VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't done any video editing in years and I'd always follow the same workflow > SD VOB files > MPEG Streamclip > MOV for import.

Recently, I've been feeling the urge to start cutting again and I'd like to use HD content for better picture quality. But the most popular HD format is MKV. You can't import MKV into Avid or FCP directly, and MPEG Streamclip doesn't accept MKV either. So is there a good freeware I can use for MKV to MOV conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mkv with h264 video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep with H264
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg or AviDemux. Use stream copy if you can.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Weird.. Recently, I'd just been trying to get MPEG Streamclip on my PC to accept MKV. I prefer Avid Media Composer (it's what I was trained on at school). However, just for the hell of it, I imported an MKV into MS on my IMAC. At first it gave the same error message about MKV being unsupported. However, this time when I said to open anyways, it eventually came up. Whereas on a PC, it says that it can't pick up any video or audio tracks. So a Mac based MS will eventually read MKV.

Exported out of MS with 1280x720 @ 24fps with the 422 Pro Res codec. Then set a sequence in FCP with the same settings and it imported no problem. I'll probably stick with FCP for now because there will be less steps involved.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!