VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've got a problem...!! I bought a new HDMI Splitter piece

I used only 2 days and this what it showed to me... I've changed the HDMI cables but no way !!

Note: i use the HDMI Splitter HDCP with ELGATO GAME CAPTURE HD60 to record from TV

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only a few HDMI splitters remove HDCP (as a side-effect.). The VHD-1X2MN3D and VHD-3D1X4 are both good for your purpose (but the VHD Pluto is not). I think that splitter you have was mentioned as a product that doesn't remove HDCP in the very long HDCP Strippers thread

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the extact same one as you. I had no issues at all. I had mine for over 7 months. It does remove hdpcp. How do you have it setup with the capture device? Maybe I can help. I have mine connected to my happuage hdpvr 1512.. I use mine to capture off my directv hd pvr genie dvr.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps there is another splitter that looks the same outside but has different hardware inside. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers?p=2240409&viewfull=1#post2240409 and the following post from vaporeon800. vaporeon800 said his similar looking splitter didn't work and you can trust that he knows what he is doing. He is one of the capture device gurus on this forum.

5. Okay guys, i told that it worked 2 days, then it showed me this error message !! i thought it could be the HDMI cable, i changed an other one but no way !!

The splitter i have is the same one as i montioned in the picture

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yaston View Post
    Okay guys, i told that it worked 2 days, then it showed me this error message !! i thought it could be the HDMI cable, i changed an other one but no way !!

Thanks for clearing that up. You actually wrote nothing in your first post to indicate that the splitter ever worked.

Have you checked that the splitter is plugged in and receiving power (LEDs are lit), and that the video source (a set top-box?) is on and working properly?

7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Okay guys, i told that it worked 2 days, then it showed me this error message !! i thought it could be the HDMI cable, i changed an other one but no way !!

Thanks for clearing that up. You actually wrote nothing in your first post to indicate that the splitter ever worked.

Have you checked that the splitter is plugged in and receiving power (LEDs are lit), and that the video source (a set top-box?) is on and working properly?
    Yeah sure, everything is plugged...

Do you think the splitter has been ravaged ?!! But the lamps are lighted up !!!

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Yes, the LEDs could be lit even if the splitter is broken.

9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Yes, the LEDs could be lit even if the splitter is broken.

Oh nooooo :'( :'( :'( too saad...!! May be it need another kind of HMDI cable? Which kind is better?

10. Device worked for two days, then stopped working, no other changes = device dead.

It's possible it's just locked up so try a reboot: Disconnect power and all HDMI cables. Let it sit for 10 minutes to dissipate any residual capacitive charge. Reconnect power and HDMI cables. Does it work again? If not, it's just dead. Return it for a replacement or refund.

11. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    Wondering why don't you get a HDfury for this purpose ? Their 4K splitter cost $99 shipped and make the issue fly away forever

12. Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    Wondering why don't you get a HDfury for this purpose ? Their 4K splitter cost $99 shipped and make the issue fly away forever
    Because $99 is 5x more than the inexpensive splitters.

13. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    Given the shit quality and issue from them, not to mention the downgraded specs in comparison, me still wondering..

14. One guy has a problem -- so there's a quality issue?

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nor do most people need a 4K-capable HDMI splitter just to record TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Jun 2015 at 12:18.

16. And by the time 4K is common there will be a new type of encryption so the current HDFury will not work for those sources.

17. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    I guess you mean HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0 and 4K60 4.4.4 600mhz ?
    If so, HDfury already have work around for this, even better, they have a HDCP1.4 to HDCP2.2 and HDCP2.2 to HDCP1.4 solution all in one (and that can output HDCP 0.0 in all case after fw upgrade via USB).

Back to the topic, my point was to suggest a reputable device so you get rid of all issue that comes with cheap crap from china, such as washed colors, DOA, compliance and so on...

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    I guess you mean HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0 and 4K60 4.4.4 600mhz ?
    If so, HDfury already have work around for this, even better, they have a HDCP1.4 to HDCP2.2 and HDCP2.2 to HDCP1.4 solution all in one (and that can output HDCP 0.0 in all case after fw upgrade via USB).

Back to the topic, my point was to suggest a reputable device so you get rid of all issue that comes with cheap crap from china, such as washed colors, DOA, compliance and so on...
    These cheap splitter boxes must be cutting into HD Fury's bottom line if they have to send someone in to spread FUD (washed-out colors from a digital interface!) and shill for their products. I see no other kinds of posts from you since you joined here other than those related to promoting HD Fury products.

I had no issues at all from my cheap HDMI splitter (not the same one as the OP's). It worked perfectly for recording TV from my cable box until I got rid of the cable box and switched to a digital cable tuner so I could record 2 shows while watching another.

19. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    I suggest you go on twitch.tv and compare stream from users using hdfury versus china crap, then i guess you will understand.

It's strange that nowadays when someone post good comments about hdfury and bad comments for china crap, there is always someone to tell it's marketing from them, i have seen that on avsforum already. I'm just a gamer from europe, my twitch is budtwitchtv, check my page. Currently i'm on dirty bomb, but i have done bf3 and CS too. I owned nearly all converters before going for an "expensive" one, and i'll never return back. well anyway, i think they not need anymore good reviews, they have enough all over the net from people just like me.

i'm happy for you that you find a cheap converter/splitter giving you satisfaction, but i also think you might have a small screen that make it hard to spot issue in picture quality, or simply quality is may be not a priority for you.

Converters and spliiters do suffer from various issues: if it's not washed colors (technically it's colorspace issue), then you also have intermittent snow (hdcp renegociation issue), horizontal stripes (signal integrity issue) and a few others i mentioned earlier. if your one do not suffer from any of these, i think i wanna try it too, just to see if its true
    Last edited by TheFreeman; 2nd Jul 2015 at 18:57.

20. Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    I owned nearly all converters before going for an "expensive" one, and i'll never return back.
    I don't know which HDMI splitters you've played with but I've verified that my ~$20 splitters output exactly the same colors, levels, and sharpness as the input. The only difference is the removal of HDCP.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you go on twitch.tv and compare stream from users using hdfury versus china crap, then i guess you will understand.

It's strange that nowadays when someone post good comments about hdfury and bad comments for china crap, there is always someone to tell it's marketing from them, i have seen that on avsforum already. I'm just a gamer from europe, my twitch is budtwitchtv, check my page. Currently i'm on dirty bomb, but i have done bf3 and CS too. I owned nearly all converters before going for an "expensive" one, and i'll never return back. well anyway, i think they not need anymore good reviews, they have enough all over the net from people just like me.

i'm happy for you that you find a cheap converter/splitter giving you satisfaction, but i also think you might have a small screen that make it hard to spot issue in picture quality, or simply quality is may be not a priority for you.

Converters and spliiters do suffer from various issues: if it's not washed colors (technically it's colorspace issue), then you also have intermittent snow (hdcp renegociation issue), horizontal stripes (signal integrity issue) and a few others i mentioned earlier. if your one do not suffer from any of these, i think i wanna try it too, just to see if its true
    Yeah, right... A company that sells products that might be used for video game capture would be completely uninterested in recruiting someone who posts video game captures online to shill for them.

I saw none of the problems you describe in my TV captures, or watching TV using the splitter. Any HDTV would be sufficient for spotting problems like those. It wouldn't have to be large or expensive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Jul 2015 at 21:28.

22. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    lol are you under medic for paranoia ? the last time i came here it was 3 years ago, at that time i was using a 3dfury unit for hdcp removal after having used it to display 3D on my plasma display. Just look my post list !
    Suggesting that someone is funding me to post something every 3 years is a bit insane
    Anyway, as i wrote, i have seen that on avsforum too, so may be i'm also paranoiac huh? but at least my paranoia is about daily posts appearing on all forums that are full of bs regarding hdcp stripper.

23. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I owned nearly all converters before going for an "expensive" one, and i'll never return back.
    I don't know which HDMI splitters you've played with but I've verified that my ~$20 splitters output exactly the same colors, levels, and sharpness as the input. The only difference is the removal of HDCP.

From what you wrote you either haven't made any real comparison, including pattern test, or you haven't a perfect vision.
    various studies are showing that about 10 to 30 % of all humans beings actually have a perfect vision.

i have removed a 299$ atlona device from my setup because it was producing artifacts. i'm willing to test any $20 china crap that is doing better.

On my twitch.tv page, check recordings older than a week, then check the last 7 days recording.
    Everything older than a week have the atlona still in the chain.

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol are you under medic for paranoia ? the last time i came here it was 3 years ago, at that time i was using a 3dfury unit for hdcp removal after having used it to display 3D on my plasma display. Just look my post list !
    Suggesting that someone is funding me to post something every 3 years is a bit insane
    Anyway, as i wrote, i have seen that on avsforum too, so may be i'm also paranoiac huh? but at least my paranoia is about daily posts appearing on all forums that are full of bs regarding hdcp stripper.
    Who said HD Fury is only compensating you to shill here here, or to promote just one of their products? You probably spend more time bamboozling the ignorant on gaming-related sites not general video sites like this one, so you coming back here after 3 years to shill for a different HD Fury product doesn't seem strange at all.

Speaking of mental illness, it is most unfortunate that narcissists like you are unlikely to seek help because being narcissistic, they are completely convinced of their own superiority no matter how ridiculous they seem to the rest of the world.

I'm pretty sure I could spot the severe colorspace issues, sparklies and lines you describe on my TV or PC monitor even with these tired old eyes. As far as jababo goes, he actually does use test patterns and he uses histograms to analyze video.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Jul 2015 at 11:26. Reason: grammar

25. Member
    Search Comp PM

How does a "cheap crap from china" spltter possibly result in washed out colours? I might have brought that idea with analog conversion, but a digital splitter is by definition digital - and surely either it passes the signal if it doesn't. I fail to see how it can pass the signal in some sort of half-assed fashion that washes out colours, as it doesn't do any conversion. If it works, all good. If it doesn't work then send it back as faulty. There's not really any middle ground here.

26. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    all cheap splitters i tried did not pass rgb full range through, they deal with it like if its a limited or yuv colorspace and thus when u input rgb, you are losing 0-14 and 235-255 color depth. and i won't mention deep color support which is just a line on the packaging for them. as i said if anyone can recommend any good and cheap one, i will buy and try it.

27. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    Who said HD Fury is only compensating you to shill here here, or to promote just one of their products? You probably spend more time bamboozling the ignorant on gaming-related sites not general video sites like this one, so you coming back here after 3 years to shill for a different HD Fury product doesn't seem strange at all.

Speaking of mental illness, it is most unfortunate that narcissists like you are unlikely to seek help because being narcissistic, they are completely convinced of their own superiority no matter how ridiculous they seem to the rest of the world.

I'm pretty sure I could spot the severe colorspace issues, sparklies and lines you describe on my TV or PC monitor even with these tired old eyes. As far as jababo goes, he actually does use test patterns and he uses histograms to analyze video.
    ok and now i'm narcissist and convinced that i'm superior, did u read that in crystal ball ? readers will make their opinion, if they think i have a sponsor that pay me to post2 times in 3 years, or if the sponsor is not behind the one that post daily bs about china crap with amazon, ebay link or whatever place where this kind of devices are sold.
    now wonder why people throw many thousands $ in lumagen or dvdo hardware, splitter would be the sole hardware where quality and features are not involved. any crap would get it right, sure. eat sheep eat
    Last edited by TheFreeman; 5th Jul 2015 at 22:27.

28. Member
    Search Comp PM

ok and now i'm narcissist and convinced that i'm superior, did u read that in crystal ball ? readers will make their opinion, if they think i have a sponsor that pay me to post2 times in 3 years, or if the sponsor is not behind the one that post daily bs about china crap with amazon, ebay link or whatever place where this kind of devices are sold.
    now wonder why people throw many thousands $ in lumagen or dvdo hardware,when they can get in done for $20 if we listen to u.
    when u offer crap at least admit it.
    The $20 splitter I have worked well for me and for several other members here too for recording TV. If that is your definition of crap, your English needs some work. TV is 8-bit 4:2:0 encoded for YCbCr, and there is no need for the splitter to handle RGB or deep color.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Jul 2015 at 22:43.

29. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    Yes i agree if you don't care about quality 20$ stripper can work on an intermittent basic, i'm not english, so sorry if crap is too hard to hear.

However, there is a list of possible issues that do affect splitter and do affect a lot the cheap splitter just like i started to list them in this thread. Another issue is that cheap splitter can froze the picture or just give a blackscreen time to time.. the current work around i read in the forum is "reboot the splitter", just as you can read it in this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers?p=2397297#post2397297

Losing my picture while gaming or watching movies and having to reboot splitter is a show stopper for me. Just like the horizontal stripes can be and others issues. If you list all possible issues, none of your cheap stripper can successfully pass the test, if any does it, as i said, i'm also willing to get one!

PS: your tv may not need or may not support deep color, 4:4:4 or RGB, but that's your TV. i have many monitors and HDTV of good quality and i'll not downgrade their capabilities by using a cheap splitter, that was my point.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes i agree if you don't care about quality 20$ stripper can work on an intermittent basic, i'm not english, so sorry if crap is too hard to hear.

However, there is a list of possible issues that do affect splitter and do affect a lot the cheap splitter just like i started to list them in this thread. Another issue is that cheap splitter can froze the picture or just give a blackscreen time to time.. the current work around i read in the forum is "reboot the splitter", just as you can read it in this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers?p=2397297#post2397297

Losing my picture while gaming or watching movies and having to reboot splitter is a show stopper for me. Just like the horizontal stripes can be and others issues. If you list all possible issues, none of your cheap stripper can successfully pass the test, if any does it, as i said, i'm also willing to get one!

PS: your tv may not need or may not support deep color, 4:4:4 or RGB, but that's your TV. i have many monitors and HDTV of good quality and i'll not downgrade their capabilities by using a cheap splitter, that was my point.
    You must be extremely dense not understand by now that neither the OP nor I were recording sRGB or RGB from video game consoles or PCs. We were both recording TV via the YPbCr HDMI output from a set-top box of some kind. ...or maybe you are just trolling now.

In my case, the video coming to me via cable is encoded 8-bit 4:2:0 YUV. The cable box used YPbCr for HDMI and there was no RGB HDMI option in its menus. Why would there be? The capture device I used hardware encodes 8-bit 4:2:0 YUV. My TV is perfectly happy with YPbCr HDMI. So why I would I know or care about whether the splitter has any issues with RGB, sRGB or deep color?

As I have said before, I had none of the problems you describe using my splitter to split the HDMI signal from a cable box to feed both a Hauppauge Colossus and a TV. Why would I want to spend $100 for a device with capabilities I don't need when my $20 splitter works just fine. I don't care how you spend your money.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Jul 2015 at 11:45.