VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello to everyone! As my title says, yes I am newb when it comes to backing up my blu rays to BD-R's. I recently bought a Pioneer BDR-2208 15X burner and installed it in my PC. Also bought a spindle of 25g Optical Quantum BD-R's. I successfully installed the burner, used the trial version of the latest Nero to decrypt and burn a movie onto a bd-r. The problem, it isn't being recognized in any blu ray player I have! They play perfect in the drive in my PC but not on any other player at all, and I have tested them on about 6 different home theater players. My question/problem is, am I doing something wrong here? Is it the media? Is there some reason they won't play on any other player beside my PC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ed
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmm, didn't know nero could decrypt, perhaps you are not using that word correctly.
    First, use either Anydvd, DVDFab or MakeMKV to decrypt and rip to hard drive.

Most of us recommend ImGBurn to write/burn to disc.
    Perhaps you are using nero for more than writing to disc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You say you used Nero to decrypt the movies? You are starting with commercially made Blu-ray movies that have AACS encryption?

As far as I am aware, Nero has no decryption capabilities at all. Here is a quote from their 2014 manual for Nero Recode: Nero Recode is a powerful application for ripping non-copy protected DVD videos, Blu-ray videos and AVCHD, as well as converting video files.

To decrypt and rip commercial movies to the hard drive, you would need something like AnyDVD HD or DVDFab, or MakeMKV. (Beaten to the punch by Steve) I would suggest using one of those three programs for decryption, then BD Rebuilder to compress any movies that won't fit onto 25gb size blank discs. Burn with ImgBurn using the UDF 2.5 file system.

And most of us would recommend other blank discs. FTI Falcon sold under the Smart Blu brand or Verbatim are easy enough to find. Panasonic would be better but is harder to get in the US.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies....so I guess Nero is burning an undecrypted movie file onto the disc that is why they just keep stuck "Loading" in the blu ray players. But they do play properly in my drive on my pc. My mistake, I thought Nero was a one stop shop when it came to decrypting and burning for Blu Ray, but I do see what you posted about Nero from their 2014 manual. Hopefully that is the problem, and I can figure out how to navigate through the programs you all recommended and be successful. I used to back up my commercial DVD's successfully several years ago, but I imagine Blu Ray is a bit tougher. I ruined about 5 discs, but, they weren't that expensive thankfully. I will try what you recommended and let you know of my experience...Thanks again! Any other thoughts or helpful hints possibly?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, there is more new things to learn when working with BD.
    The first step, which isn't that hard is to correctly copy the files to your hard drive with either Anydvd or Dvdfab or makemkv.

If you plan on using BDRebuilder, then pay attention to the instructions on the other programs that need to be installed along with it.
    It may be helpful to consult this guide here:
    http://club.myce.com/f32/bd-rebuilder-guide-313227/

Many of us have decided to bypass burning back to disc and simply play the BD movie file from hard drive.
    Since size isn't a problem doing it this way, we simply prepare the file usually making sure there is only
    one m2ts file or rewrap the file to MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the information. I am going to give this a shot, with the instructions for the programs I think I can do this. If I run into problems I along the way, I will drop a line and hopefully you can tell me what I did wrong. Very much appreciated!

One more thing I'd like to ask...What blu ray program do you recommend for watching your back ups or commercial blu ray movies on your pc? I'm sure there are MANY out there, would just like to know your preferences.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ed08181973 View Post
    ...What blu ray program do you recommend for watching your back ups or commercial blu ray movies on your pc? I'm sure there are MANY out there, would just like to know your preferences.
    The answer depends on whether or not you back up to Blu-Ray structure or to a file like MKV.

For Blu-Ray, there's TMT, PowerDVD, DVDFab Media Player, and WinDVD. In that order, IMO, TMT being the best of the lot and the most expensive. All are payware, and capable of navigating Blu-Ray menus. I'm currently using DVDFab Media Player simply because I got it free on giveawayoftheday. TME's Digital Theater (essentially a version of TMT) won't work on my new X64 build. PowerDVD is often bundled with retail Blu-Ray burners, though it's not the full version.

If you re-package to, say, MKV, almost anything goes and you have many freeware choices. Some free software players are: MPC-HC, PotPlayer, Splash, VLC, et. al. I confess I've come round to the view expressed by Steve(MS) above. Although I still do a movie-only backup to BD25 for the living room TV and BD player, for our home theater I play MKVs from HTPC using MPC-BE. (Our two newest TVs will also play 1080p MKVs from external hard drive via the TV's internal media player. A separate hardware media player can do the same thing, and usually better.)

You should know that *some* newer Blu-Ray releases have Cinavia. BD standalones designed and accepted by the BDA after 2/12 (if memory serves) must be capable of implementing Cinavia and will shut down video playback when detected on a backup. And if I'm not mistaken, PowerDVD will respect Cinavia as well, though I believe there's a workaround for that. Just another reason for backing up your movies to a file instead. I always despised menus anyway.

I use Ripbot to re-encode and re-package my Blu-Rays to MKV. BDRB, as Kerry notes above, is also a good choice and can output to Blu-Ray or MKV. Or convert them directly with no re-encoding using MakeMKV (free while it's still in beta).

Good luck.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 25th Dec 2013 at 06:46.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wow, I didn't realize this process was going to be so difficult...I used MakeMkv to decrypt movies on two separate occasions, the process seemed to work, but now, I can't even find where those movies are stored on my hard drive. I appreciate everyone's help, but I think I need to find a friend or someone to show me in person the process once or twice and then I would probably be good with it...now I just keep adding blu ray files to my hard drive taking up lots of space and not getting anything accomplished! lol When I used to backup my dvd's, it was just one click using dvd decryptor, then open up my burning software and it was done in a short time. This is WAY more involved, I think a little too much for me!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello Everyone!

Is it possible for someone to choose one method (whichever programs need to be used) and prepare a step by step walk thru of how to start off with one of my commercial blu rays, remove the copy protection, then burn it to a BD-R for use on my stand alone blu ray players? I know you all listed a bunch of programs that are used, however, Im still unable to do it properly after a lot of time spent trying. It sucks to have a good BR writer, plenty of blank media, and then not to be able to put it to use! lol

Im just so lost when it comes to figuring this out. Regular DVD was a walk in the park compared to Blu!

Thanks!

Ed
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Here is the process I use, it isn't the only one.

Assuming you want to spend a fair amount of money on a decryption program that is updated often, you start with AnyDVD HD. With the program running, put your Blu-ray movie in the drive, let AnyDVD HD analyze the disc, then right click on the fox icon at the bottom right in the tray area of your desktop. Right clicking brings up some options, one of which is Rip Video DVD to Harddisk (this works for blu ray as well as dvds). Rip the entire disc to the hard drive this way.

If you prefer to use a free decryption program like MakeMKV, you load the disc, start the program and let the program analyze the encryption. Then click on File-->Backup to get the entire movie on the hard drive.

Be aware that MakeMKV may not be updated as fast as the commercial programs, so if it doesn't work on a very new release, you'll either have to use a different decrypter or wait for a new version of the program to be released. You also need to put new beta keys in each month to keep using the program for free. The beta keys are available at the MakeMKV forum.

So the hard part is done. Now you need to use BD Rebuilder. Read my guide for setting it up and using it: http://club.myce.com/f32/bd-rebuilder-guide-313227/
    A short hand version of the guide would be...import the movie into BD Rebuilder, decide which mode you want (full movie or main movie only), set Encoder to use a two pass variable bitrate encoding method or a one pass CRF encode, start the encoding process and go do something else for a few hours.
    Burn the output from BD Rebuilder using ImgBurn and the 2.5 UDF file system, and burn at a moderate speed...not full speed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I generally use a write speed of 4X for single layer 25GB blu-rays.
    Quote Quote  
  12. @Kerry56 Thank You so much! I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to write it all out to me. I think I should be good now! Just a few other quick questions if you don't mind... I am now using Optical Quantum 1-4X speed BD-R's...I bought them from Newegg.com when I bought my burner as they were slightly less than one dollar per disc. Are they a decent brand? (I had never heard of them before, and I have done a lot of regular DVD backing up thru the years and had used many different brands) I read somewhere that a lot of people use Panasonic, but those are very expensive even when buying a spindle. What brand do you suggest? I'm also interested in buying some 50G BD-R's, are they worth the investment if I only want to just burn the main movie, I don't care about menus and extras. I DO care a lot about picture quality and the audio codecs because I have a good home theater.

Thanks again for the info! I'll let you know how I make out with your instructions!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    From what I've read about the Optical Quantum discs, they vary in quality too much to rely on them. Stick with Verbatim (NOT the LTH variety of Verbatim, just the regular inorganic version). Here is an example from Amazon.com of the ones to get.

Panasonic Blu-ray are generally held to be the best available, but you are right about their cost here in the US.

I've used FTI Falcon discs with great success. They can be found under the Smart Blu brand at Media Mega Mall.

50gb discs are not worth the cost if you are only doing main movie backups. Your copies to 25gb will be very good. And I am not certain which DL Blu-ray to recommend anymore. There have just been too many reports of poor results, even using some of the best discs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @Kerry56 I was able to successfully backup several of my Blu Ray's....Thank you very much for all the info!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using the Optical Quantum discs for about 2 years, Probably burned around 200 disks with no problem using a LG burner so I would recommend them.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Optical Quantum results:
    http://club.myce.com/f179/philips-bd-r-323117/
    http://club.myce.com/f33/has-anyone-used-brand-optical-quantum-25gb-4x-bd-r-331146/
    http://club.myce.com/f33/first-philipr04-optical-quantum-burn-scan-334147/

You'll find some other brands that use the Philips mid code in some of those threads, but the Philips mid codes are a catch-all for lots of mediocre to poor quality discs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. So far so good, not one coaster, I'm 10 for 10. Maybe I got a lucky spindle! I wish they were more consistent, seems like hit or miss. Can't beat the price though!
    Quote Quote