VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get an error about it being copy protected.

I have attempted to copy the dvr-ms file to my laptop and use VSO's convertXtoDVD but it also gets an error.

I have read in other forums that DVDfab doesnt support DVR-ms files. Tunebite platinum is the only thing I heard that would accept DVR-MS files, but it costs $50 and heard no reviews about it. Plus it would just add a step to the process: Record a show in MCE, transfer it to my laptop over network, convert using tunebite, convert to dvd using ConvertXtoDVD. Its seems like a long process for simply wanting to make a backup copy of show...I mean hasnt MS heard of VHS tapes being used for recorded shows or Tivo's letting you copy shows to a DVD burner?

I know this is a completely off topic question, but its related to my frustration with this DRM crap:
    I am seriously considering switching from MCE to beyondTV or sageTV, but I want to make sure of a couple things:
    HDTV compliance, no more DRM crap like MCE, and streaming to media extenders like xbox 360. which other platform would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have tmpgenc dvd author it can strip the dvr file to a mpg that you can edit and burn.

Also dvrmstoolbox can do it and mcebuddy.

To stream to other appliances you should look into Tversity if you want to step away from MCE. But the 360 will connect to MCE though it is a bit of a chore to work on.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know I currently have Transcode360 doing the streaming of non-supported formats, but I have heard of TVeristy and might switch.

I have heard that dvrmstoolbox is buggy for vista so I am staying away from that. I will look into mcebuddy.

Is TMPGENC dvd author an allaround good program for creation of DVD's (would it replace my current VSO convertxtoDVD?). My problem is that I have so many programs that do specific things that it bogs down the system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TDA is quite good. It even has an internal transcoder to shrink programs prior to burning if you so desire. It can also do widescreen menus and has pretty good functionality. It is payware however. it would be worthwhile to download a demo and check it out for yourself.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am about to switch, but is there anything that convertxtodvd does better? i dont care that it costs $
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry never used convertxtodvd so I can't compare. I just know tda can import drv-ms. Just be aware it will actually make a secondary file so make sure you have the disc space if you want to do several shows in a row.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Sorry never used convertxtodvd so I can't compare. I just know tda can import drv-ms. Just be aware it will actually make a secondary file so make sure you have the disc space if you want to do several shows in a row.

I have plenty of space, not a problem.

Thanks for all the help. What a great forum
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to help.

Compliments should go to the administrator - BALDRICK
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TDA (version 3) is a very good authoring software, however from my experience it can tend to hang indefinitely with High Definition recordings from windows media centre (DVR-MS) if they are longer than 2 hours. This hanging/hour-glassing doesn't occur with SDTV recordings via WMC.

I've tested identical lengthy HDTV recordings done via the software which came with my tuner (Compro E700), and TDA doesn't have an issue with these - so I've attributed it to the HDTV / WMC causing TDA 3 to have issues. (Not sure how the new version TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 performs yet).

For lengthy HDTV I've used VideoReDo without any issues.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 things i noticed with TMPGenc:

to add the dvr-ms video clip took over 2 minutes to do (convertxtodvd takes under 10 secs)

while creating the dvd, it got stuck twice and gave me an access denied error. I have since rebooted and will try a third time, but if that doesnt work, Im uninstalling

I looked in videoredo, but they dont support h.264 yet. If TMPGenc gives me the error again, Im gonna have to settle with it though.

Another side question, my new directv h22 box (HD DVR) is connected to the broadband and I can view the shows on my home network. anyone know how i can pull those off the receiver's HD and burn a dvd with it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by schindyguy
    Another side question, my new directv h22 box (HD DVR) is connected to the broadband and I can view the shows on my home network. anyone know how i can pull those off the receiver's HD and burn a dvd with it?
    Check to see if it has a firewire port. If it does that will be your best bet.

You will need to transfer with Capdvhs I believe. However it will be a realtime transfer, not a file dump.

Also be warned many channels are encrypted even if they aren't the premium channels. So this may mean you can get a show transferred but nothing will edit it.

You do have some other options. You can check into hauppauge's HD PVR which allows recordings via COMPONENT cable for high def and fiber optic for audio.

There are also the HAVA pvr devices that I believe do the same thing as hauppauges..

I think the hauppauge device goes for about 199.99 online give or take. That records in high def from what I'm told so any dvd burning will require a downconversion to standard definition.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda,

thanks for the info. do you think it would work with my current htpc. or will the hd be too much on the system:

Vista Ultimate MCE Sp1 32 bit
    AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 3800 2 ghz
    4 gb ram
    hauppaunge wintv pvr PCI II
    nvidia geforce 7600GT (which has 2 dvi ports. one of them runs a 'dvi to hdmi' cable into my plasma tv)

I would opt to swap it out for hauppage hd version, but dont know if it will work well with the system. i cant stand stutters, hiccups,..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The dual core is fine. The ram is fine too.

You're main issue will be with the video card. I'm sure it doesn't do hdcp since its dvi. That will impact you if you decide to upgrade to bluray. For now however its processing power of the card.

For high def I recommend AT LEAST a nvidia 8400 or an equivalent ati card at that level. I had that nvidia 8400 on vista system and once I upgraded to a dual core processor high def bluray played great.

And please note the hauppauge hd pvr I'm talking about is a standalone unit that would connect externally to your pc not internally. This is not a tuner but a go between device.

I'm sorry I don't have a link handy for you to get into more detail.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by schindyguy
    2 things i noticed with TMPGenc:

to add the dvr-ms video clip took over 2 minutes to do (convertxtodvd takes under 10 secs)

while creating the dvd, it got stuck twice and gave me an access denied error. I have since rebooted and will try a third time, but if that doesnt work, Im uninstalling

I looked in videoredo, but they dont support h.264 yet. If TMPGenc gives me the error again, Im gonna have to settle with it though.

So i ended up dumping TMPGEnc after the access error again. But on the upside I am so happy with VideoReDo, not only does it work very fast, but I can point it to the file over my network (on the htpc) and not have to copy it to my laptop. It has like 3 steps too. Way better than TMPGEnc IMO
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uh oh!!!!

While I thought VideoReDo was the best, it got almost to build the DVD and said then gave me an error that it was a copy-protected DVR-MS file and couldnt continue??
    WTF? I thought thats what the program was for....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any payware which supports DVR-ms files will also support Its DRM ...... gotta be part of the license agreement.

The solution is NOT TO RECORD WITH ANYTHING MS!

How about the WinTV software.......does the job for me with a PVR 250 card.

GB-PVR is a free option. You mentioned Sage TV and the other one, which I didn't care for at all.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SmokieStover
    Any payware which supports DVR-ms files will also support Its DRM ...... gotta be part of the license agreement.

The solution is NOT TO RECORD WITH ANYTHING MS!

How about the WinTV software.......does the job for me with a PVR 250 card.

GB-PVR is a free option. You mentioned Sage TV and the other one, which I didn't care for at all.
    Well whats not payware that will strip it? I mean this is getting ridiculous. I hate MS so much. I have been so used to MCE interface changing to another media center will be annoying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @schindyguy - try those other tools to get a mpg first. Mcebuddy or dvrmstoolbox.
    Quote Quote