VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i got a dvd, with a file size of 5gb.
    I just want the movie in it, and probably bring it down to around 700mb.
    How do i do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDShrink in re-author mode ,copy main movie only..Now install AutoGK and convert your main flick to a 700mb avi file.....
    If Shrink won't rip your DVD,then you'll need a new ripper, I use DVDFab Patinum or try the free DVDFab HD decrypter...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good advice on using DVDShrink and then AutoGK. Just wanted to add, when ripping Main Movie only using DVDShrink in Reauthor mode, if the compression is less than 100%, change it to No Compression in order to get 100% quality on your rip from DVD. Use AutoGK to reencode and you'll have less loss in video quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is a recent commercial film then use DVD Fab HD Decrypter instead of DVD Shrink. You can still do a movie only rip. Set the target size to DVD9 to keep full quality.

Frankly, unless you are converting trying to make it into piracy, there is no point converting to 700MB avi files unless quality is very low down on your list or the running time is around 60 minutes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you can also install ANY DVD (its not free) to "real time" defeat things that might stop you. Then you can actually skip the rip step and get the movie directly from the DVD to AVI. its risky though if its dirty of has a problem and it "fails" partway through you have to start from scratch.

The suggestion of dvd shrink (any dvd works fine in combo with shrink) t rip just the movie works. (9 out of 10 movies if you rip JUST the movie AND strip out the beginning and ending credits will fit on a dvd5 with ZERO compression ie 100% (make sure to get rid of extraneous audio and subs etc..)

DVD fab is also nice (make sure anydvd is not running when you run fab) it also has a get jut main movie option. It can also encode to Divx etc.. but its unreliable (hang a lot) and very very slow.
    Quote Quote