VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have been using a multiboot pc for a couple of years, I use my ubuntu for everything except enconding videos, which I still do through my WXP SP3.
    On XP I use following combination to convert videos:
    1- Download Xvid DVDrip...
    2- If 2 cds, I use VirtualdubMod to concat both parts and extract the AC3 audio
    3- I use the joined, or only, file with my TMPGENC (the old one yes...) to make it into a more proper DVD format without any sound track.
    4- If my audio in (2) is on mp3 cause there is only one file from the dvdrip I change it to AC3 with ffmpegui
    5- Finally I join all these with my srt subtitles on a nice DVD with DVDLab Pro.

Now I've been tired for some times to having to shutdown/restart/close all apps... just to do this kind of work, so my work gets delayed.

I was wondering if there are linux apps that can help me to get the job done like TMPGENC used to do that may also take advantage of my multicore processor. (right now it takes around 20 minutes to convert the xvid 700mb avi to my mpeg2 4 Gb file).

I think that to replace VirtualDub I may use avidemux and maybe for DVDLabPro I may use dvdauthor or qdvdauthor. But I am not sure the best choice to get quality video conversion with good performance.

Any suggestions?

Pardu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you have wine installed you can use my linux version of hcbatchgui. All it requires is wine and Avisynth (which works great in wine) -- the download contains everything else you will need. My gui uses hcenc {which is multithreaded} for the mpeg encoder and you have the choice of wavi/aften or ffmpeg for the audio encoding. You can then author your dvd using whatever authoring software you are familiar with (hint DVDLab Pro works in linux with wine for the most part).

I wrote the linux version of hcbatchgui in gtk. I haven't updated it in quite a while but am currently working on a re-write in a new language that should make it easier for me to offer distro based packages.

There are some true nix programs that convert avi to dvd but honestly I haven't found any that offer the quality that hcenc puts out.
    http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/hcbatchgui/hcbatchgui_gtk_linux_14_6_beta.tar.gz
    Last edited by freebird73717; 25th Jun 2010 at 23:25. Reason: added more info
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks man,

But I really wanna get rid of all of windows based stuff... also wine or any VM, (I don't even had it installed) any linux based or multi-platform apps to suggest?

Pardu.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Run Windows in a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare. It's a little slower but you won't have to reboot all the time.

Sorry, somehow missed your post immediately before this one.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Jun 2010 at 10:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well there is the all in one encoding/authoring program devede. Or you could do your encoding in winff and author with dvdstyler. Most nix video encoding apps are based off of ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And ffmpeg will be multi-core aware? and provide same kind of results as TMPGENC?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried DEVEDE, DVD authoring is really ugly...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pardu View Post
    And ffmpeg will be multi-core aware? and provide same kind of results as TMPGENC?
    Yes it is multithreaded. You can get decent results with it. I haven't used tmpgenc in years (from the old tmpgenc plus days) so I don't know how ffmpeg compares to tmpgenc now.

I have a question for you though. Apart from keeping your system fully nix, why do you not want to install wine so that you can use some windows apps? For me it's very useful to be able to run some windows apps in linux.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well there are a bunch of things...
    Ideology, Updates/Install system... It's a way of saying until you provide multiplatform support I won't use your apps and even so, Lets give a try to the guys developing for open source.

Pardu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok. I understand where you are coming from.

I think if you play with the settings in winff (name is misleading since it is multiplatform) you will get results that you are happy with.

I just couldn't get results on par with hcenc which is why I am glad that it works so well with wine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been tryng out winff... it's a real pain.... wonder if there is somthing more customizable and user friendly. I mean, If you wanna get to an expected final size of the video or something like that you have to manually edit the command line.... there should be an auto box to check... anything else I may use besides winff?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Avidemux maybe. It's more of an editor but it can encode avi to mpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux is the most likely option, but looks like I will have to listen to you and finally go with wine
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not trying to push you into using wine. It's just what has worked well for me and has allowed me to use some of my favorite windows programs in linux.

Here is a list of the linux tools here at vidoehelp
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/linux-video-tools
    As you can see there are not very many mpeg encoders listed.

If you do install wine give my hcbatchgui a try and let me know what you think. It's a nix based gui for some windows encoders.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just tried tmpgenc with wine, although it is a 30% slower than running it on windows it does the job great. Will try your afterwards and let you know...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok. Make sure to install avisynth as well.
    Quote Quote  
  17. TMPGEnc is one of the slowest MPEG 2 encoders and produces sub-par output. AviSynth plus HcEnc will be much faster and give better output.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Why not save yourself all this pain and get either a divx capable dVd Player or a hard drive based media player like the WDTV. No conversion required at all thus saving yourself a lot of hassle, PLUS you can burn three or more files to one disc thereby saving the cost of two blank DVD's. Also not converting means your PC can be used less, saving more electricity.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are completely right I don't know why I do it but I do. I do have a MediaCenter with movies on divx/xvid and x264 and also a dvd player capable, but yet I burn them this way.... I can not see why but I still do that. I supposed I like to be able to borrow the movie to someone with a standard dvd player... do not try to find my reasons cause will find no logic.
    Quote Quote