VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Thread
  1. I am putting together a slide show with Studio 8. The duration that each picture shows is by default 4. I can change it to make it longer or shorter duration. My question is, is there a way to do do a global change for each picture? I don't want to have to individually change the duration for 200 pictures. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If i make image with Studio 8, it makes many files and takes for one hour about 12 Gb place. But there is only one directory VIDEO_TS (cca. 4,x GB)with files, which I burn with Nero (except anchor and volume). But can I delete all other files and leave only VIDEO_TS file and after some time burn Video DVD normally with Nero. I think so, but...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I believe there is an option in menu "Delete Aux.... files". You can use that to delete files..... or is it in v9 ??? Check it please.
    Quote Quote  
  4. And if I use this option (delete aux files) the video_ts files will be still available???
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The process looks like this:
    Video file (AVI) -> MPEG2 Video -> disk compilation (VIDEO_TS folder)

Once your authoring program has compiled DVD disk structure: \video_ts and \audio_ts (empty) you can delete all previous files (AVI, MPEG, MPG,M2V etc.) that you used to compose a DVD disk.
    All files needed for DVD creation are in \video_ts folder. Obviously before deleting you need to test your DVD content.
    It is a good idea to setup in preferences all directiories/folders for video files and temp files on 1 part. to keep track of them and make management easier. The best way is to create the DVD disk, test it and then start deleting whatever files you may choose.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by gumpec
    And if I use this option (delete aux files) the video_ts files will be still available???
    Best way to find out is to test it. Create 1minute project, make it DVD adn see what is going to happen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks, i will try and report! And one more think, which i discover. If I burn project, created with Studio 8 with Nero 6 on Plextor PX708A and use Verbatim 1-4X disc, I have problems if i try to burn at 2.4X but so far I haven't problems if I burn at 4X. Is somebody notice the same?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gumpec
    Thanks, i will try and report! And one more think, which i discover. If I burn project, created with Studio 8 with Nero 6 on Plextor PX708A and use Verbatim 1-4X disc, I have problems if i try to burn at 2.4X but so far I haven't problems if I burn at 4X. Is somebody notice the same?
    Interesting.... You have trouble when you burn at slower speed ? What kind of problem ? I saw it other way arround...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, it's strange... I had till now so many problems, and destroyed so many disk, that I decided to buy only +RW. Verbatim say it's the same quality and archival life of disk as by +R and you can use them latter too for some other recording...
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK, I really love your post and now I can make cool DVD menus, but, please, tell me: how can I merge my three studio projects to one big file to put a menu if I can only run one Studio at time?

You sad:
    Place your one big file (or hundred small clips) on timeline
    Place in front of that clip DVD Menu ....."

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by richard.moreno
    OK, I really love your post and now I can make cool DVD menus, but, please, tell me: how can I merge my three studio projects to one big file to put a menu if I can only run one Studio at time?

You sad:
    Place your one big file (or hundred small clips) on timeline
    Place in front of that clip DVD Menu ....."

thanks.
    Clip and Project are two different thinks... Is that what you are asking ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by donpedro
    For those that are interested...
    Download Trial 30-days Pinnacle Studio 9
    I was excited to try out Pinnacle Studio 9, so I downloaded the demo, only to find it is a crippled demo. I spent about an hour or so capturing a video, but it won't let you output to DVD, only VHS. It also will not let you convert the file to mpg2
    Looks like a nice program though, but I'm not going to buy it without trying it, and the demo is useless, unless I am missing something (I am new at this)
    Quote Quote  
  13. I didn't try Trial version of PS9, but at the time when I was trying version 8, they had same restriction No MPEG2 encoder... Too bad..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in making DVD. I am having a nightmare with S9. Smoke has been coming out from my ears. I am hoping anyone of you will shed me some guidience light here.
    I had the S8 before and was able to produce 5 dvds. All of them were about one hour long with menu, transitions and background music added. Then I upgraded to S9 and have already downloaded the 9.0.8 patch. My first project was a slide show album with menu, transitions and background music added. It was a nightmare but I managed to solve the no audio when playing on DVD player problem finally after numerous experiments. My second project this time is making a three hours video, which I plan to split them into three DVDs. This time I encountered a rendering problem. It crashed around 2 mins 10 secs almost 8 out of 10 times. The rest of the time, it crashed at somewhere else but never passed 4 mins. (even though I always defrag the disk and delete Aux file before rendering)
    So I tried to test it with the clips (MPEG) came with S9, added menu and transactions and it worked. Then I added a bit of my clip (AVI) to it to make it into 3 mins long, it crashed when it rendered to the avi clips part. So I captured 3 mins of my own clips in Mpeg and added it to the sample clips and tested again, and it worked.

Question 1, why can't I use AVI as my source file?

Since it seems to me that rendering part works fine with Mpeg, so I tried to capture all my clips again in Mpeg to finish up the project. However, this time it crashed during capturing.

Question 2, Do you think this crashing problem is due to the efficiency of my equipments? Or is there any length restriction with Mpeg capturing?

I am really desperate here. My apologies for the dumb way I asked questions. Not only that I have minimal knowledge in DVD making, my English is really bad too. I appreciate any suggestion or advices.

Many Thanks
    Laufaye
    Quote Quote  
  15. I upgraded my computer and I thought that it will be interesting to see new results so you can compare them with my old PC

Test results from making DVD with Pinnacle Studio version 9.0.8.9 Patch

Here is test that I made on this machine with exactly 1h long DVD AVI (exactly same as with old PC). Project was set to maximum bitrate 7500 and MPEG sound, no transitions, no major editing, no menus.

- Windows XP SP1
    - AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ (1830MHz) 333FSB
    - 512MB RAM DDR PC3200 running as PC2700 (dual channel)
    - mobo ABIT AN7 (nVIDIA nFORCE 2 Ultra 400)
    - video card GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP 8x
    - resolution 1024x768x32bit 85Hz

1:53 - Convert video
    0:10 - Create second copy of video
    0:02 - Create audio
    0:08 - Make DVD structure
    2:13 - Total time

Time with old PC was 3:57 so you can see, there is a big improvement. By investing some money I was able to cut down from original time 1h44min.

Lesson learned : If you need fast encoding, buy fast PC
    Quote Quote  
  16. One more update on performance test from my previouse post

Purpose of this test was to see what is going to happen when you turn "hardware acceleration" option in Pinnacle Studio version 9 ON and OFF.

My test project was 10 4-second video clips (720x480 DV AVI) with 11 2-second Hollywood FX "BAS-Balloon" transitions between them.

I timed doing a Make Movie with DV AVI output. I did 2 timings of each setup to make sure it was consistent and I deleted auxiliary files after each test.

NEW Computer: 1.83GHz Athlon XP Barton 333FSB, 512GB RAM DDR PC3200 running as PC2700 (dual channel), mobo ABIT AN7 (nVIDIA nFORCE 2 Ultra 400), nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP 8x, running Windows XP Home SP1

Studio 9.0.8.9 / HFX 5.2 Build 48 - Software Engine 178 seconds
    Studio 9.0.8.9 / HFX 5.2 Build 48 - GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR 64-bit, 66 seconds

OLD Computer: 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird 266FSB, 1GB RAM DDR PC2100, mobo Shuttle AK31A (VT8366-8233), AGP 4x, running Windows XP Home SP1

Studio 9.0.8.5 Beta / HFX 5.2 Build 48 - Software Engine 260 seconds
    Studio 9.0.8.5 Beta / HFX 5.2 Build 48 - GeForce 2 MX400 64MB SDR 128-bit, 95 seconds
    Studio 9.0.8.5 Beta / HFX 5.2 Build 48 - GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR 64-bit, 84 seconds

This one is not mine and it is posted on Pinnacles Forum. I am posting it here so you can see and compare performance with P4 with Hyperthreading. One comment though. I don't know which transition was used to do that test, which might change results.

Originally Posted by Pinnacle Forum
    For all tests my system was a 2.8GHz P4 with Hyperthreading with 512MB of RAM, running Windows XP with all the latest service packs/patches.

My test project was 10 4-second video clips (720x480 DV AVI) with 11 2-second Hollywood FX transitions between them.

I timed doing a Make Movie with DV AVI output. I did multiple timings of each setup to make sure it was consistent.

Studio 8 / HFX 4.6 - Software Engine 180 seconds
    Studio 8 / HFX 4.6 - HW ATI 9600XT 65 seconds

Studio 9 / HFX 5.5 - Software Engine 93 seconds
    Studio 9 / HFX 5.5 - HW ATI 9600XT w128MB 69 seconds
    Studio 9 / HFX 5.5 - HW NVidia 5900se w128MB 57 seconds
    As an secondary result you can see that machine performace is very important. And as far as I know PS9 is optimized for Pentium4 and can take advatage of Hyperthreading.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi, Laufaye

Couple of questions....

1. Are you using DV AVI as a source file for your project ?
    2. If yes, did you capture it with 9.0.8.9 version ?
    3. What do you capture from ? Type of camcorder, capture card ?

Now some sugestions ( I am not expert on PS9 so I might be wrong) that are my own opinion that is not based on any testing or information.

A. I don't think it is a good idea to mix MPG and AVI files in project.
    B. I am not aware of any "any length restriction with Mpeg capturing".
    C. Crashing problem was always mistery with Studio. It's working just fine on some PC's but crashing on others. Did you try sugestion from my very first post in this thread ?
    D. I was checking you CPU on newegg.com and it seems that they have 333FSB and 400FSB version. Which do you have ? I was reading somewhere that it is a good idea to have CPU and RAM frequency synchronized. But this might be already true for you.
    E. I guess you tryied all those standard sugestions.... Disable Network, disable USB, disable Anti-Virus soft., end everythink that you don't need for PS9.

Sorry that I am not better help here ...
    Quote Quote  
  18. donpedro - you rock for buildiing this board. I've learned tons.

I've fairly new to editing video. I've read all 10 pages of posts on this board as well as the capture posts on the main page and didn't see anything that directly addresses this. I'm starting a pretty involved editing project and I want to do it at the highest quality possible. I'm dropping frames when trying to capture analog video at DV quality. I'm using Studio 9 AV/DV deluxe with all latest patches. Here's what I've done so far:
    -I've got my OS (XP pro SP1 all patches) and Pinnacle separated from the carture drive - both are completely defraged
    -downloaded an EndItAll utility to kill all background processes before I capture
    -turned capture preview off
    -tried the PPE (PCI Performance Enhancer) utility - whatever that does?
    -checked the data transfer rate of the capture drive and it's clocking between 25000 & 27000.

I'm stumped, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. as I mentioned , I'd like this to be the best quality possible so if DV isn't going to be possible can you recommend a second best codec? It seems to behave if I use the MJPEG compressor. Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I don't what to tell you other that you already know and tried. Problem (or my advantage) is that I capture only from MiniDV camcorder and I don;t have experience with dropped frames. Some long, long time ago with version 7 I had it and I resolved it by (if I still remember) turning off some kind of option of hardrive. Either in OS or by using some special Maxtor software to disable something. But since then I had new HD and I never had to do anythink like that.

Other sugestion will be to try to look at Pinnacles Forum, probably one for version 8 or 7 and not 9. 9 is new and you want find those "Best of the Best" posts there yet.

Sorry and Good Luck.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Studio 9 is really better than version 8 or it's just marketing?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Donpedro, just captured my first DV video with studio 8 (I believe I had 8.12.2 at the time, I just applied the 8.12.7 patch but haven't done anything else since then).

My video came out to 69 minutes. I selected Automatic for compression to utilize the best quality. But after watching it on my DVD player and HD TV I do notice that it is lacking sharpness. I know I can't really compare it to watching the video off of my DV camcorder (Sony TRV-22).

Any suggestions I could try with? Any other codecs you recommend? Settings?

This was my very first time doing this with Studio 8 and I must say it was real easy. Used onboard Firewire port and got 0 dropped frames. Was capturing to a 160 UTA/133 8meg cache HD.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Maybe if you can post all the settings that you used.....

Anyway... It seems that you are doing everything like you should. Capturing (more like file copy) in DV AVI = no loss. Lenght is about right for best quality that you can get from MPEG2 encoder. So it is hard to say... Sometimes DVD PLayers have some extra settings that can change how is playback displyed on TV... check that, but this is more like guessing from my side.

Trouble of home made recordings is that picture is shaky, a lot of zoom in/out, low light. These factors make MPEG2 encoding more difficult since it brings a lot of frame-to-frame changes. Tripod, good light and some other techniques can improve future DVD's
    Quote Quote  
  23. I pretty much left all the settings to default. I just captured, added a title overlay in the beginning and a transition fade between where tape1 ended and tape 2 began.

I'll admit, the environment wasn't the best for recording (windows behind subject) so there was a lot of bright light from the window and darkness from the room competing each other.

I'll try another video clip that I took when I went to the Azores this past summer and see if there is any difference in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have another problem with Studio 8. I made a project and encode it with Studio. But in one scene, there is cloudy sky and very strong colours (life jacket). The orange colour is beating and is going over the edge of the life jacket. Have anybody any idea what's wrong??? Somebody tell me, I need to use Filter video option. But in manual I read, this option enables a smoothing filter that may improve the apparent quality of video at lower data rates (I use HQ settings - so the best possible bit rate). Image sharpness is sligtly reduced. Can anybody (especialy Don Pedro) tell me, can this filter improve my picture and what impact has this on image sharpness (can I see it)?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Does Pinnacle have any filters such as denoiser?

My ADVC-100 arrives today and I will be working with DV AVI for the first time. I have Pinnacle Studio 8.12.7 (ATI version with some lock in limitations) to test.

I have been comparing comprehensive programs in addition to popular separate programs for each process. I do not recall the mention of any filters included in Pinnacle Studio.

If it does have any filters, does it apply them when the file is saved as DV AVI after editing or when it is encoded to MPEG 2?
    Quote Quote  
  26. There is such filter in Studio 9, i don't think there is in Studio 8!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hi all,

Up till half a year ago, I was able to work with Pinnacle:
    load digital video (DV out) from my video cam to the PC, editing the movie, apply transistions, texts, the whole thing, apply a DVD menu, an burn the stuff to a DVD disk and play it in my DVD player. Happy days!
    But, since a couple of months Pinncale crashed all the time ... and I almost gave it up.

However, after reading this forum I gave Pinnacle Studio 8 another try.
    So I followed a number of suggestion from this forum, and did the following to work with a clean environment:
    - partitioned my hard-drive
    - Installed a second XP on it (so I created dual-boot XP)
    - installed Pinnacle 8.0 and upgraded this to version 8.12.7

I tried video editing, and thank god, I'm able again to create DVD's!
    However, as soon as I add a DVD menu, I'm back to a crashing Pinnacle application
    I tried everything: "burn to disk immediately", "create DVD image but do not burn" but no success.

So I then installed uLead VideoStudio 8; I thought I'd give it a try.
    loaded digital video from my video cam(DV out) to the PC, edited the movie, applied transistions, even applied a DVD menu, and exported the movie to a DVD file on my hard drive.
    So far all succes! The next step is burning to DVD and play in my DVD player, but I have more confidence in uLead than I have in Pinnacle now.

Pinnacle is more user-friendly and has better transitions etc., but Pinnacle is less stable.
    If others recognise this, I can advice uLead VideoStudio 8 for you.

Good luck, all you home video editors out there

system: P4, 2,6 GHZ, 512 RAM, 120GB&7200rpm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fweijers
    but Pinnacle is less stable.
    If others recognise this, I can advice uLead VideoStudio 8 for you.
    Agreed the very first thing I ever pertaining to video was to try and open Studio 8 and it promptly crashed. I updated it and used it for about 3 or 4 days and moved on after a few more crashes.
    Quote Quote