but most say something along the lines of "not a movie file" error. I am confused as I have 1 video, taken on the same day from the same camera that plays and others that do not
    The files are approx 4.2GB so the "information" is there. From what i've read it could be a issue with the header? Im not an expect on video so I dont really know what that means.

I need a way to get this video to play. Any help would be greatly suggested. Or if anyone can do it for me and repost a download link id be VERY greatful. You can find it
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1dl1ae_dTabdzhjSHVndEtWcnM Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 19.42.28.png
Views:	680
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	38235Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 19.43.05.png
Views:	532
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	38236Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 19.41.56.png
Views:	601
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	38237I am on a Mac so any software suggested I would need ones with mac versions.

My hardrive specs are:
    Model Name: MacBook Air
    Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B20
    SMC Version (system): 2.13f15
    Serial Number (system): C02KQ4MRF5V8
    Hardware UUID: 0E8332D8-92B2-5D2A-A0D7-813AC14D7508
    Last edited by SupersonicJak; 19th Aug 2016 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you really think people are going to download a 4.2GB file? you might at least have put up the original and not a "copy". who knows what a mac did to it. you might try cutting an under 100mb sample from the original and attaching it here to your post.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    you really think people are going to download a 4.2GB file? you might at least have put up the original and not a "copy". who knows what a mac did to it. you might try cutting an under 100mb sample from the original and attaching it here to your post.
    Thanks for the reply,

I only copied it so I do not mess up the original. It is a direct copy of the original file.

How do I cut it to under 100mb if no video software can open it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can use a hex editor to examine the file or save a portion of the file. But don't bother. I've only received part of the file so far but it does not have the usual AVI header at the start. The first several megabytes don't have anything but 0xff. If the rest of the video is like that there's no way of recovering it. That's the equivalent to a book having nothing but the letter Z, net even any spaces, from beginning to end. There's no way of reconstructing the original text. I'll let you know if the rest of the file contains anything useful once it's finished downloading.

The rest of the file is the same -- nothing but 0xff.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Aug 2016 at 19:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've just downloaded the video file for my curiosity.

It's not a valid video file. It's filled with FF FF FF.

If you compress the video, the size will be under a few megabytes..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't really know what that means... But im guessing it means its ****ed? �� Thanks anyway guys
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It means that possibly the file has been secure deleted and overwritten with binary "1"s.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No idea how that could have happened. During the first attempt of transfer from my dashcam to my mac the camera crashed. I assume that may have done this or affected it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Flash memory based recording devices are very prone to problems like this when they lose power while recording. Did you have to use a file recovery (undelete) or unformat program before copying the files?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I just plugged it in and copy and pasted it across like any storage device. As previously mentioned though, the camera crashed on the first attempt.
    Quote Quote