VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, everyone! I'm rather new to this forum so please forgive me if there's some obvious answers to things I don't know, or if there's already a good enough answer or whatever.

In the future, I plan on getting the Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-Ray box set, but it only has Japanese subtitles. This led me to start a project where I edit the subtitles of the Netflix version with stuff from the original DVD releases, but that's not the point of this post.

You see, all I want to do is replace the Japanese subtitles with the English ones. I don't want to hard-code them onto the disc, rip the ISO, or export it as an mp4 or anything. I just want to replace one subtitle track. If anyone could help me out in this search for the right program, I'd be super super thankful!

(also, if anyone is actually interested in that subtitle project I'm working on, please reply about it and I'll get back to you on it)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, replacing or adding subtitles for Blu-ray is not an easy task. See https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=150511
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I would do 😎
    First obtain a subtitle in the language of your choice as a srt file
    Next using a program like makemkv make a mkv file of the main movie.
    Then add in the srt using mkvtoolnix and 🙏🏻 that it all is in sync. 😄 You may have to experiment with the subs.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if i understand right you want to replace the subtitle on a pressed bluray? Not going to happen physically.

2 options left
    like @netmask56 said

Or replace the subtitle in your player, although that is only possible with kodi afaik
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    So if i understand right you want to replace the subtitle on a pressed bluray? Not going to happen physically.

2 options left
    like @netmask56 said

Or replace the subtitle in your player, although that is only possible with kodi afaik
    I don't think Kodi's Blu-ray plug-in is capable of Blu-ray decryption. He'd still need to either rip the Blu-ray disc or run an on-the-fly decrypter like DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD in the background to play commercial Blu-ray discs with Kodi. (The Blu-ray plug-in is supposed to have limited menu support.)

I have also seen Media Player Classic Home Cinema recommended for playing external subs with decrypted Blu-ray, although I don't think it includes any support for menus. I would not be surprised if there are other free software players that can do the same
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LinkingHeartZ View Post
    Hello, everyone! I'm rather new to this forum so please forgive me if there's some obvious answers to things I don't know, or if there's already a good enough answer or whatever.

In the future, I plan on getting the Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu-Ray box set, but it only has Japanese subtitles. This led me to start a project where I edit the subtitles of the Netflix version with stuff from the original DVD releases, but that's not the point of this post.

You see, all I want to do is replace the Japanese subtitles with the English ones. I don't want to hard-code them onto the disc, rip the ISO, or export it as an mp4 or anything. I just want to replace one subtitle track. If anyone could help me out in this search for the right program, I'd be super super thankful!

(also, if anyone is actually interested in that subtitle project I'm working on, please reply about it and I'll get back to you on it)
    dvdfab can add subtitles to MKV videos - https://www.dvdfab.cn/resource/video/add-subtitles-to-mkv
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by LinkingHeartZ View Post

dvdfab can add subtitles to MKV videos - https://www.dvdfab.cn/resource/video/add-subtitles-to-mkv
    Since all we can do is give advice that the OP doesn't want, if the Blu-ray is ripped using MakeMKV trial/beta, MKVNoolNix can also create an MKV plus add/delete subtitles. This solution costs nothing,
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet
    Okay your right but that can be achieved with makemkv as a on the fly decrypter.
    Allthough i have to agree with you about menu support is poor or none existing
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet
    Okay your right but that can be achieved with makemkv as a on the fly decrypter.
    Allthough i have to agree with you about menu support is poor or none existing
    I think you are confused. I mentioned DVDFab Passkey in my reply to you and not MakeMKV because, unless things have changed in the past month, MakeMKV is not an on-the-fly decrypter (a program running in the background which is able to decrypt Blu-ray discs in real time so other software can play the video).

The only time I mentioned MakeMKV in this thread was in a reply to a post by october262. DVDFab's Blu-ray Ripper (recommended by october262) isn't an on-the-fly decrypter either but it can create an MKV from a Blu-ray disk just like MakeMKV is able to do.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet

I did not explained it enough i guess..

Makemkv can be used as on the fly decrypter, i use it on Linux (libreelec) That is the only option to be able to play bluray movies on Linux

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/14903-addon-makemkv/

I did not make this libreelec add on but compiled it for the current libreelec version as the maker moved on to a newer build environment.

It works great but as i said no menu or bdj menu support.

I just want to be helpful
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @usually_quiet

I did not explained it enough i guess..

Makemkv can be used as on the fly decrypter, i use it on Linux (libreelec) That is the only option to be able to play bluray movies on Linux

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/14903-addon-makemkv/

I did not make this libreelec add on but compiled it for the current libreelec version as the maker moved on to a newer build environment.

It works great but as i said no menu or bdj menu support.

I just want to be helpful
    OK, now I understand. I found this thread describing how to use dlls from MakeMKV to decrypt Blu-ray for playback with KODI's Windows version: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=189402
    Quote Quote