VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am usually using Video Download Helper to get videos from YouTube but it is not getting anything now other than ADP videos. I tried youtube-dl and it says "video unavailable". I assume the folks that make YouTube-dl are working at figuring out how to solve the YouTube video download issue. I am going to have some faith they will figure it out fairly soon and I suppose life will go on without being able to download videos from YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't had any problem downloading from youtube with youtube-dl lately. Do you have a link? Have you updated youtube-dl?

Oops! I just tried a few random videos and am seeing the same error. It must have changed in the last day or two.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2019 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a new update today to youtube-dl and it can download YouTube videos. It says it is a temp fix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried updating just before my earlier post but there was nothing new. But after seeing your latest post I tried again. The update succeeded and I was able to download from youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Asking youtube-dl for it's version number and not getting it - or am I misunderstanding what that option does.

C:\Windows\system32>youtube-dl -version
    [debug] System config: []
    [debug] User config: []
    [debug] Custom config: []
    [debug] Command-line args: ['-version']
    Usage: youtube-dl [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

youtube-dl: error: invalid rate limit specified

C:\Windows\system32>
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    "video unavailable".
    It must've been to do with something at YouTube's end.
    I noticed problems downloading & streaming around 18:00 BST and for the rest of the evening.

For me, Internet Download Manager picked up no downloads even though videos played fine (in Firefox & Google Chrome).
    YouTube-dl caught nothing when inputting a video URL.
    Same for Internet Download Accelerator (which also uses YouTube-dl).
    No videos streamed when inputting video URL into either VLC or PotPlayer.

Whether this was a world-wide problem I don't know.

What I do know is that this morning when I tried, everything was working again as normal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    Asking youtube-dl for it's version number and not getting it - or am I misunderstanding what that option does.

C:\Windows\system32>youtube-dl -version
    [debug] System config: []
    [debug] User config: []
    [debug] Custom config: []
    [debug] Command-line args: ['-version']
    Usage: youtube-dl [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

youtube-dl: error: invalid rate limit specified

C:\Windows\system32>
    The parameter requires 2 dashes. Try "youtube-dl --version"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Gramps:
    Bless you for taking pity on me.

Update:
    Also the reason why I couldn't get any free proxies to work with youtube-dl until now (hangs head in shame).
    Last edited by sambat; 12th Sep 2019 at 15:29. Reason: Further expose myself to ridicule.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am pleasantly surprised this morning to see that Video Download Helper is showing more video download options. I use it the most for downloading. But I value youtube-dl also because it can get the job done and thanks to jagabo I learned how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I switched from Video Download Helper almost 2 years ago to youtube-dl.

youtube-dl gets the job done.
    Quote Quote