VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Very few authoring tools need to mention that this is supported because it is (and should be) simply assumed to be the case. As I pointed out earlier, you cannot author a video that is 23.976 fps. It must be either 29.97 fps (either shot that way or hard telecined), or it must have pulldown applied. DVD Workshop 2 does support 23.976 fps with 2:3 / 3:2 pulldown applied. I have used it in the past to do this without issue.

Perhaps you should PM LordSmurf, who is probably the biggest fan of this software in the forums here, and see if he can offer some insight into your woes.
    So your menus played perfectly on your DVD player as they did on your Ulead DWS interface? I am thinking of maybe uninstalling and reinstalling Ulead and trying again.

However, there is one thing for sure, Ulead does not encode and apply the 2:3 pulldown. Another strange thing I found is that it always shows the file size to be 4GB when it is really over 7GB.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I installed and reinstalled Ulead DWS 2 and there is on change, in fact, we're back to square one. Chapters are screwed up.

In that case, I am guessing the TMPGEnc's encoding may be causing the problems.

With Roxio DVDit HD, maybe this problem can be solved because it will encode with 2:3 pulldown and at the same time take care of the menus and chapters, so it has to do everything correctly since it is all in one software, we'll see once it gets here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just received Roxio DVDit Pro HD.

I coverted to MPEG2 in TMPGEnc with the 3:2 pulldown tags. As I imported the file in DVDit I was told that it is not DVD compliant. G-Spot says it is and that the pics/s are 23.976 and fps are 29.97 fps.

DVDit also wants to transcode the MPEG2 file again even though I selected the setting for not converting compliant video.

I think that if the MPEG2 file is fine, the software should not transcode again.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong in TMPGEnc.

Under video I picked 3:2 pulldown when playback for encode mode. This automatically sets the frame rate to 23.976 fps (internally 29.97 fps). Is this correct? Do I have to do anything else (under the Advanced Tab)?

It seems like Ulead DVD Workshop and DVDit are both not working for me, so I perhaps I am doing something wrong in TMPGEnc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by wasimismail
    Under video I picked 3:2 pulldown when playback for encode mode. This automatically sets the frame rate to 23.976 fps (internally 29.97 fps). Is this correct?
    Yes.

Originally Posted by wasimismail
    Do I have to do anything else (under the Advanced Tab)?
    Video Source Type should be progressive. The frame size must be a valid DVD size, of course.

I import TMPGEnc Plus encoded progressive MPEG2 video with 3:2 pulldown flags into Ulead DVD MovieFactory. It doesn't reencode the files or complain about them. It also works fine with 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown flags from PAL to NTSC conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by RickA
    Greets,

Try DGPulldown ( http://neuron2.net/dgpulldown/dgpulldown.html ) on your mpeg-2's before putting them into the authoring software. May want to demux them first with DGIndex before you run DGPulldown on them. I have not used Ulead to author with, it should be able to support seperate audio and vid files as input. Personally, I'm partial to using TDA for my authoring and HCenc for the encoding.

Cheers,
    Rick
    When I run in DGPulldown, what option do I select, no converstion or 23.976 fps --> 29.97 fps?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you encoded for progressive 23.976fps and want to output interlaced 29.97fps, then you choose the default 23.976->29.97. That's the standard 3:2 pulldown.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono
    If you encoded for progressive 23.976fps and want to output interlaced 29.97fps, then you choose the default 23.976->29.97. That's the standard 3:2 pulldown.
    This is what was confusing me, in G-Spot it said my video had I/L (interlaced) in it, is that how it is after I encode with the 3:2 pulldown? Isn't the video going to be progressive on the DVD but with 3:2 pulldown? Or is it progressive but plays as interlaced?
    Quote Quote  
  8. GSpot says it's interlaced because it will playback interlaced when a player uses the 3:2 pulldown flags. It should report 23.976 pics/s, 29.97 frames/s, and 59.94 fields/s.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So Ulead DVD MovieFactory took in the encoded 3:2 pulldown MPEG2 from TMPGEnc Plus based on the setting we discussed earlier?

I am just amazed at why I am having trouble in Ulead DVD Worshop 2 which is more than 5x the price.

So I am not letting Ulead DW2 re-encode the MPEG2 but the DVD still has trouble finding the chapter markers and even the play all. If I burn with no menues and no chapter markers in Ulead DW2 it plays just fine.

I already invested in Roxio's DVDit it didn't fix the problem either, that DVD authoring sofware does not encode using 3:2 pulldown because after burning the progressive video, I see line marks (rather than smooth lines) whenever the screen moves up and down.

I am going to try to run the already encoded MPEG2 3:2 pulldown video in DGPulldown after demuxing in DGIndex. Then I will put the elementary video and corresponding audio file in Ulead DW2, author with menu and chapter/play all markers and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, my computer has to withstand 8 floors on its way down from the balcony. Or I may have to buy Ulead DVD MovieFactory and try what was mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by wasimismail
    So Ulead DVD MovieFactory took in the encoded 3:2 pulldown MPEG2 from TMPGEnc Plus based on the setting we discussed earlier?
    Yes. I've been using MovieFactory 4 for quite a while with no problems. An older version (2, I think it was) had problems chapter markers though.

I am just amazed at why I am having trouble in Ulead DVD Worshop 2 which is more than 5x the price.
    Which is why I originally said I'd be surprised if Workshop didn't support it properly!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hmmm...so the question is, did Ulead DVD MovieFactory come out before or after Ulead DVD Workshop. Maybe this was a problem with Ulead's products and they fixed it with the version you have since you said that an older version did not put in the chapters properly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. MovieFactory 4 came out about 4 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  13. OK, so I think that Ulead DVD Workshop 2 must've come out before that because I had it for a while now...

Do you think the demuxing and DGPulldown will fix the problem? Perhaps Ulead DW2 is spoiled and wants things to be easy !
    Quote Quote  
  14. Good news.

I just reviewed something again and wish to share some observations about Roxio DVDit Pro HD.

I took a progressive AVI file into it (23.976 fps).

When I went to properties of the video before authoring, it recognized that the video file is 23.976 fps which was a good sign.

I authored a DVD in Roxio with chapters and play all and menu. It plays fine on the DVD player and it seems like it applied the 3:2 pulldown fine.

Also, to be sure, I extracted a VOB file from the authored DVD and analyzed it in GSpot, it indicated that the VOB file is 23.976 pics/s, 29.97 fps, I/L (interlaced), and 3:2.

Looks like Roxio DVDit Pro HD does in fact support 3:2 pulldown in the sense that it will encode the progressive AVI file with 3:2 pulldown flags. When it recognizes the file as being progressive as I indicated above, it will encode accordingly.

Too bad Ulead can't encode a progressive AVI file with 3:2 pulldown because Ulead has a nicer interface than Roxio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No program should be re-encoding your video. You are doing something wrong, pure and simple, if you can't get DVD Workshop to accept your video, or if Roxio is re-encoding your video.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It's not re-encoding anything. If you read my post above, it is encoding a progressive AVI file like any authoring software should. I am *not* re-encoding MPEG2, I am encoding AVI to MPEG2 with 3:2 pulldown in the authoring software itself.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by wasimismail
    ...it is encoding a progressive AVI file like any authoring software should.
    You seem to have a mistaken impression as to what authoring programs are supposed to do. They author - that's it. They take already DVD compliant MPEG-2 video, audio, subtitles, and chapters and turn them into DVDs. They don't encode.

It's nice that you found something that works for you, but please don't kid yourself that anything with the Roxio name on it is anything more than a toy. It's another mediocre all-in-one solution.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono
    ...it is encoding a progressive AVI file like any authoring software should.
    You seem to have a mistaken impression as to what authoring programs are supposed to do. They author - that's it. They take already DVD compliant MPEG-2 video, audio, subtitles, and chapters and turn them into DVDs. They don't encode.

It's nice that you found something that works for you, but please don't kid yourself that anything with the Roxio name on it is anything more than a toy. It's another mediocre all-in-one solution.
    Thanks, but Ulead DVD Workshop 2 and Roxio DVDit Pro HD author *and* encode. They accept AVI files and convert them to MPEG2 as well as authoring and adding menues and so forth. I will admit that Ulead has a nicer and more professional interface. Of course, you can get into software packages that cost thousands of dollars, we're talking about software that is in the hundreds.

Bottom line is it works, Roxio actually detects progressive AVI and encodes with 3:2 pulldown. I have never seen an authoring software that encodes with the 3:2 pulldown flags. All I've been told is to encode in a separate software (usually free) and expect Ulead to accept it and it didn't.
    Quote Quote