VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What type of batteries do you use the most?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What sort of batteries do you use the most?

I still mostly buy the single use standard batteries for my remote controls
    I guess I spend $50 a year just on standard batteries as most of my stuff comes with inbuilt or rechargable batteries.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everything except option 1 and the last one ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Energizer Lithium e2 batteries.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing beats dollar store batteries. In the long haul, it's cheaper than a rechargeable or the so-called "long life" lithiums. Power is power, one does not work any better than the other. You can often get a 40-pack of AA batteries for $10, and those last almost as long the Lithiums do.

My dSLR requires a special Nikon rechargeable, runs $100 each, and they only last a few hundred shots each. Real pain in the butt when you travel.

I also prefer "normal" batteries, the AA/AAA/C/D/9V cells. Those 123 and 23 and others are ridiculously expensive ($5 each) and last a pitifully short amount of time. I hate them with a passion. Rip off. I refuse to buy a camera (or anything else) that uses those crappy little money-eating monsters.

Batteries need to be quick cells. While some "long life" batteries may last longer, they are so weak near the end of that lifespan, that they may as well just be dead anyway. I cannot stand around for 10 seconds for the flash to recharge, I need it 2-3 times in a row, instant recharges.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ni-mh or li-ion
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ni-mh. Are NiCads even sold today?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Shoot, they are toxic waste in Calif these days. So Recharables are slightly better. Who wants to store toxic waste at home?

I use alkalines for remotes, flashlights & LCD clocks. Rechargies don't put out enough voltage for LCD's & drain over time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I usually go to the dollar store & buy them completely out for about $30.00.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. " I use a special recharge unit for standard batteries "
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't know it. What's that? I though we coudn't recharge standard batteries.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Anything but Everdeady alkalines. I used to get a year out of a set of Eveready alkalines in my remotes, now I get 3-4 months. I don't know how they stay in business. The 1 year outdated Panasonic heavy duty batteries I got dirt cheap on ebay outlived Eveready alkalines dated 2009. You need an option for NiMH rechargebales which have pretty much replaced NiCd since they don't suffer from memory retention.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by AngusMacGyver
    " I use a special recharge unit for standard batteries "
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't know it. What's that? I though we coudn't recharge standard batteries.
    Thanks.
    Yes you can recharge carbon-zinc batteries but the charge doesn't last long,DO NOT RECHARGE ALKALINE BATTERIES.
    Ni-Cd batteries are being phased out because they are toxic.
    Ni-MH hold a charge longer,don't have a "memory" and are are less toxic.
    Li-Ion last the longest but are the most expensive.

I also go to the Dollar Store and load up on alkalines,I used to use Ni-CAD's but they don't hold a charge and they always leak.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Maha +Rayovac rechagable battteries, for camera

for clocks,remote,smoke detector,,,I use Alkalines
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It all depends on what the device calls for. I seem to go thru alot of AAs.(Maybe the most common in toys and remotes at my house) 9Vs last a loooong time it seems. D cells in my MagLites are just there for the weight added to the Billy Club purpose. (You can't have kids and a working flashlight, it's physics or something)

Camcorder, still cam, cell, cordless phone, Q-beam and a few other things have rechargables that stay in the device while the cordless tools have swapable batteries and remote chargers.

The notebook shouldn't have even come with a battery. It will stay in standby for a couple of days, but turn on the cell card or GPS or pop in a DVD without the charger hooked up and I doubt that it gets an hour. I got a cheap inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter so I can use the GPS on the notebook and keep my cell phone charged (I went from like 12 phone chargers to one, each one being cheaper made than the one before. Go figure)

Just recently I had a set of batteries leak inside of a plumb laser and they ruined a $600 tool. Now I only have a peice of crap 3 or 4 way plumb laser that gives me a 1/2" dot at like 20'. (I really wanted a good 5 way that puts out a nice 3/32 dot at a couple of hundred feet) I can use a 32 oz. plumb bob just as fast as most of the morons that work for me can use the laser and the plumb bob don't need no damb batteries!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Energizer NiMh Rechargeable for my Digital Camera and my daughter's toys.

Dollar Store for my remotes.

EDIT:

And yeah, you need an option fot NiMh Rechargeables.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use the energizer Nimh also I have to remind myself to go recharge some today
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    Just recently I had a set of batteries leak inside of a plumb laser and they ruined a $600 tool. Now I only have a peice of crap 3 or 4 way plumb laser that gives me a 1/2" dot at like 20'. (I really wanted a good 5 way that puts out a nice 3/32 dot at a couple of hundred feet) I can use a 32 oz. plumb bob just as fast as most of the morons that work for me can use the laser and the plumb bob don't need no damb batteries!
    You should be able to get the battery manufacterer to replace any device ruined by their batteries. I've done it before, it was only a Maglite flashlight though, not a $600 plumb laser.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    My dSLR requires a special Nikon rechargeable, runs $100 each, and they only last a few hundred shots each. Real pain in the butt when you travel.
    Wow...my EN-EL3 lasts forever on a charge...and I have the Chinese one that was recalled. I'm not sending mine back until after my vacation at the end of the month.
    I'm thinking of just keeping it anyway...the reported overheating only happens in the charger and only 5 cases of overheating have been reported....so says Nikon....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ni-MH.....Rechargeables ..... 2500mah ...Fantastic for my digi camera. 4 AA`s charged up overnight last all next day, 120+ snaps with my Canon Powershot, same proccess day after day on holiday as required. Took 1000 photo`s on holiday this year, cheapest power source ever used and reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    12V sealed lead/acids - 16 a day wired in pairs in series for 24V
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Standard durcells for remote controls an such.
    Low power consumption long replacement interval. (months)
    Led flashlights, cordless phones, mp3 player or anything that requires frequent replacement/recharge get 2500mah AA and 1000mah AAA Ni-MH batteries.
    They work great and I keep several sets charged and handy for Hurricane season.
    they works expecially great for the lumiled LED flashlights with the Moon mode that runs on so little power the self sustaining charge on them is almost enough to keep it lit.
    Seems like trickle/self recharge voltage is almost enough to keep minimal ambient light which is better than NO LIGHT.
    sorry to ramble, guess I got carried away
    Motherboard problems, not intermittant anymore!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Wow...my EN-EL3 lasts forever on a charge...and I have the Chinese one that was recalled. I'm not sending mine back until after my vacation at the end of the month.
    I'm thinking of just keeping it anyway...the reported overheating only happens in the charger and only 5 cases of overheating have been reported....so says Nikon....
    If depends on what you're doing. Continous fps shooting really kills them. I shoot a lot of sports and wildlife and use c-fps quite a bit. Uncompressed images too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mostly AAA alkaline, whatever's on sale, for my bicycle tail light, I've got a lead-acid headlight, love it.

I"ve got a stack of nimh AA batteries for a couple of different digital cameras, I only buy cameras that'll use AA cells (Canon and Fuji) because I like being able to swap 'em out instantly as needed when traveling. They're cheap, they recharge fast, and obviously you can use 'em in more things than cameras. Don't like 'em for remotes, though, they don't have quite the voltage for some of my stuff. Also nimh or nicad batteries (AA) work much better in my old flash units for my 35mm SLR cameras, they'll recharge the thyristor much faster than alkaline's will. They also "die" faster, in that they'll keep that flash recharging until suddenly they just go "bleaahhhh," but then of course, you gotta keep spares!

For my six cars, it's Sears Diehards all the way -- they'll start in any condition, they last forever, and when they finally do go, you can get 'em swapped at your local Sears with a good trade in rate.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Until they come out with Li-Ion in AA or D size, mostly non-rechargeable alkaline.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is my setup. I use to buy the Energizer AA/AAA Nimh. They were pretty good. I learned about this battery about 4 months ago. "Eneloop" They will hold their charge for up to a year with a loss of 15%. I have bought a few they were about 13$ US for a pack of 4 and there is no need to change chargers. They will accept the current NiMh chargers, but no guarantees from the manufacturers of eneloop.
    Someone mentioned that Alkalines cannot be charged, I use the charger below (pure energy) that actually chargers alkalines/NiCad/Nimh and is also a smart charger turns off when battery is fully charged. I have been using other brand names like duracell and panasonic alkaline batteries and they charge fairly well. I think and I've read the alkalines cannot be charged as much as a NiMh. I have one on it's 5 charge and it seems to be okay in my clocks.
    My last thing is the battery adapters, I only have the AA to C adapters, AA do not last very long. I believe the C batteries carry a current of 4 amps or more, but it's great in a pinch. I'll be looking around for the 2AA to D adapter soon. -garman

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Standard non-rechargeable batteries

2. Standard NiCad / Ni-Mh rechargable batteries
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A fresh alkaline D cell is good for maybe 15 amp-hours - about 5 mA i think max. .. no AAAA through D cell can put out 4 amps i'm pretty sure ... as they would be deadly just handling them ...

most 9 volt batteries are now made up of AAAA batteries (open one up)... AAAA are the most efficient for their size - though no raving hell on overall life .. some china made AA are really AAA inside ..

panasonic is the worlds largest battery maker ... but VARTA batteries are the best for quality - and the only company that makes a true 9 volt battery , as well as 1.5 output instead of the more common 1.33-1.4 ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    most 9 volt batteries are now made up of AAAA batteries (open one up)
    Another trick the rechargeable battery vendors are fond of is putting a "C" cell inside of a "D" body. And they charge more for it, of course :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bustards !!
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote