VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys,

This question may have been asked a milion times before but unfortunately i couldn't find a good solution to my issue.
    I want at first to get my raw data out from the DVD, exactly the same quality without any compression.
    For that i'm using "Normal Recompress".
    At this point already i see big differences in quality- the VOB file has better picture, real smooth transition between frames..

Probably i'm doing it the wrong way, so how can i get the same quality in an AVI file?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You won't get the same quality out of an "AVI" file.
    These days you probably don't NEED an "AVI" file.
    An MKV file gives you identical quality(no recompression at all) as the original DVD....just in a more playable container.
    If smaller file size is not your main objective.....look into MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Tried making a lossless MKV, don't understand how the file size got up to X20 of it's original size?
    Smaller file size is not my main objective but i would expect the same file size.. am i wrong?
    In addidtion, after converting to MKV i still see big quality differences between the original and the new one...
    Thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Menyman View Post
    Tried making a lossless MKV, don't understand how the file size got up to X20 of it's original size?
    Your DVD contains MPEG 2 compressed video. When you save that to an MKV file with a lossless codec you are first decompressing the MPEG 2 video (growing maybe 50 fold in size) then compressing those uncompressed frames with the lossless codec. Lossless codecs usually on give a factor of 2 to 3 compression. So the losslessly compressed video will still be much larger than the DVD source.

hech54 is inaccurate when he says AVI can't achieve the same quality as MKV. Both can contain lossless codecs. AVI can even contain MPEG 2 video, like MKV. But there are few programs/players that can deal with MPEG 2 video in an AVI container. So if your goal is to copy (not further compress) the video and audio from the DVD to a file that can be played across a wide variety of platforms use MKV...

Originally Posted by Menyman View Post
    Smaller file size is not my main objective but i would expect the same file size.. am i wrong?
    As was pointed out, use MakeMKV. It simple re-multiplexes the original MPEG 2 video and AC3 audio from the DVD to an MKV container.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Works great
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote