VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone!

My name is Luka and I am so glad I found this forum. I'm a newbie to video/subtitle editing and very happy and thankfull for your support!!

Here is my problem:
    As part of my student job I got the task to "fix" some video files that are supposed to have subtitles in different languages.
    The problem here is that the subtitle files (written by another person who has worked on this earlier) aren't 100% in sync with the video - most of them appear for a too short amount of time, so that the speaker is still talking while there is already a gap in the subtitles.

What my boss told me is that I will have to go through all the subtitles and adjust each sequence of subtitles *manually* in order to make them appear a little longer,
    For 12 videos of 1,5 h length each in 2-3 languages -- this might take a while... and I have strong doubts that the manual way is the only way to fix this!

Does someone here know how to make subtitle editor "bridge gaps between subtitles" automatically?

I have found this option under tools in subtitle editor, but it didn't change anything. Any ideas - why?

Many thanks!!!
    Luka
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I don't know, if this helps you, but in Subtitle edit, you can in options - settings set minimal duration how long last subtitle entry. bridge gap duration here makes smaller gaps between subtitles. It shows which subtitles are affected. Default is it applied only to subtitles with gap lower then 0,1 sec. If you need small gap for say 10 sec gap you have to set 10000 milliseconds in top left where 100 is.
    Edit: But of course for quality subtitles, the best is manual correction, where is audio wave display very helpful.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 21st Dec 2017 at 14:01. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not sure what it is you want.

But in Subtitle Edit you could use Files -> Export -> Export custom text format and define a template (Time Codes) to export the time codes. Then open it in a spreadsheet and manipulate them anyway you want and export as text again,. Then in Subtitle Edit use File- > Import time codes

[Attachment 44090 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Another thing. When you selected all subtitles lines (in Subtitle edit) Right click mouse button here. Then choose Adjust duration for selected lines. Then choose recalculate. And here you can set how max characters per second. I think this can be very useful. Longer text longer duration. And you can of course tune it.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. million thanks!
    the recalculation did its job. so easy but so helpful
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very glad it helped!!!
    But have you checked the videos? At least "randomwise or spot check" ? Don't know right expression.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah I'm checking and manually correcting them now. But the recalculation saves a lot of time!
    Quote Quote