VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I own a memorex 20x external dual layer dvd burner.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Memorex-External-20x-Multi-Format-Double-Layer-DVD-Reco...oductDetail.do
    ^^^ this one to be exact.

I used to use the burner on my laptop via USB cable. The burner worked fine for about 3 months. Later in time many, mainly all of my disks would not play in all the dvd players (which before all did play in ). They work fine in my x360, ps3 and any new model type of dvd player....

so....

3 months ago i took it and hooked it up to my desktop computer via USB, and all my disks played in all dvd players...so about a week ago, ive started to get this same problem that i had when i had it hooked up to my laptop. my disk are not playing in all the dvd players again...

What could make this do this????

Ive been using the same disk (verbatium or sony) for years now??

Is my burner going out??

any help would be great. thanks.[/url]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do you have the latest firmware for the drive? go to the memorex website and see if they have the latest firmware for the drive. you may have a rebadged liteon or lg drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure this is your drive? 20x drives have not been shipping for that long.

And certainly you have not been using the same media in this drive for years.

When you buy a new drive, any experience you have had with specific brands of media is likely to be irrelevant.

A 20x drive is likely to be burning single layer Verbatim media at 20x and SONY at 16x. So whether you have better results with one or the other is important. It would also help if you identified the speed at which you are burning, the mediaID of the media you are using, and your burning program.

If you are running other programs while burning at 16x or 20x with a USB burner it could be the source of your troubles. These could include various background tasks, including automatic anti-virus scans.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    When you buy a new drive, any experience you have had with specific brands of media is likely to be irrelevant.
    That's a bunch of BS! :P We all know using different dvd media with different drives does make a difference. Some drives like only TAIYO YUDEN media like the old PLEXTOR dvd burners when they use to manufacture their own drives. Most manufacturers of dvd burners have recommended dvd media for a purpose. They also have lists of dvd media that they don't recommend as well. So yes it does make a difference when using specific brands of media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ive upgraded the firmware, and im still having the same problems??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start with the basics. Are the discs playable in the burner itself (start to finish) and/or another PC drive?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    That's a bunch of BS! :P We all know using different dvd media with different drives does make a difference. Some drives like only TAIYO YUDEN media like the old PLEXTOR dvd burners when they use to manufacture their own drives. Most manufacturers of dvd burners have recommended dvd media for a purpose. They also have lists of dvd media that they don't recommend as well. So yes it does make a difference when using specific brands of media.
    And indeed the lists for the new drive may only overlap the old drive with a few specific media. Some folks with new drives even have problems with TY which probably works in the largest number of drives.
    Buy a new drive you cannot count on any specific brand of media to work just be cause it was great in your old drive.
    Quote Quote