VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I'm going to Curacao for 4 months (for work ), but I do still want to watch NBA/NFL games, Wich I usually do via livestreams. The only thing I know about the internet in my appartement there, is that its WIFI and the download speed is 200 Kbps.

I have no clue if this is good or not, or if I can watch livestreams on that connection.

Can anyone help me with this?

appreciate it,

Leon
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not good. Live streams usually requires at least 1 Mbps.

You can try a bandwidth limiter on your computer like netlimiter or netbalancer (free trials) and set the download bandwidth to 200 Kbps and see how bad it works. And 200Kbps is max so it might even be much lower sometimes. Especially if several shares the internet connection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember 56k, as in 56kbps? 200kbps is not far off from that.

I live in the middle of nowhere USA and so have few internet options. So the best I have is 1500 Kbps, making my streaming experience subpar. Youtube is alright with the new VP9 codec when I use chrome, but things like Twitch are really hit or miss. Now with NBA/NFL games, they require 2-3 times more bitrate to maintain the same level of quality of a normal TV Show. Because sports have so much movement, random motions, and fast cut scenes. So streaming sports is out of the question.

Since you are from the Netherlands, with some of the fastest internet speeds in the world on average, 200 Kbps will be a bit traumatic for you. I have an upload rate of 250 Kbps and that's bad enough.

Take what ever you want to watch with you, don't expect to get much fast over there. Streaming is pretty much out of the question besides low res youtube in Chrome.
    Quote Quote