VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone know if these are able to do analogue to dv pass thru? TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had a Sharp DV cam that would record analog, but no pass through. I don't think the new units even have analog recording anymore. As far as know, pass through is limited to some Sonys and Canons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well that sucks. I was thinking about getting the Sharp VLZ3U and using it like a capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, it does suck. Seems like pass through is getting harder to find. The lower end Canons still have it; the lower end Sonys do not. My current camcorder (a Panasonic) will record to tape from analog, but that makes for a time-consuming, two-step process. I could get a new DV cam, but my I like most of the features on my Panasonic. I'm thinking of a used digital 8 model that has pass through. This will do the real time conversion I seek and let me play my old Hi8 tapes as well. I do have to be careful as not all the D8s have passthrough. All the 2000 units did, but since then the entry level units have not. If you are looking for a reasonably priced DV with pass through, you could go for the Canon ZR's, but I think last year's models are better than the new ones. The current crop has no microphone jack and tape motor noise can be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My wife's Sharp camcorder has pass-through. It's a VLZ-N105 or something like that. It's about three years old, and I imagine if you can still find one it's got to be pretty inexpensive now.
    Quote Quote