VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    reading the page dvd audio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#Authoring_software

there is that the audio dvd can
    Audio on a DVD-Audio disc can be stored in many different bit depth/sampling rate/channel combinations:
    i'm watching stereo 2.0 can be record in 16 or 20 or 24bit and from 44.1 to 192k

i have never ripped an audio dvd , but i search around internet and there are several dvd audio ripper

but can a dvd audio ripper rip 24bit @ 192k to flac or 24bit to 48k to flac or an encoder that support such the dvd stereo 2.0?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ripping technically just means copying the bit stream and removing copy protection in the process. So yes, you should be able to rip any of those combinations.

But your post isn't 100% clear (maybe a language issue). You post a link about DVD authoring but your question is about ripping, which is sort of the opposite thing.

If you're wanting to upsample/convert, there's no point to that. You can't put in information that isn't there.

I do often downsample 24 bit audio though. While recording audio in 24 bit is a very good idea, there's actually no audible benefit to 24 bit playback and all those "golden ear" audiophiles are fools. Like those wine 'experts' who can;t tell white from red in proper double blind tests. However, most of those releases are mastered better than the CD release so they still sound better. In fact they usually wipe the floor with the CD. The main thing when downsampling is to always sample to a frequency that evenly divides the original. Ie. 192K to 48K.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Ripping technically just means copying the bit stream and removing copy protection in the process. So yes, you should be able to rip any of those combinations.

But your post isn't 100% clear (maybe a language issue). You post a link about DVD authoring but your question is about ripping, which is sort of the opposite thing.

If you're wanting to upsample/convert, there's no point to that. You can't put in information that isn't there.

I do often downsample 24 bit audio though. While recording audio in 24 bit is a very good idea, there's actually no audible benefit to 24 bit playback and all those "golden ear" audiophiles are fools. Like those wine 'experts' who can;t tell white from red in proper double blind tests. However, most of those releases are mastered better than the CD release so they still sound better. In fact they usually wipe the floor with the CD. The main thing when downsampling is to always sample to a frequency that evenly divides the original. Ie. 192K to 48K.
    hi
    i have for example Nirvana 4 dvds , i would like to rip them
    about the link , i point that the audio dvd can be record at 24bit and 192k
    i have few audio audio dvd and i would like to rip them
    i guess DVD Audio Extractor 7 could be a tool that let me rip audio , couldn't it?
    i would like if i can rip in flac at 24bit and 192k , i know i wil never hear the differents between 44.1 /16bit
    but i want to try , the program is not free , does the program rip audio at 24bit/192k and encode to flac 24bit/192?
    is there a 100% free alternative ?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. rama,
    The wiki page you linked to says:

Unofficial playback of DVD-Audio on a PC is possible through freeware audio player foobar2000 for Windows using an open source plug-in extension called DVDADecoder. VLC media player has DVD-Audio support.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a DVD-Audio disc, but here's the download page for foobar2000:
    https://www.foobar2000.org/
    Here's the pack of encoders that can be distributed legally:
    http://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack
    Here's the DVD-Audio Decoder plugin:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/

Even though I use foobar2000 for ripping CDs, converting and playback almost daily, the above is the extent of my knowledge when it comes to DVD-Audio.... basically zero.

The help file for the DVD-Audio Decoder plugin says it'll rip/play encrypted DVD-Audio discs, which would mean fb2k can convert them to another format too.

NOTES:
    This plugin is capable to decode protected DVD-Audio content.
    This plugin is capable to detect DVD-Audio watermarks.
    This plugin contains MLP Decoder from FFmpeg project and some parts from libdvdread library.
    USE:
    Put foo_input_dvda.dll into foobar200\components subfolder. Then open AUDIO_TS\AIDIO_TS.IFO, *.MLP or *.ISO file for playback.

Use DVD-Audio Watermark Detector DSP plugin for watermark detection. Check foobar console log for watermark presence.
    [hh:mms.nnn] is "watermark start time" and not the time when it was detected.
    [XXXXXXXXXXXX] is "4C 12 bit" watermark vector.

If AUDIO_TS follder is copied from protected disc (Right-Click -> File Operations -> Copy to...) it will be automatically decrypted.
    Select "Destination Folder", check "Copy Entire source Folder Content", enter "File Name Pattern" as %filename%, click "Run".
    See console output for operation progress.
    Given the help file mentioned ffmpeg can decode MLP files, you could also decode them with foobar2000 and the FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper plugin, although I imagine it won't play encrypted files. You'd probably have to rip/decrypt them first, so the DVD-Audio Decoder plugin would be the one to try first.
    https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_ffmpeg

If you haven't used foobar2000 before, be prepared for a learning curve, especially as you'll be jumping straight into installing plugins rather than just using it as an audio player. If you need help, this is the best place to ask for it:
    https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/board,28.0.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rama View Post
    ... I would like if i can rip in flac at 24bit and 192k , i know i wil never hear the differents between 44.1 /16bit
    but i want to try...
    Again, ripping just means copying the bit stream. If it's 16 bit audio, whcih I suspect, the software would have to re encode it.

But you say you know you can't hear the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit audio. So WHY? The audio files will probably be 5 or 6 times as big as the audio stream on the original DVD. That's a huge waste of storage for something you know makes NO difference.
    Quote Quote