VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have read the "What is SVCD" of this website here on the left, but I have some questions.
    In the SVCD file/folder structure there is a CD-i folder, but SVCDs can't play by the CD-i players, I think, so also if you put CD-i application it's impossible (even for speed problems: SVCD 2X; CD-DA, VCD, CD-i 1X, it's for this that VCD doesn't support VBR).
    And there is also a CD-DA folder, but from Philips point of view there isn't any CD-DA folder, it's just optional for VCD.
    More infos here:http://www.licensing.philips.com/includes/download.php?id=2698&filename=2450.pdf.
    I don't want to make controversies, I just want to know the truth !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan
    I have some questions.
    OK, and those are: ?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You win the prize! That information has been on there for years, and you are the 1st one to question it--but you're right.

VCD has CDI folder and files, and (optional) CDDA folder and files, but SVCD has neither. KARAOKE folder and files would also be optional in VCD, but not existent in SVCD.

Now, since you can always add files and folders to the non-application-specific part of the ISO track (track 1), there is nothing preventing you from including such files as the above, even though they won't be interpreted correctly by a SVCD-specific player. So, it doesn't "break" the compatibility.
    What you DON'T want is actual subsequent Redbook Audio tracks after your SVCD MPEG video tracks--that might (should) break compatibility.

Now, whether or not the "What is" section is updated/corrected is another matter, one for Baldrick when he has the time, I'd guess.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CD-I is just a multimedia system and is indeed included within the SVCD specs. Just like with DVDs, a CD-I player can be either a hardware or a software one. There are plenty of software players that support CD-I application commands included in either a VCD or a SVCD. I used to make SVCDs with CD-I hotspots (click with mouse) which I played in WinDVD. They worked great.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan
    In the SVCD file/folder structure there is a CD-i folder, but SVCDs can't play by the CD-i players, I think, so also if you put CD-i application it's impossible
    The CD-i folder is not used for SVCD's because CD-i players doesn't support playing SVCD's.

vcd4ever.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The CD-i folder is not used for SVCD's because CD-i players doesn't support playing SVCD's.
    Of course, that's because it's useless to put CD-i application in a SVCD, I really don't understand what adam is writing about.
    CD-I is just a multimedia system and is indeed included within the SVCD specs. Just like with DVDs, a CD-I player can be either a hardware or a software one. There are plenty of software players that support CD-I application commands included in either a VCD or a SVCD. I used to make SVCDs with CD-I hotspots (click with mouse) which I played in WinDVD. They worked great.
    Are there some utilities in use CD-i application? What can you do with them on a PC? I use Power DVD and it doesn't support CD-i app., I will try WinDVD in the future.
    Now, since you can always add files and folders to the non-application-specific part of the ISO track (track 1), there is nothing preventing you from including such files as the above, even though they won't be interpreted correctly by a SVCD-specific player. So, it doesn't "break" the compatibility.
    That's right, but both the CD-i application and CD-DA tracks (in the VCD of Philips there are also a DAT file for each CD-DA track, stored in the CD-DA folder, if you use to put them with Fireburner you won't make this, and it's not fully compliant, even if you won't have any compatibilty problem)
    aren't parts of the SVCD file/folder system.
    An upgrade of the website it's important for me (but always when Baldrick have some time to make it).
    Cheers!
    P.S.:
    OK, and those are: ?
    Those are about this definition matter, but I have forgot to make them explicitly !
    "I am right or not", this was the question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You win the prize! That information has been on there for years, and you are the 1st one to question it--but you're right.
    What is the prize?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hyper Shinchan I thought my post was pretty clear. CD-I is a multimedia standard that encompasses more than just the discs and the HARDWARE players. There is nothing preventing software developers from making software CD-I players, or players which support CD-I functions. A CD-I player is nothing more than a low level pc with custom software just for CD-I playback. WinDVD appears to play CD-I discs just fine, including SVCDs with CD-I functions included on them.

I can author hotspot buttons, which I believe are CD-I functions, into a SVCD using CeQuadrats VideoPack4 and I can play them back and use them in WinDVD. The files that are added when I author these hotspots, are stored in the CD-I directory. I don't know if this disc is still SVCD compliant or not, but it can be done and it works just fine.

Once again, hotspot buttons are ones that you can click with the mouse or scroll through with the arrow buttons and select with the enter key. They function exactly like the buttons do on a DVD player which provides much more functionality than normal SVCD selections. You can make the buttons highlight or animate when you either hover over them or click them. You can author hotspot buttons on a VCD and play them back via a hardware CD-I player or in a software player that supports CD-I functions, and you can author them into a SVCD and play them on a SOFTWARE player that supports CD-I functions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    adam,

thanks. I'm going to have to go back and look at Videopak4. Actually, the VCD 2.0 (and SVCD) spec provides for their own hotspots, and these can be utilized in VCDImager (have to code the text by hand though). I have done this a number of times and it works well on software players.
    New to me, though, is the ability (in Vpak4) to have highlighting/animation. It must have something to do with those extra CD-I files, as the standard VCD hotspots are included in the PBC files ("PSD.VCD" in VCD folder and "PSD_X.VCD" in EXT folder).

Are there any more enhanced CD-I type functions that you know and can make use of?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No that's all that I know of. I've played with a CD-I player before but I don't even know of any other features that they would support.

Its been a very long time since I used Videopack 4.0 but I distinctly remember a rainbow effect that you can set when you select a button, where multiple colors move across the highlight. Its more than I've even seen on a DVD.

The hotspots that you add with xml scripting are very limited as I'm sure you know.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well your CD-i application are useful (but I make hotspots with Nero Vision express, and the Philips Video CD Toolkit, but they work only on sioftware player), but it's not compatible with an hardware CD-i player, even if I haven't seen one of them, effectivly a low level PC, but I've never heard of software use of CD-i (I think you are the only one to use them, adam).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan
    Well your CD-i application are useful (but I make hotspots with Nero Vision express, and the Philips Video CD Toolkit, but they work only on sioftware player), but it's not compatible with an hardware CD-i player, even if I haven't seen one of them, effectivly a low level PC, but I've never heard of software use of CD-i (I think you are the only one to use them, adam).
    I have a hardware CD-i player and the only program that I trust when it comes to author VCD's that are 100% compliant is philips videocd toolkit. The main reason why hotspots doesn't work on a hardware CD-i player is because the VCD authoring program has included a CD-i app that doesn't support hotspots.

This problem can be fixed by replacing the CD-i app with a CD-i app that supports hotspots, but the most annoying thing is that most VCD authoring programs doesn't allow you to replace the CD-i app.

Another annoying thing is that some VCD authoring programs that actually allows you to replace the CD-i app doesn't author VCD's with working hotspots even after replacing the CD-i app to a CD-i app that supports hotspots.

I know that philips videocd toolkit, vcdeasy (after adding the hotspots manually) and videopack 5 (after replacing the CD-i app) authors VCD's with working hotspots on a hardware CD-i player.

vcd4ever.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I know that philips videocd toolkit, vcdeasy (after adding the hotspots manually) and videopack 5 (after replacing the CD-i app) authors VCD's with working hotspots on a hardware CD-i player.
    But there are very few people that have an CD-i player, even if I put the CD-i app. in order to keep the largest compatibilty.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well your CD-i application are useful... but it's not compatible with an hardware CD-i player.
    No but unless I'm mistaken you were just asking why the directory is there. Well, its there because you CAN use it via a software player. Or at least that's one theory.

Actually after reading through the SVCD IEC specs, they fully incorporate all of the VCD specs. So I think that's why the directory is part of the specs, just because VCD and all of its aspects are included as a subset of SVCD. But since there is no hardware capability for the directory it is just optional as opposed to being mandatory in the VCD specs.

I've never heard of software use of CD-i
    Well sure. All of the better CD-I authoring applications include emulators for testing purposes. Most of these packages are available for Mac but many for pc too. So obviously pc software can be made to recognize such features, and apparantly some software players already do. I know WinDVD does. When I get some time I'll use VideoPack 4 to add one of those animated hotspot buttons I talked about. Then you can use that for testing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan
    But there are very few people that have an CD-i player, even if I put the CD-i app. in order to keep the largest compatibilty.
    Yes, but an VCD that has been authored without including any CD-i app will not play at all in an CD-i player.

vcd4ever.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Wll, in a SVCD you can put any folder or file that you want, but CD-i isn't a specification of SVCD, and for me it's pretty useless. For the VCD is mandatory to put the CD-i app., at least Philips say it, however I do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is optional in the specs, therefore yes it is indeed a part of the SVCD specifications. Lots of things are only optional, like soft encoded subs for example. If you'd like to purchase the IEC specifications you can confirm this for yourself. I agree this directory is pretty useless but it is still a part of the format.
    Quote Quote