VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I am struggling to capture my VHS collection to VCD.
    I am using the PCTV Rave card. Unfortunately, I am not able to capture without problems (maybe the spec of my PC doesn't allow me to do so).
    Some friends of mine told me that I have to buy hardware MPEG encoder (either MPEG1 or MPEG2 (SVCD)).
    I took a look at capture card section of this site and mentioned that most of the cards (like Dazzle DVC) claim hardware encoding, but they're actually use software codec.

Would you be so please to give an advice about hardware codecs?

BTW, this is the spec of my machine:
    P3-450, 128M, Banshee, 70GB (10+60), PCTV Rave, Live!.

Thanks,
    TheRookie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For hardware encoders, if they're not about $1K+, then it's probably not worth getting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't mind.
    Could you point on some?

Cheers,
    TheRookie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure... Matrox RT2000, Pinnacle DC-1000/2000. I've seen video captured via the DC1000 and it is EXCELLENT quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Actually, the Dazzle DVC II is a hardware encoder/decoder card. As a consumer product, you get half decent SVCD out of it. if your pc is AMD/VIA may be trouble.
    please read thread
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=49085&forum=2&13

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Iview on 2001-07-05 03:31:13 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello,

The DVCII has a single pipe C-Cube (http://www.c-cube.com/) that does encoding at capture-time only. Decoding (aka playback) and editing is done through software.

The RT2x00 is a dual pipe C-Cube that does encoding at capture and editing. Decoding is done through software.

To get hardware decoding you need a card like the Dxr3 or Hollywood+. Other options are to have a video card with hardware assist (ex: ATI and NVidia GeForce).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks everybody. It is very useful info.

TheRookie
    Quote Quote