VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have two 8mm camcorder video cassettes that I recorded from more than 15 years ago. I have since sold/lost the camcorder and would like to get one again to capture the video to my computer. What do you guys recommend for that? Just any old 8mm camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Since you no longer have the camcorder that shot those tapes I would suggest you get a Hi8 or D8 (with Hi8 playback) camcorder with S-Video out and built in line TBC and DNR, D8 and Hi8 video heads are slightly better than the old Video8 heads so they track better due to their tight tolerances.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are 3 different types of 8mm video - 8mm, Hi8 and Digital 8. So first determine what you have. The cassettes are almost identical.

Digital 8 cameras are the closest to universally compatible, though they may struggle with non-SP speeds. That said, many folks here think it's a crime to use Digi8 to transfer analog recordings, plus you need firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It is not a crime but it is preferable to capture analog tapes losslessly avoiding the lossy DV format. From lossless you can compress to any modern efficient codec without getting stuck with an ancient format like DV with a very limited chroma resolution that is applied to a very limited chroma resolution of a noisy consumer video. Two wrongs doesn't make right.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry, I'm a total rookie at this stuff. So my cassette looks just like this.

I also have a Panasonic DMR-ES10 (which I believe has the mentioned TBC) that I was planning to use with my VHS player. Possible to use that in conjunction with the camcorder we determine is best?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes you can use the ES10 as an external TBC for frame timing correction, You would still need a line TBC inside the camcorder to re-align the scan lines and DNR to reduce noise from the picture, You also need two S-Video cables one from the camcorder to the ES10 and one from the ES10 out to the capture device.

The picture shows a Video8 cassette which can be played back by any 8mm format player with the exception of some low end Digital8 camcorders that don't have the capability to playback analog tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm not sure what a line TBC inside the camcorder is. A feature built into some of the camcorders? Would you mind providing a model or two as a suggestion for which one I should purchase? I'm not really wanting to spend a ton here as I only have two tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    TBC/DNR is a feature built into the camcorder, such camcorders can be had for less than $50 used depends where you live and where you get it from. I don't have model numbers on top of my head but just do your homework and consult user manuals.

Here is a good start:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/5825-capturing-8mm-tapes.html#post31250
    Last edited by dellsam34; 6th Nov 2019 at 18:48.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks! I'll check those out.
    Quote Quote