VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, it's true. 4.0.4.1 has an option - disabled by default - to automatically NOT map those botched sectors. Boo-yah!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Another copy protection scheme bites the dust!
    Quote Quote  
  3. sweet

how much is anydvd?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by makkar
    Sorry
    ??
    Sony's new Arccos protection has been getting a lot of press in here and other DVD forums lately, despite currently being confined to certain releases in parts of Region2.

It's essentially a band of bad sectors on the disc, mapped into a dummy title that is never accessed in the course of playing the disc, but which WILL be read by a ripper because it's referenced in one of the IFO files.

The new AnyDVD will remove the offending entries from the IFO on the fly, allowing any program to simply read the disc and copy it.

Olli RULES.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any chance of Lightning UK incorporating this into DVDDecrypter?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    its already in, it just replaces the bad sectors with dummies

3.5.1.0 Released: 2nd September 2004
    Added: Ability to Import / Export PSL (Protected Sectors List) files (Option is located in the 'File' menu). Users can work out the best methods to backup certain 'problem' discs
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Mackem. I have the newest version, but I'm not very well versed in the "DVD/IFO world lingo" so I rarely read the change logs. I just know it works and works well for me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it's not "automatic" in DVD Decrypter, to the best of my knowledge. It can skip the bad sectors but it doesn't detect ArcCos and automatically do a remapping.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    would have been cool if when you installed DVDDecrypter it asked whether you want it on or off by default

I can't see how it does remapping in anydvd as it's awkward manually sometimes never mind automatically as I can think of a few ways it could trip up. I If it says it on the tin then it should do it

@Fairhope, changelog?????, is that the same thing as instructions that I never look at also until I give up
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you Gurm for the clarification
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    would have been cool if when you installed DVDDecrypter it asked whether you want it on or off by default
    Yes, I imagine that DVD Decrypter will get it sorted out eventually. I continue to be in awe of people who consistently release top-notch software for free... I work @ home contracting and take care of my kid, and can't find ANY time to work on the half-dozen programming projects I'm involved in, I can't imagine doing it on top of a REAL job. So kudos to them!

On the other hand, I've always been a big fan of Olli and SlySoft (nee Elby), ever since I discovered CloneCD and got my first drive capable of reproducing sector errors. Yeah it costs money for AnyDVD, as it did for CloneCD, but I think it's money well spent. Consider it my charitable contribution towards giving a big "**** you" to the forces of copy protection.

I can't see how it does remapping in anydvd as it's awkward manually sometimes never mind automatically as I can think of a few ways it could trip up. I If it says it on the tin then it should do it
    Again, I've always been impressed by Olli's particular brand of "automagic" detection of stuff. He was the first to make an automatic on-the-fly deprotector for all the CD protection formats, so I'm confident that this one will work. Of course I can't empirically test it unless some poor sod in Region2 wants to send me an Arccos-protected disc to fiddle with. (PM for shipping details, Spanish folks!)
    Quote Quote