VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am hopeful someone's already succeeded with software-based noise removal. I have an early 80s VHS that I transferred to DVD. The tape tracks fine and so the recording onto DVD is about as good as you can get, it's just the original VHS recording is old and noisy. I wanted to try to improve it. So, I did JES Deinterlacer which output the original 3G file as a 22 G Quicktime movie. Then I tried JES Video cleaner but it got a way in and died saying the file's too big for my system.

So, the question is whether anyone has successfully done a software picture quality improvement like this and would you share which software and very specifically what settings including the compression and file type of the output. I'd like to just try something that's already working for someone.
    thanks
    -kathy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They have, and there are some very very good options - on the PC. Avisynth would is, by far, the best restoration video tool available, and is used extensively to clean up VHS transfers, amongst many other tricks. But it is only available under Windows. The Mac currently has nothing to really compete with it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks....I can run Windows on Mac, although I have done it yet, so I may well have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip.
    -kathy
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I second gunslinger's recommendation: Avisynth is amazing (and free). It can be a little intimidating at first, but don't let that prevent you from trying it out. There are many pre-canned functions that you can use or modify, so you don't have to be a scripting wiz to use the tool. And if you are a scripting wiz, then it'll be that much sweeter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MovieConverter has two levels of video noise reduction, light and strong (specifically for VHS). It's a fantastic program, all the way around. I use it more than any other video prog. Particularly for recoding XviD and DviX movies for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried MovieConverter but it got the video and audio out of sink.

I now have Windows up and running, so soon I'll be trying AVIsynth.
    -kathy
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KMJvet
    I tried MovieConverter but it got the video and audio out of sink.
    If the sync problem is consistent throughout the length of the video, QT Sync will fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the sync problem is consistent throughout the length of the video, QT Sync will fix it.
    Do you think the 3 minute sample MovieConverter does for the trial version is enough to judge consistent? I don't know enough about what causes AV sync problem and the possibilities for types of problems to have any sense of that.
    -kathy
    Quote Quote  
  9. what is your input file? mpeg (mpegts, vob, vro, eyetv, etc)?
    (there can be some synch problems with this sort of files because audio and video can begin not at the same time).

(tanks to give more news )
    bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had many old VHS tapes, with snow, and others problems. I used my JVC DRM10S and VHS recorder to transfer the tapes. Not all were good transfers, but many of them were improved to the point of acceptability. The filters in this machine are very good. It has saved me many a movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MovieConverter is not a restoration tool.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Herve
    what is your input file? mpeg (mpegts, vob, vro, eyetv, etc)?
    (there can be some synch problems with this sort of files because audio and video can begin not at the same time).

(tanks to give more news )
    bye
    It's an mpeg file with mpeg2 encoding. I took the DVD and because my stand alone player creates time code breaks and used mpeg streamclip to repair those and get the mpeg file. I believe what I chose was "covert to mpeg" from the mpeg streamclip menu.
    -kathy
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    It does have the reduce noise feature as was mentioned. What do you consider a restoration tool? I have dowloaded the AVIsynth that was suggested for Windows and I'm going to try it, but it will for sure be a bit of a battle, both because as mentioned the program is tricky in it's own right, but I have to learn use Windows which doesn't come naturally and I have to learn Parallels which is brand new for me so just stuff like having it recognize the USB drives is something to figure out. I plan to keep at it as time allow, but a solely Mac-based solution would be cool.

I did do, a pretty good job I think getting the tape transfered to DVD well and tape is now past tense. The only things I can do now involve the DVD I have and not the tape itself.
    -kathy
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by KMJvet
    [...]I took the DVD[...]
    thanks for your reply (I will continue this discussion off-topic, in Private Message)
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I know (I didn't quote it myself in this thread). But like some soft (MovieGate, ffmpegX, …) it uses some denoiser from the mjpegtools. The old version was cool but the new one give very nice results (doesn't damage anymore the chroma channel and preserve intelacing), but it's very slooooow

PS: JES Video cleaner is great, just split your QuickTime file (22Go) in chunks<2Go, if the file is too big for it (you can do it with QTPlayer)

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @KMJvet
    A checkbox for "light" and "strong" noise removal -- of which you have no idea what is going on -- is not restoration. VirtualDub filters, AVISynth filters -- even TMPGEnc filters -- are what count as restoration filtering.

There is no such thing as a "do it" button for restoring video. You must understand the errors, and how to attack them. Software is too stupid to automatically perform this task.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Happen to run across this site while looking for someone to fix my 23 year old VHS Wedding Video. It is in poor shape. Has lot of fuzzy in it. Does anyone know of someone that does this kind of work. Has my husband and my deseased parents on it. Someone Please Help. Thank you for your time.
    Lendy P
    Quote Quote