VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! I need a bit of help here. I'm not really an expert in video restoration, and I'm trying to find a way to remove annoying rainbow-like artifacts. I'm not sure what they're called.

This video is sourced from a DVD - I've attached a small sample. It's really noticeable, for example, in the scene with a close up of the girl, in her hair, or in the scene with Freddie Mercury's sillhouette, in the digital computer drawings.

I've tried various methods I thought would work, with no avail. I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Cheers
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What specific methods did you try?
    Quote Quote  
  3. ^

not every rainbowing artefact is the same. it would be helpful to know what have you tried before
    Quote Quote  
  4. I didn't see much rainbowing in that clip, except near the beginning in the girl's hair. If it were me, I'd just live with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How's this?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nice, what did you use?
    (fft3dfilter on chroma only with sigma=20, would also work but smooth chroma quite a bit)
    Last edited by Selur; 21st Nov 2022 at 22:33.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  7. The chroma blurring was done with BinomialBlur and a SMDegrain. I used a mask to apply the blurring only near chroma/luma edges.

Code:
    Mpeg2Source(...)
    src = last

emask = Overlay(UtoY().mt_edge(thy1=4,thy2=4), VtoY().mt_edge(thy1=4,thy2=4), mode="add").mt_expand().PointResize(width, height)
    emask = Overlay(emask, mt_edge(thy1=8,thy2=8).mt_expand(), mode="multiply").mt_expand().BinomialBlur(5.0)
    bchroma = src.BinomialBlur(0.0, 5.0, 2, 3, 3).SMDegrain(tr=5, thSAD=5000, refinemotion=true, contrasharp=false, PreFilter=4, mode=0, truemotion=true, plane=3, chroma=false)
    Overlay(last, bchroma, mask=emask)

MergeChroma(src, last)
    The strong SMDegrain settings may cause some chroma ghosting.

Note that I treated the video as progressive though it contains a few interlaced shots (most of which were b/w). It may need to be modified to work properly with interlaced shots.
    Quote Quote  
  8. what DVD has this video been sourced from?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Nice.
    I attached how QTGMC+maskedFFT3DFilter and QTGMC+maskedFFT3DFilter+SpotLess+MCTemoralDenoise look like.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Is there any way to disable that grain freezing on QTGMC? The denoising makes the video look kinda dull, and grain freezing is really distracting. Otherwise it's a nice output must I say.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sure, there are tons of options in qtgmc to lower the denoising.
    Quote Quote  
  12. oh thanks these definitely will be helpful in my qtgmc usage. for a long time i'd just use veryfast to buypass denoising
    Quote Quote