VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to burn a couple of .mpg's and .avi's onto a Memorex dvd+r (4.7gb) and the freeware Nero program presents a popup message that says this disc isn't usable. That's the readers digest version. I had to wait about a half hour for it to tell me that. I then popped in a dvd+rw and the same message arose again. I've burnt with these disc before and never had a problem. Could someone help me out...please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. First things first.

Are you using Nero trial version, or free version?

Are you using VCDEasy for making DVD's?

Are you trying to burn a CD image to DVD media?

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/index.php?c=5
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nero trial version
    I selected vcd from nero smartstrart under favorites category
    I'm burning video clips around 10 minutes long
    Quote Quote  
  4. Now i've never personally used VCDEasy, but doesn't it only make VideoCD and SuperVCD?

The Image that it creates (Cue / Bin) is a CD image. CD's use a different file system than DVD's, i don't think you can burn output of VCDEasy to DVD media and expect it to work. The layout of the files on the disk is also different.

Now the latest Nero supposedly has the ability to make a hybrid disc, but since i'm still on Nero 5.5 i can't really help you with this. I'm not even sure that the function of that special disk is active in the trial version.

If your clips are only 10 minutes long, you can go with either VCD, or SVCD , but you have to burn it to a standard CD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can only make a VCD or SVCD with VCDEasy.

I selected vcd from nero smartstrart under favorites category
    Well, That's the problem. You are trying to burn a VCD to a DVD, which won't work. Instead use a CD-R or CD-RW to burn your VCD with no problem.

// Znooky
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used nero before to burn to a dvd+r. I have it right next to me so I know it's possible. I have an entire movie I wanted to burn that was hour thirty minutes long. Is there any other selection I can make to burn to this dvd+r disc? I don't understand how you could burn these clip and vids any other way. If you can't use a vcd with a dvd+r then what selection can you make to burn onto a dvd+r?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm so happy. I figured out my problem. Being the newbie that I am I missed the obvious and most simple solution...all I had to do was select the dvd icon. I was on the cd icon and didn't see the dvd option in the upper right hand corner. Thanks for all that tried to help but the solution was staring me in the face.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What version of Nero are you using. If I remember correctly the first version of 6(6.0.0) had a problem writing to +R/RW. Try updating to the latest version.
    Quote Quote