VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    They are multiple files with a .avi.001, .avi.002, .avi.003 etc etc.

Winrar doesn't recognize them. What app is used to unzip/unrar/join these types of video files?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They may still be .rar files, just messed up.

But you could make a copy of one of them and rename the extension to .avi or .mpg and see if a individual file would play. Or open it in Gspot. If so, maybe they are avi or mpgs and not .rar. Then you could use a program like filemerger and join them: http://home.versatel.nl/doesw000/FileMerger/

Make sure you have 'Hide extensions for known file types' unchecked in 'Folder Options' to be able to see and change the extensions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hank Kinsley
    They are multiple files with a .avi.001, .avi.002, .avi.003 etc etc.

Winrar doesn't recognize them. What app is used to unzip/unrar/join these types of video files?

Thanks
    I use HJSplit to join video files purely because it was the first program suggested to me for the purpose and I've been happy with it ever since.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you have PAR files you can use QuickPar. This will also fix corrupt files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try opening WinRar first, then loading the files into it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They're most likely HJSplit files as ntscuser says.

HJSplit is freeware and easily found with a quick search.

Once you've joined the files, be sure to check the filesize (should be the sum total of the all individual files). Unlike RAR files, you won't get an error message if a file is corrupted or missing. HJSplit will just join the files up to the point where the corrupted or missing file is.

It's also a good idea to check the file with g-spot. I've had files that seemed okay, but were actually corrupted (g-spot will note that the file is truncated.).

Oh...another thing...HJSplit doesn't compress the files in any way. So you can often do a quick check of the quality of the file (assuming it's a video) by renaming the first file (.001) to .avi or .mpg (usually doesn't work with wmv, qt or rm files) and previewing in MPC or VLC.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote