VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Simple way to convert DVD VOBs to MPGs for import to Imovie10?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found Cinematize among Mac OSX tools, but it appears the maker is out of business and only demo versions are available. Maybe DVDFab DVD Ripper can do DVD to mpg conversion?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Apr 2016 at 12:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Would there be some sort of passthru in HandBrake?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Nope.

Maybe mpeg streamclip, open all vobs, use file->save and it shouldn't reconvert. I think...I haven't used it for some years now.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 20th Apr 2016 at 13:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My mistake. DVDFab DVD Ripper doesn't have the option to convert to MPG, and the only file format option that allows using pass through is MKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Nope.

Maybe mpeg streamclip, open all vobs, use file->save and it shouldn't reconvert. I think...I haven't used it for some years now.
    I must have been thinking of WinFF, but that's not for Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try to clarify as I'm getting my info second hand.

The videos are in two formats, home made DVDs of amateur theatrical performances and others are similar subject VHS tapes converted to MPEG-2.
    No DRM involved.

They can be converted again to a MP4 format from either source with a PC version of AVIDemux which IMovie 10 seems to open.
    IMovie 10 doesn't seem to recognize either a MPEG-2 or a VOB.

There is a Mac version of AVIDemux that may be able to work and he could skip IMovie10 completely.
    That would be my recommendation, though I'm at a loss why IMovie 10 doesn't work. He's more comfortable with IMovie 10, though.

I believe the final format is something that will play on YouTube. The video editor just needs to be able to cut out sections for YT posting.
    Converting to MP4 from a MPEG/VOB then to a YouTube format seems a bit strange to me also.

So I may still need more clarification.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A musician friend of mine had the same problem with an OLD Mac. He could not work with my mpg files that I took straight from a DVD. He emailed me back saying that he had to pay extra to allow his Mac to decode mpeg2? Is that possible? Is that still the case? Diehard Mac people never seem to want to give a straight answer on that. Has a Mac, straight out of the box, ever NOT been able to handle mpeg2/DVD video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    ... I'm at a loss why IMovie 10 doesn't work. He's more comfortable with IMovie 10, though.

I believe the final format is something that will play on YouTube. The video editor just needs to be able to cut out sections for YT posting.
    Converting to MP4 from a MPEG/VOB then to a YouTube format seems a bit strange to me also.
    iMovie 10 only imports MP4, MOV, M4V files that are encoded with MPEG-4 (part 2)/AAC or H.264/AAC. Previous version of iMovie had more import options.

MPEG Streamclip can open VOB files, cut out sections, and save as MPEG, or convert to other formats. In order to display MPEG-2 content (i.e. work visually with it), or convert from that, it needs the $20 QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (a plug-in for the now almost obsolete QuickTime v7).

We both know there is no such thing as a “YouTube format”. YouTube accepts almost anything, and will convert everything anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Case. That does answer most of my questions. I haven't used a Mac in a long time, so was a bit lost.

I was wondering if you have tried the Mac version of AVIDemux?
    It seems to output MPEG-4 with the correct attributes for IMovie 10
    if he doesn't want to choose the MPEG Streamclip program and plugin.

I did mention to him that YT would likely reconvert, but his VHS based videos are not the greatest quality and a bit of editing,
    cropping and filtering would probably improve them, hence AVIDemux and skip IMovie 10.
    Last edited by redwudz; 21st Apr 2016 at 07:29.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still have Mpeg Streamclip installed on an old Powerbook running OSX 10.5.8 Leopard. It is a briliant tool for many kinds of editing and format conversion. The software has not been updated for some years, so I would not know where compatability with OSX ends? One needs the QT mpeg2 component installed in order to work with VOB and mpeg2 files (as mentioned above).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG Streamclip here too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote