VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I purchased Ecamm Call Recorder for Skype over a year ago for the purpose of recording podcasts with Internet friends who can't be recorded locally (I live in Wisconsin, one co-host lives in Florida, and the other lives in Washington). One thing that's weird is that this software records both audio and video calls in a QuickTime movie. To my knowledge, audio call recordings usually consist of two mono AAC audio tracks multiplexed together (but not stereo), within a QuickTime movie container. Recently, I started to record the podcast as I usually do, but Skype (for whatever reason) crashed in the middle of the call for the first time. After fixing the issue, I was able to rejoin the call and record the end of the episode.

However, when I went to edit the episode, I noticed the only file saved was the end of the call. I was able to find the original part of the call (which may only be part of it, but it would be better than nothing) in the hidden temp directory within the location I save all my recordings to. However, the file appears to be corrupt. It won't play in QuickTime or open in Audacity. What's worse, I usually have these episodes out every other Friday (which is later today), and the only thing I have to work with is about ten minutes of the end.

I'm not sure if anyone would be able to help me, but I uploaded both the broken file and the working recording of the end of the call/episode to Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S1Pxg1-4gnpQ3fWub7Ajp1PiQ8zsiiRo If anyone is able to help me recover even part of the broken file, that would be extremely helpful to me. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The tool "untrunc" running in Linux produced a file that opens, but if you look at it in Audacity,
    there is very little audio there. Have you tried this tool? https://www.videohelp.com/software/Video-Repair-Tool
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my guess is the temp file is just raw data. there is no mov atom at the end. i tried adding it from the good file in a hex editor but no joy there.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote