VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Posting here on the off-chance that someone is further up the learning curve than I ...

Just received my EyeTV 500. Hooked it up to the cable wire via the "antenna out" connection to see what QAM channels I could get -- unfortunately only four -- CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox. Still, better than nothing I suppose.

Did a test recording of six minutes in duration and exported the recording from EyeTV in "Toast" format. The file is about 513MB in size. Toast 6.07 opens up (per the EyeTV option) and immediately quits unexpectedly. Opening up Toast manually and dragging the exported file onto its window give the same results.

What's up with this? I had expected to dump my recordings to SVCD or DVD to watch them on the living room TV...

Running EyeTV 1.7 software (firmware update on EyeTV 500 box performed on first run) on a dual 1.25GHz G4/2GB RAM/OS X 10.3.6.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Toast quit unexpectedly if you drag other files to it?

Delete the Toast .plist and prefs files and relaunch Toast. Then try again with the EyeTV export (with Toast already open).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Toast 6.0.7 doesn't currently support HD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by chikanakan
    Toast 6.0.7 doesn't currently support HD.
    That actually makes sense given the predictable and reproduceable error when attempting to dump HDTV programming to disk.

You can understand my confusion, however, when the Elgato web page for EyeTV 500 says "Create DVDs, Video CDs or Super Video CDs of your recorded television shows to play on standard DVD players. (Toast 6 Titanium required)." Additionally, the instruction manual describes how to export the files to Toast for burning to SVCD or DVD.

So, is Toast compatible with HDTV programming and I'm doing something wrong or did Elgato make promises that are clearly completely and absolutely false?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Frobozz
    Does Toast quit unexpectedly if you drag other files to it?
    Nope, never had a problem with Toast before running into this one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ladd
    So, is Toast compatible with HDTV programming and I'm doing something wrong or did Elgato make promises that are clearly completely and absolutely false?
    I think you should take this up with ElGato. They are very good about their customer service. Their statement is true if you export in standard definition, but not in HD, at least until the HD version of Toast appears.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Frobozz
    Their statement is true if you export in standard definition, but not in HD, at least until the HD version of Toast appears.
    The EyeTV 500 is an HDTV tuner -- can you tell me how to export SD?
    Quote Quote  
  8. From Roxio's Website

"Support for HD content in future versions of Toast will enable users to import HD program files, such as those created from HDTV capture devices, and automatically create anamorphic widescreen DVDs that preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio. Anamorphic DVDs are specially encoded with more visual information than 4:3 letterbox DVDs, resulting in a sharper image when played on a widescreen TV."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the clarification -- I poked around Roxio's site yesterday but missed that declaration.

Now I just have to hope the new version of Toast is released soon. It will be interesting to see if Elgato's web page and data sheets saying "no problem -- EyeTV 500 can burn content to DVD" is either wishful thinking or fraud.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ladd
    The EyeTV 500 is an HDTV tuner -- can you tell me how to export SD?
    I apologize for offering advice about something I knew too little about. I know that EyeTV units that encode standard definition MPEGs work with the current version of Toast, but I wasn't aware the EyeTV 500 is HDTV only. I do suggest you needle ElGato about this matter and get their reply.
    Quote Quote